Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Effective November 1, 2019, United Club customers, including members and their guests, and one-time pass holders will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club locations. Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx

"Contracted partner" appears to refer to non *A partners and those flights will need to be on a UA ticket to qualify.
*A partner flights also qualify even if not on a UA ticket.

"Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights" appears to mean that passengers are only permitted to access the United Club at the airport(s) at which their same-day flight either arrives or departs.

This requirement also applies to guest(s).

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has had two parallel discussions, which will become even more confusing as the new UC access policy is implemented, so the original thread has been split into two separate threads.

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) will be for the discussion of if UA should offer an exception to the new UC access policy (only with same day BP with UA or partners) for Lifetime United Club members.

This thread will continue as the discussion thread for the base policy and issues in its implementation. But please discuss the lifetime membership concerns in the other thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Related thread Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP
Print Wikipost

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:43 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by LBJ
Continental reserves the right to restrict, alter or modify the fees, benefits, services and clubroom locations at any time with or without written notice to its members.
Those terms allow the airline to add and delete club locations and amenities. The terms say nothing about selectively denying members access to locations.

At the time these terms were written I doubt management conceived of selective denial of access to members. At that time even/odd gas rationing was in relatively recent memory. The terms say nothing about possibly allowing access to even membership numbers on even numbered days and to odd membership numbers on odd numbered days.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nsx
At the time these terms were written I doubt management conceived of selective denial of access to members.
The concept of retaining complete discretion to alter the terms of membership was certainly something that was understood and appreciated, then as now.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nsx
Those terms allow the airline to add and delete club locations and amenities. The terms say nothing about selectively denying members access to locations...
You're reading the T&Cs to your benefit. UA can/will say (to their benefit) this applies: "...Continental reserves the right to restrict, alter or modify the fees, benefits, services and clubroom locations at any time with or without written notice to its members.." (bolding mine). UA can, or will, say access w/ OAL carrier's BP is a benefit they are now restricting.

I think UA kind of screwed up when the called it a "Club". In a real "club", rules are set by members, who also manage the club. This is clearly not a "club" in the real sense - UA has all the cards.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
UA can also decide that members can only visit once per year.
The question is, will the courts allow them to do so.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
In this case, yes, IMHO the courts will allow them to do so if it comes to that. Your example is pretty absurd, but an airline limiting access to an airline lounge to those flying on it's planes (and variety of partners) is hardly absurd, nor unreasonable.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
While I am not thrilled at this change, as I use the UC a couple times a year when flying OALs, I will say I've been very pleasantly surprised that what sounded like a really silly restriction on Amex Centurion lounge access (must have BP for flight departing w/in three hours) has resulted in a truly drastic reduction in lounge crowding at SFO.

The lesson would seem to be there are more people taking advantage of generous lounge access rules than we might think.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
While I am not thrilled at this change, as I use the UC a couple times a year when flying OALs, I will say I've been very pleasantly surprised that what sounded like a really silly restriction on Amex Centurion lounge access (must have BP for flight departing w/in three hours) has resulted in a truly drastic reduction in lounge crowding at SFO.
I'll have to check that out - I stopped going quite awhile ago, partly overcrowding - partly the location is not optimal at SFO (at least for me). I'm surprised that many fliers with access hang out at the airport for greater than 3 hours......
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
IANAL, but there's a doctrine of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconscionability in contract law which would likely apply to this and other strawman examples presented. I think it would be a challenge to show the current proposed changes as being "unconscionable".
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'll have to check that out - I stopped going quite awhile ago, partly overcrowding - partly the location is not optimal at SFO (at least for me). I'm surprised that many fliers with access hang out at the airport for greater than 3 hours......
Besides a place to camp out during weather delays and other IRROPS, that's kinda the main reason I got PC/UC membership. Either connect tight DOM-INTL, or have a place to work for an afternoon.

It's only been a handful of times, but I have used the UA club when flying other airlines and once used the DL sky club when flying UA when I had both memberships.

Last edited by 50Kthehardway; Nov 21, 2018 at 11:09 am
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by SS255
I've only used the UC for three entries when not on a UA flight in the 10 years which I've been a member. The new rule probably won't apply to me more than a handful of times per decade -- but it does irk me that they could sell me something, and then change the rules on me.
This is pretty much my situation als.
SS255 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Alaska Club members can access four United Club when flying AS.

Wonder what will happen when UC members want lounge access when flying Alaska?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Acela Lounge access

My UC card gets me into the Acela Lounge when on Amtrak or even NJ Transit in NY Penn Station. They've never asked for proof I was traveling. I wonder if Amtrak will change its policy since Select Plus members currently get access to the UC.

From Amtrak's Web site: (click here and scroll to bottom of page)
  • United Club Members with a valid United Club Card are entitled to access ClubAcela locations and may bring in two guests or their spouses and children under the age of 21. United Global First or United BusinessFirst passengers with a flight coupon or boarding pass with a same-day, international segment in United Global First or United BusinessFirst are also entitled to ClubAcela access.
Also from Amtrak's Web site (edited)
As a Select Plus member, you'll receive all the standard benefits of membership along with even more benefits and ways to earn points toward reward travel, upgrades, hotel stays, car rentals and more
  • Access to United Club lounges with your member card
There's no indication on the Select Plus page on Amtrak's site (here) that a same day UA or *A ticket is required.

(Added note: I realize the Acela Clubs in NY and DC are bare bones, but the significant benefit of the DC club is pre-boarding ahead of everyone not in the club. With unreserved seats on the train, this is huge in terms of getting a seat you want, considering most northbound trains originate in DC, and gate licing in Union Station is as bad as at any UA Hub BG 1 line.)

Last edited by tarheelnj; Nov 26, 2018 at 12:50 pm Reason: added note at end
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
Being based in Austin, I often fly SWA to either DAL or LAS. This is a change I don't like. What is to prevent someone buying a same day ticket and then refunding it after their visit?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by NDtraveler
Being based in Austin, I often fly SWA to either DAL or LAS. This is a change I don't like. What is to prevent someone buying a same day ticket and then refunding it after their visit?
Nothing new—it’s always been possible to defraud United by buying an international ticket then refunding it. Of course, they know who you are and can certainly come after you (or refuse the refund since you’ve used part of the services) if they choose.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
I am not saying an International ticket. If you have a club membership, why couldn't you buy a ticket later in the day (say AUS-IAH) and then refund it when you leave the club?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.