Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zebranz
So, is anything happening with this? Just curious (Oct 3, 2019)

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
kmersh
MazdaMP
bajong
sandiego1k
thesilb
HnlJay
nachosdelux
wtigerFF
a1bengal
benolaa
LeslieandDiane
SPN Lifer +1
YRKInsider
texd
IAHtraveler
nzpilot
zebranz

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
deek
honmani2
lax2jfk2lax (recd 2nd lifetime for hitting 2MM which I gifted)
seacarl

Related thread: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) Original thread -- focused on the basic access issue, most lifetime membership posts have been moved to this lifetime thread

Print Wikipost

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
I did receive a paper letter but I did not keep it..I don't think I have saved any correspondence from UA during those days, including a congratulation letter when I first made 1MM that said "As a 1MM, your mileage plus miles will never expire". (I once brought this miles-never-expire up with a former VP but he said that was before his time and that he will have to do some research, then he was fired after the merger with CO).

To ctownflyer: Yes I wrote to Oscar but did not hear anything back.
I also wrote a letter and have not received a response. My operating assumption is that no decision has yet been made. In the for what it is worth department Delta grandfathered in its lifetime SkyClub members.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:21 pm

I have emailed repeatedly. No response until I received a phone message stating that they are not ignoring me, but they are still looking at the issue. I will be calling back soon. This policy change stinks for lifers.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:42 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The United Club lifetime member situation is an example of a general principle I have tried to teach my family:

When you pay up front for services to be delivered far in the future with no further payment, the seller is likely to find ways to avoid delivering the promised services. Ways up to and including bankruptcy.

Insurance is somewhat different in that the company needs to keep selling its promises year after year. FF programs also have this characteristic. The company's self-interest prevents extreme abuse of customers.

United no longer sells lifetime memberships, so they don't lose future sales by breaking their promises to people who bought the memberships years ago. Unless the broader public hears about it.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
I'm also a UC life member after flying 3MM on UA over 30 years. Yesterday when accessing the LAS UC club, I was told that as of 11/1/19, I will no longer be able to access any UC club if I am on another airline.

What?!

I can almost understand if I buy an annual club pass and now I know that if I renew the pass, it comes with this new condition. But for those of us who endured 3MM butt-in-seat miles?

UA should at least give an exception to lifetime UA members, IMHO.

Originally Posted by deek
Me too; I use the UC for many non-UA trips since I'm Lifetime UC and Lifetime 1K. I no longer fly much on UA; moved most of my travel to DL.
Same here. I switched to AS a few years ago after UA implemented changes that prompted my leaving. That said, having lifetime UC membership no longer means lifetime if it requires only UA travel.

Originally Posted by libuser
For those like myself with lifetime memberships, re: the new access policy. I just talked to United Club folks and have been informed that the Lifetime Members will be exempt from the new policy that requires that one flies UA. This is an excellent news that is welcome. Nothing official but was told that they will stick to the original T&C that were valid once the membership was purchased.
I hope you're right. I just went into the LAS UC and the agent there told me about the policy change come November. And this is after I presented by lifetime UC card.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 28, 2019 at 10:01 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
UA will not be grandfathering in lifetime club members (though they did offer me a carve-out at my local UA club)

Accor took the same position recently with lifetime Fairmont accounts, but caved when I got lawyers involved. I guess we'll go down the same path here and see where it goes.
Amazing that UA is always happy to copy the bad of Delta but never their good.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
UA will not be grandfathering in lifetime club members (though they did offer me a carve-out at my local UA club)

Accor took the same position recently with lifetime Fairmont accounts, but caved when I got lawyers involved. I guess we'll go down the same path here and see where it goes.
Interesting I thought someone said they WERE going to grandfathering in LT million miller members. How are you a LT UC member? Miles? I like the local "carve-out" great people in CLE club.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Anyone out there get their LT UC the same way I did? I have no recollection at all what was promised at the time! I bought it in ~1990 with 100,000 EA miles (Ionosphere Club). When ONEpass was created, it was absorbed into the CO Presidents Club network. Then with the UA merger, it became a LT Red Carpet Club and finally United Club membership. No complaints -- I've certainly gotten my miles' worth over 30 years!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
UA will not be grandfathering in lifetime club members (though they did offer me a carve-out at my local UA club).
Delta did not make a decision for life members until the last minute, either. I’m optimistic that ultimately UA will follow suit. How many lifetime members can still be out there? The variable cost of food consumption and impact of crowding just can’t be that great.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP

Thanks for pursuing. I'm with you on fighting this to November and beyond.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
What I haven't seen mentioned here is the failure of two separate lawsuits against UA brought by "lifetime" members of Silver Wings.

I was one of two named plaintiffs in the first of the suits. We lost because we could not come up with any paperwork documenting the T&Cs of our original signup. The onus was on us rather than UA. Ironically, I finally found my old Silver Wings membership card just a few months ago, but even that didn't include T&Cs so I doubt it would have made a difference in the outcome.

In a subsequent suit, summary judgment was granted against the plaintiff. My last post on the topic is here.

Gary Leff wrote about the second suit here. He also went back to the Million-Mile-Flyer suit to quote two judges' colloquy with a UA lawyer:

Judge Hamilton: To understand the difference between lifetime and fingers crossed? That lifetime doesn’t mean lifetime?

United: That lifetime means lifetime unless…

Judge Wood: Unless we change our mind.

