Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zebranz
So, is anything happening with this? Just curious (Oct 3, 2019)

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
kmersh
MazdaMP
bajong
sandiego1k
thesilb
HnlJay
nachosdelux
wtigerFF
a1bengal
benolaa
LeslieandDiane
SPN Lifer +1
YRKInsider
texd
IAHtraveler
nzpilot
zebranz

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
deek
honmani2
lax2jfk2lax (recd 2nd lifetime for hitting 2MM which I gifted)
seacarl

Related thread: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) Original thread -- focused on the basic access issue, most lifetime membership posts have been moved to this lifetime thread

Print Wikipost

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
....the lifetime membership contract ..
was there such a thing and do you have a copy?
.... A VP in Chicago wrote back to offer me a refund, but reminded me that the membership also allows me to use the RCC when I do not fly UA and when I meet friends at the airport, and also use RCC meeting rooms to hold meetings. ..
If you have that in writing and signed it could be a useful document.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Not so unless UA can produce the lifetime membership contract in the 1990s that shows they have the complete sole discretion to prevent members to enter RCC.

Why not us who purchased lifetime membership from UA?

I purchased my lifetime membership for $2500 in the late 1990s in Taipei. Shortly afterward UA announced that all business class travelers can use RCC free of charge. I wrote to UA and wanted my payment refunded. A VP in Chicago wrote back to offer me a refund, but reminded me that the membership also allows me to use the RCC when I do not fly UA and when I meet friends at the airport, and also use RCC meeting rooms to hold meetings. I decided not to return my membership because I travel to HKG frequently on other airlines, and the meeting rooms were indeed useful to me at SEA and SFO. After UA stopped selling lifetime membership I contact them about meeting room usage, and was told that yes, your right to use RCC meeting rooms for 3 hours(? can't remember) is in the lifetime membership contract and will continue be effective.

I also remember a conversation with a UA manager at TPE who complained to me that some people working at the airport were using RCC nearly daily but not flying to anywhere, That was the time the RCC was in the land side. She said they asked HQ and suggested some way to limit the use, but was told that there was nothing UA could do until these people's annual membership is up for renewals.
Have you written into UA yet?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:49 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I paid about 2700 for my wife and I (Senior price with credit for 3 year membership in place at the time) and I when I was about 62 back in about 2006 from Continental.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eroknyc
A lifetime member of the united club should have access to the club, regardless of what airline they are flying. It's funny, b/c they put an expiration date of 2099 on the accounts, which doesn't make it a lifetime membership, but rather one in which they are assuming I will be dead in 2099....

Seems like par for the course with United... Sad they have gone so far downhill.

I paid $3,400 cash for this membership.
I can see where most of the lifetime members will probably die before 2099 anyways. If I recall correctly the last lifetime membership price was about $5,500 (i was thinking about buying one) and was last offered in 2012/2013 and if you think the target audience for signing up for this would be age 21 or older since alcohol was served in the lounges. You would have to think that the 21 year old who signed up most likely won't be alive by the end of 2099 ( 108 years old) let alone mostly everyone else here was probably in their mid 20s to 60s in 2012/2013. Even if a 21 year old could buy one I don't believe many plopped down $5,500 for lifetime memberships anyways, but I could also be mistaken. There will probably be a few members living in by the time 2099 rolls around, but will the United Clubs still be in operation at that point?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
The 2099 expiration is probably just because their system can’t handle anything later, or an undefined expiration.

It’s pretty unlikely that airports will even exist in their current form by 2099. The chances of United even still being around by then seem pretty slim too.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Sykes
The 2099 expiration is probably just because their system can’t handle anything later, or an undefined expiration.

It’s pretty unlikely that airports will even exist in their current form by 2099. The chances of United even still being around by then seem pretty slim too.
Won't we have our own flying cars by then?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by chavala
Won't we have our own flying cars by then?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Then you probably aren't familiar with the Million Miler lawsuit - which UA took all the way to the Court of Appeals and prevailed. Way more bad publicity than this thread - and affected a lot more people. UA doesn't care about the blowback

Million Miler Sues United [Judgment for UA Jan 2014] Judgment Affirmed Dec 2014
After over a decade on FlyerTalk, I very clearly remember that thread. Fundamentally the million-miler lawsuit was about a broken promise, and this potential conflict is about interpretation of a contract where people paid for something and the counterparty wants to unilaterally change the definition of that something.

We're also not yet at the point where the proposed change has been implemented.

While I hope that UA decides, again, to follow the lead of DL by grandfathering in their lifetime members, if they do not I very much would not be surprised if this thread attracted far more publicity.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:57 pm

Very good points, I might have been one of the younger ones that was the last to purchase the continental president's club lifetime, it was $3,400 and included a partner. At the end of the day, I agree with you, I don't expect united to be around by then the way they are going. Maybe they think they have such an awesome product that it will force people to fly United again?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
was there such a thing and do you have a copy?
If you have that in writing and signed it could be a useful document.
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Have you written into UA yet?
I did receive a paper letter but I did not keep it..I don't think I have saved any correspondence from UA during those days, including a congratulation letter when I first made 1MM that said "As a 1MM, your mileage plus miles will never expire". (I once brought this miles-never-expire up with a former VP but he said that was before his time and that he will have to do some research, then he was fired after the merger with CO).

To ctownflyer: Yes I wrote to Oscar but did not hear anything back.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
To ctownflyer: Yes I wrote to Oscar but did not hear anything back.
Try writing again to GS and to Oscar.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Try writing again to GS and to Oscar.
Writing to "Oscar" isn't writing to Oscar. The well-known email address for him goes to a separate customer service team for resolution. I doubt he sees any individual message, though he may get a summary of the issues that are received.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
Writing to "Oscar" isn't writing to Oscar. The well-known email address for him goes to a separate customer service team for resolution. I doubt he sees any individual message, though he may get a summary of the issues that are received.
I'm well aware, thanks. He has an executive response team in place for emails to him.

FWIW, Oscar's office has offered me a carve-out exception at my local airport's club when I travel. I told them that I did not find this acceptable, though it's better than nothing. They said that they have not heard from many members about this issue, so they don't think most lifetime members even care about the change.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:39 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
They said that they have not heard from many members about this issue
Not yet. There is also the fact that a company never hears from 90% of customers it alienates. They simply boycott the company silently and tell their friends how the company cheated them.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I'm well aware, thanks. He has an executive response team in place for emails to him.

FWIW, Oscar's office has offered me a carve-out exception at my local airport's club when I travel. I told them that I did not find this acceptable, though it's better than nothing. They said that they have not heard from many members about this issue, so they don't think most lifetime members even care about the change.
When I wrote in to customer service, they wanted to give me a $100 ecert. I fly out of CLE and they did not offer me a carve out, However I don't write a blog either.
I have the unfortunate circumstance of having bought 2 LT passes. The first was in the late 1980's with CO for a price I refuse to reveal, it was so little. But the second was for my wife who travels by herself a lot. I bought that from UA in the mid 2000's for $3400.

I never expected to have this restriction placed on either membership. However, I am going to get Mrs Radonc to write in. Who knows, maybe they will send us another ecert. (I never took them up on their first offer).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.