Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Effective November 1, 2019, United Club customers, including members and their guests, and one-time pass holders will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club locations. Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx

"Contracted partner" appears to refer to non *A partners and those flights will need to be on a UA ticket to qualify.
*A partner flights also qualify even if not on a UA ticket.

"Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights" appears to mean that passengers are only permitted to access the United Club at the airport(s) at which their same-day flight either arrives or departs.

This requirement also applies to guest(s).

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has had two parallel discussions, which will become even more confusing as the new UC access policy is implemented, so the original thread has been split into two separate threads.

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) will be for the discussion of if UA should offer an exception to the new UC access policy (only with same day BP with UA or partners) for Lifetime United Club members.

This thread will continue as the discussion thread for the base policy and issues in its implementation. But please discuss the lifetime membership concerns in the other thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Related thread Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP
Print Wikipost

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by NDtraveler
I am not saying an International ticket. If you have a club membership, why couldn't you buy a ticket later in the day (say AUS-IAH) and then refund it when you leave the club?
Because that would be fraud.

It’s pretty specifically prohibited by the contract of carriage too:
UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems fraudulent, abusive, illogical, fictitious, which are booked and/or reserved with no intention of flying, or for which the passenger makes a misrepresentation without notice to the passenger or the individual making the booking. The types of improper reservations that UA will cancel without notice include, but are not limited to: reservations made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger; reservations made to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, MP award inventory, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available; reservations made to manipulate, abuse, or circumvent any of UA’s fare rules, policies or provisions; reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities; and reservations with connections that depart before the arrival on the inbound flight.
UA’s Remedies for Violation(s) of Rules - Where a Ticket is purchased and used in violation of the law, these rules or any fare rule (including Hidden Cities Ticketing, Point Beyond Ticketing, Throwaway Ticketing, or Back-to-Back Ticketing), UA, without notice to the passenger, has the right in its sole discretion to take all actions permitted by law, including but not limited to, the following:
Invalidate the Ticket(s);
Cancel any remaining portion of the Passenger’s itinerary;
Confiscate any unused Flight Coupons;
Permanently ban or refuse to board the Passenger and to carry the Passenger’s baggage, unless the difference between the fare paid and the fare for transportation used is collected prior to boarding;
Assess the Passenger for the actual value of the Ticket which shall be the difference between the lowest fare applicable to the Passenger’s actual itinerary and the fare actually paid;
Delete miles in the Passenger’s frequent flyer account (UA’s MileagePlus Program), revoke the Passenger’s Elite status, if any, in the MileagePlus Program, terminate the Passenger’s participation in the MileagePlus Program, or take any other action permitted by the MileagePlus Program Rules in UA’s “MileagePlus Rules;” and
Take legal action with respect to the Passenger.

Last edited by Sykes; Dec 10, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LegalTender
... Buy-ins stopped 09/30/2011. A $5900 membership divided by 7 comes to $842.85/year. They're the ones to be consoled.
Divide by 8 would be a more appropriate number as the benefit last until 10/31/2019 -- 8 years, so about $735 on a simple arithmetic basis.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Sykes
Because that would be fraud.

It’s pretty specifically prohibited by the contract of carriage too:
I read those COC rules. I know of many passengers who make multiple same day reservations at differing times (and even on different airlines) using refundable fares. This allows them to work without having to terminate an ongoing business meeting to make a specified flight time. They simply cancel the upcoming flight that is going to be missed and move on to the next reservation. Is that considered fraud?
While it is true that same day changes make this less important, that is not true for heavily traveled routes that may be sold out or more importantly, be missing desired seats (especially in coach).
I have yet to hear of an airline giving those travelers heck for having multipe same day reservations (especially in the exorbitantly priced fully refundable fare class ).

And yes, add my name and Mrs Radonc1 (who has her own seperate LT membership) to the group.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by radonc1
I read those COC rules. I know of many passengers who make multiple same day reservations at differing times (and even on different airlines) using refundable fares. This allows them to work without having to terminate an ongoing business meeting to make a specified flight time. They simply cancel the upcoming flight that is going to be missed and move on to the next reservation. Is that considered fraud?
That specific pattern is not fraud, and in the current form of UA's contract of carriage it's not a specifically prohibited *ticketing* practice (ala HCT, TAT, PBT) but UA also warns you that those reservations are subject to cancellation without notice (Rule 5(H)). If you were to do it frequently, I can virtually guarantee that UA would come after you under the catchall of Rule 6(J)(5)

UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems fraudulent, abusive, illogical, fictitious, which are booked and/or reserved with no intention of flying, or for which the passenger makes a misrepresentation without notice to the passenger or the individual making the booking. The types of improper reservations that UA will cancel without notice include, but are not limited to: [...] reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities; [...]
When I'm in that situation I either don't book a return flight until I know when my business will be terminated or I book the latest possible flight and then move it up once I have a clearer picture of what's going in (remember, refundable tickets are also changeable tickets without regard to the SDC parameters), but I suppose to each his/her own.