Judge Hamilton: Unless we change our mind.

United: Yes, that’s exactly right. That’s the case.
I have no idea if those judgments have any relevance to the lifetime club memberships but bring this up FWIW. I do wish the affected lifetime members well. I can empathize.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by nomad420
Interesting I thought someone said they WERE going to grandfathering in LT million miller members. How are you a LT UC member? Miles? I like the local "carve-out" great people in CLE club.
Paid cash for it to CO in 2007.

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer

Delta did not make a decision for life members until the last minute, either. I’m optimistic that ultimately UA will follow suit. How many lifetime members can still be out there? The variable cost of food consumption and impact of crowding just can’t be that great.
I'm told this is UA's final decision after researching the issue for the past 5 months since I brought it to their attention.

Originally Posted by soartoday
Thanks for pursuing. I'm with you on fighting this to November and beyond.
Do we have any lawyers that are lifetime club members?

Originally Posted by Fredd
What I haven't seen mentioned here is the failure of two separate lawsuits against UA brought by "lifetime" members of Silver Wings.

I was one of two named plaintiffs in the first of the suits. We lost because we could not come up with any paperwork documenting the T&Cs of our original signup. The onus was on us rather than UA. Ironically, I finally found my old Silver Wings membership card just a few months ago, but even that didn't include T&Cs so I doubt it would have made a difference in the outcome.

In a subsequent suit, summary judgment was granted against the plaintiff. My last post on the topic is here.

Gary Leff wrote about the second suit here. He also went back to the Million-Mile-Flyer suit to quote two judges' colloquy with a UA lawyer:

I have no idea if those judgments have any relevance to the lifetime club memberships but bring this up FWIW. I do wish the affected lifetime members well. I can empathize.
​​​​​​​I don't think I ever got any paperwork from CO.

One thing in our favor is that the paid club membership had nothing to due with flying, We were allowed to access the club at any time, even if not flying.
The deregulation act shielded UA from other lawsuits that had to do with flying, but I would think this falls outside of that scope.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Fredd

Yeah, UA is very emboldened not losing any of the "lifetime" suits - and they'll simply argue in this case the members still have lifetime status, but access rules are changing - and they'll claim T's and C's allow them to do that. I think the CO paid memberships will need to show T's and C's that grant unlimited access for any reason and CO not having a right to make modifications to the agreement. Then again, November is still a long way away.

I think the bigger shoe that may drop in the future, and I think a decent possibility, is the 2MM fliers who got lifetime UC like myself get it revoked.....
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I bought a lifetime membership from CO. I don't recall getting any paperwork. It was an on-line purchase and I know I didn't print whatever T&C that were displayed n the web site.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Yeah, UA is very emboldened not losing any of the "lifetime" suits - and they'll simply argue in this case the members still have lifetime status, but access rules are changing - and they'll claim T's and C's allow them to do that. I think the CO paid memberships will need to show T's and C's that grant unlimited access for any reason and CO not having a right to make modifications to the agreement. Then again, November is still a long way away.

I think the bigger shoe that may drop in the future, and I think a decent possibility, is the 2MM fliers who got lifetime UC like myself get it revoked.....
The reason they won those suits was because of shielding from the deregulation act. We'll need to consult with lawyers, but there's a decent chance that a paid club membership that did not require any flight may not enjoy that protection.

UA may want to settle quickly if we can pierce that, as they don't want to set a precedent that can wind up hurting them in other cases down the road.

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I bought a lifetime membership from CO. I don't recall getting any paperwork. It was an on-line purchase and I know I didn't print whatever T&C that were displayed n the web site.
Same as my recollection. I have an email receipt for the purchase from 9/19/07, but that's it. Does anyone recall getting terms for their purchase?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 9, 2019 at 11:12 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
The reason they won those suits was because of shielding from the deregulation act. We'll need to consult with lawyers, but there's a decent chance that a paid club membership that did not require any flight may not enjoy that protection.

UA may want to settle quickly if we can pierce that, as they don't want to set a precedent that can wind up hurting them in other cases down the road.
I'm not a lawyer, but given previous holdings on the ADA and the broad preemption language "...may not enact or enforce a law, regulation, or other provision having the force and effect of law related to a [...] service of an air carrier that may provide air transportation under this subpart." (49 USC 41713(b)(1) and (b)(4)(A))

I think it's pretty tough, especially in light of previous holdings on the ADA to argue that the Clubs aren't a "service" of an air carrier -- its not inconceivable that the "service" at play here can be distinguished from the "service" in, e.g., American v. Wollens -- but it doesn't seem like it's that easy of a distinction to make -- both the FQTV program and Club are clearly ancillary services that aren't intrinsic to the basic air transportation. A further nail, from my perspective, is that Wollens cites Morales v. TWA as "...defin[ing] the 'relating to' language in the ADA preemption clause as 'having a connection with or reference to airline `rates, routes, or services'."

Clearly the primary purpose of the clubs is to attract/retain and make comfortable certain customers of the airline service and I think that would pull it in to the "relating to..." preemption language in that it has a connection with and reference to the airline services. (The fact that UA has been requiring a BP on any airline for the past couple years would seem to strengthen that relationship, IMO)

Not that I agree with the "lifetime isn't lifetime" posture (and I really don't like the move for the couple times a year I can't fly UA for whatever reason) but I don't think getting around the ADA is likely to be a successful endeavor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.