Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zebranz
So, is anything happening with this? Just curious (Oct 3, 2019)

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
kmersh
MazdaMP
bajong
sandiego1k
thesilb
HnlJay
nachosdelux
wtigerFF
a1bengal
benolaa
LeslieandDiane
SPN Lifer +1
YRKInsider
texd
IAHtraveler
nzpilot
zebranz

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
deek
honmani2
lax2jfk2lax (recd 2nd lifetime for hitting 2MM which I gifted)
seacarl

Related thread: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) Original thread -- focused on the basic access issue, most lifetime membership posts have been moved to this lifetime thread

Print Wikipost

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'd wager more likely than not, UA lawyers haven't debated this whatsoever and haven't even been looped in. My opinion, DL havesn't debated this either and they announced months ago before UA.
I'm working my way through another lifetime dispute with Fairmont and their lawyers are heavily involved.
I'd be very surprised if UA makes a decision here without involving their legal team.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
I bought my lifetime RCC membership around 2000. At that time membership allowed access to any RCC (both land side and air side) with no restriction of same day travel and certainly no restriction of airlines we fly. I used the HKG RCC many times when I flew other airlines, and continued to do so today flying non *A airlines. Actually that was the main benefit for me because most my flights are international on UA or *A and always have lounge access per *A Gold. Now this will not be possible next year according to recent news.

Since San Diego 1K mentioned a 2000 RCC book, I wonder if the right of access under lifetime membership is in a contract good for lifetime or if UA can change rules every year? I know the 4 hours free conference room use was honored until there was no more conference room, so it appears that the benefit stated in the original lifetime membership was still valid relative recently. What about access to all RCC (or UC now) without special conditions? If UA has the right to change the rules and the rules bound on original lifetime members, what if they decides in the future that each use will cost $27 as the basic level of Priority Pass membership stipulates? Or each guest has to pay $27?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 24, 2018 at 2:01 am Reason: moved to active thread
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: UA AA WN DL BA LH
interested

I'm too new to the sight to edit the post and add my name, but I am interested.
My wife and I both bought lifetime passes from CO prior to the merger with UA.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flyer austin
I'm too new to the sight to edit the post and add my name, but I am interested.
My wife and I both bought lifetime passes from CO prior to the merger with UA.
I did it on your behalf
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
A little help please
I have been looking at what UC life time members are doing in regards to the new rules limiting admission to passengers on UA or *A tickets only. As probably previously noted, the new rules are not what we agreed to at the time of purchase.
When I wrote to customer service, they basically told me to go suck eggs but do it with a $100 e-cert The last thing I was trying to do was shake them down for a certificate.

While I don't fly on other airlines very much, I go through CLE, and there is only 1 lounge (UC) and i use both UA and AA. Losing the UC will not make me happy in the slightest.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 10, 2018 at 1:10 pm Reason: moved to existing thread
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
When I wrote to customer service, they basically told me to go suck eggs but do it with a $100 e-cert The last thing I was trying to do was shake them down for a certificate.
I doubt UA plans to exempt LIfetime members if they're offering a door prize. They've spoken.

Buy-ins stopped 09/30/2011. A $5900 membership divided by 7 comes to $842.85/year. They're the ones to be consoled.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Hence the question, does a paid club membership that had no airline ticket requirement fall under the ADA?
And does UA want this to be the test case?
I'd wager that UAs lawyers have been debating this since I raised the issue.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'd wager more likely than not, UA lawyers haven't debated this whatsoever and haven't even been looped in. My opinion, DL havesn't debated this either and they announced months ago before UA.
I'm working my way through another lifetime dispute with Fairmont and their lawyers are heavily involved.
I'd be very surprised if UA makes a decision here without involving their legal team.

"Dear ctownflyer,

I have been in contact with our Director of Premium Services who is working with our legal department to determine if there is an exception. Again, I am so sorry this is taking so long. As a goodwill gesture for your patience while we look into this matter, I have deposited 10,000 bonus miles to your MileagePlus account. I will update you as soon as I know more.

Regards,
xxx
Executive Services, United Airlines
Corporate Customer Care
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Thank you for your leadership in this matter and thank you for keeping us posted.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
"Dear ctownflyer,

I have been in contact with our Director of Premium Services who is working with our legal department to determine if there is an exception. Again, I am so sorry this is taking so long. As a goodwill gesture for your patience while we look into this matter, I have deposited 10,000 bonus miles to your MileagePlus account. I will update you as soon as I know more.

Regards,
xxx
Executive Services, United Airlines
Corporate Customer Care
I received a small e-cert goodwill gesture as well, but this seems to indicate that perhaps they do not plan to change the policy... Hoping for the best, though.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Just posting from Delta, Delta Sky Club did make a last minute change to lifetiime Sky Club Members.

While I do not know what details (other than many angry correspondence with the change policy) transpired to making the last minute change, here is the language of the policy change.

All Delta Sky Club Members* and their guest may only gain access to the Club in conjunction with same-day ticketed air travel on Delta or its partner airlines.

*Excludes existing Delta Sky Club Lifetime Members and their guests. Lifetime Members may continue to access the Club with same-day ticketed air travel on any airline. Note: Delta Sky Club Lifetime Membership are no longer offered.
Best,
Jiburi
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi
Just posting from Delta, Delta Sky Club did make a last minute change to lifetiime Sky Club Members.

While I do not know what details (other than many angry correspondence with the change policy) transpired to making the last minute change, here is the language of the policy change.

Best,
Jiburi
Thank you for sharing! Hope this bodes well for United following suit. It's the right thing to do.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi

Best,
Jiburi
Thanks, I've passed this onto the UA Exec dealing with this issue.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
^ UA is good at following DL...
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:14 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Premier Plat lifetime member here. I wrote UA to complain about this change and got nothing: A canned response that didn't even mention the issue, just a general meaningless apology. They even got my elite level wrong. I guess the door prizes go to people with higher status than Premier Plat!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Premier Plat lifetime member here. I wrote UA to complain about this change and got nothing: A canned response that didn't even mention the issue, just a general meaningless apology. They even got my elite level wrong. I guess the door prizes go to people with higher status than Premier Plat!
Well, hopefully we get the issue resolved rather than compensation, but you probably haven't reached the tight department. Try emailing Oscar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.