In the specific context of club access I don't think it's unreasonable to argue if a pattern of behavior emerges where a passenger buys a UA ticket, presents that for the sole purpose of gaining access to a UC, then cancels/refunds the ticket that the ticket purchase was made with the intent to defraud UA. Once or twice can probably make the "last minute change of plans" argument convincingly, but if every week you buy a AAA-(anywhere ticket), scan into the club, then cancel the ticket no sane person would buy that you actually had the intent to use the ticket in any way other than to contravene UA's club access rules.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:42 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Ask the GS(?) member who IIRC had their account locked because they frequently booked travel for themselves +1 and then cancelled the +1 at the last minute, saying he had severe travel anxiety and could not tell until the moment of travel whether he would need help traveling or not. (Can't find a thread or post pointer handily, any inaccuracy in the retelling is the product of my faulty memory)
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Divide by 8 would be a more appropriate number as the benefit last until 10/31/2019 -- 8 years, so about $735 on a simple arithmetic basis.
And of course the membership still has ongoing value, just diminished somewhat.
I have yet to hear of an airline giving those travelers heck for having multipe same day reservations (especially in the exorbitantly priced fully refundable fare class ).
Carriers have absolutely gone after customers who abuse refundable fares for lounge access. Some of the more memorable instances include LH suing a frequent abuser for the value of the lounge access, and an AC SE100 whose status was revoked.
Originally Posted by Zorak
Ask the GS(?) member who IIRC had their account locked because they frequently booked travel for themselves +1 and then cancelled the +1 at the last minute, saying he had severe travel anxiety and could not tell until the moment of travel whether he would need help traveling or not. (Can't find a thread or post pointer handily, any inaccuracy in the retelling is the product of my faulty memory)
I think you mean this one: UA is as Loyal as a 3 Dollar Bill [account closed]
Xyzzy and Zorak like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,PC Plat,MR Lifetme Titanium,Ex-CO Plat,UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
Makes no sense for UA (or the other carriers) to offer their clubs as standalone. Probably did not matter back in the day. But, apparently there is sufficient use by those flying other carriers that it is now a factor. So, it's going away because it makes no sense.

Originally Posted by Billiken
Yet another reduction in benefits.
Was CO Plat and UA 1K since the merger.
Will post 4200 UA PQMs in 2018

Do your part.....guest in strangers whenever possible.
That's a useful solution. I am certain that if people start guesting in strangers, UA will eliminate the OA restriction.

Better away to address that is to simply limit people to some number of guests per year. When you're taking your family on vacation, they can enjoy the UC. If you're guesting in strangers or colleagues who could purchase their own memberships, you'll run out of passes quickly. Be careful what you wish for.
Be careful what you wish for. I don't think United's response would be to remove the OA restriction. It would probably cause them to limit guesting the way things are going..

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 24, 2018 at 8:07 pm Reason: repaired quote / formating
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Remember the days when you could access the club when you were not flying, say for a business meeting with someone flying in. Can you still do this. I completely disagree with the new policy. I fly other aiines like Southwest which has no club. If I pay 500 bucks a year for membership I should be able to use the club whenever I want.
Markie likes this.

Last edited by buckeyefanflyer; Jan 18, 2019 at 10:36 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Remember the days when you could access the club when you were not flying, say for a business meeting with someone flying in. Can you still do this.
No. Same-day BP (on any airline) has been required for a while.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
...If I pay 500 bucks a year for membership I should be able to use the club whenever I want...
It's not really a club, where club members own it, manage it, and set the rules.
chavala likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:08 pm

Has there been any announcements of any changes to this restrictive policy? I have not received any response to my email to Oscar.I did receive a response from the United club email but that was along the lines of quote sorry about that unquote and a pledge to refer to another department
milesforhire likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chavala
I wouldn't say 'most others". Many of us think the clubs are way too crowded, and welcome this change.
Agreed - but if you really want crowded - try the SFO Amex club.....
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Agreed - but if you really want crowded - try the SFO Amex club.....
I have tried it at SFO several times and it is indeed crowded, that is why I am not quick to jump ship so to say. I also feel sorry for the LT CO club members who clearly this change effects and apparently represents a change from the initial contract when they bought in. I have a close friend who had the LT membership through CO and uses the UC all the time as he is quite a "road warrior", he states he will probably join the class action suit if it indeed happens.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
... and apparently represents a change from the initial contract when they bought in. ....
And that is the question as MMers found out. UA has been through in their agreements giving UA complete sole discretion.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
And that is the question as MMers found out. UA has been through in their agreements giving UA complete sole discretion.
Based on DL's reversal and UAs hesitation, this may not be the same case. The courts may not toss out a case of paid club memberships like they tossed out benefits earned from flights due to the deregulation act.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.