Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zebranz
So, is anything happening with this? Just curious (Oct 3, 2019)

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
kmersh
MazdaMP
bajong
sandiego1k
thesilb
HnlJay
nachosdelux
wtigerFF
a1bengal
benolaa
LeslieandDiane
SPN Lifer +1
YRKInsider
texd
IAHtraveler
nzpilot
zebranz

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
deek
honmani2
lax2jfk2lax (recd 2nd lifetime for hitting 2MM which I gifted)
seacarl

Related thread: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) Original thread -- focused on the basic access issue, most lifetime membership posts have been moved to this lifetime thread

Print Wikipost

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I wrote to Oscar and got a call back yesterday.
First the agent was reading boilerplate terms that UA can change anything anytime, but the agent was surprised to learn about the details of the paid lifetime program and said she would go to bat for us once I explained everything.
Hoping for good news in writing!
Agent called me back, they're working this up the food chain to see if they're going to grandfather in lifetime members. Should have a decision by tomorrow.
If you're a lifetime member and haven't written in, you should write in now...
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Agent called me back, they're working this up the food chain to see if they're going to grandfather in lifetime members. Should have a decision by tomorrow.
​​​​​​
I wrote in with my story of purchasing my lifetime membership many years ago, when it was the largest single transaction of my life. The trust I showed United is not being reciprocated with this policy change.

[email protected]
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by soartoday
​​​​​​
I wrote in with my story of purchasing my lifetime membership many years ago, when it was the largest single transaction of my life. The trust I showed United is not being reciprocated with this policy change.

[email protected]
Thanks for the heads-up. Just sent a message.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:36 pm

The information I received did not seem to indicate an imminent decision of any kind, but rather a generic response indicating feedback would be provided to management.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:19 pm

Have any lifetime members who contacted United received any updates on potential exception or policy changes? I realize we still have 11 months to go
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by soartoday
Have any lifetime members who contacted United received any updates on potential exception or policy changes? I realize we still have 11 months to go
Not this one. I emailed scar and received nothing in reply.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Clearly it's still up in the air. Keep emailing them...
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:04 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Clearly it's still up in the air. Keep emailing them...
I believe a physical letter will receive more thoughtful review. What's the best address (and name?) to send it to?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:27 am

Email from UA exec CS, "I am still working with our Director of Premium Services to determine if there is an exception that can be made. I am sorry for the delay. Would you happen to have a copy of the original terms and conditions of the Presidents Club pass you purchased?"

Did anyone receive any terms and conditions with their lifetime membership purchase?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
"...Would you happen to have a copy of the original terms and conditions of the Presidents Club pass you purchased?"...

Seriously? UA/CO can't be bothered to find their own T&Cs????????????????????????????????????????????
hockeystl likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't think any of the airlines had a separate T&C's for their lifetime memberships, just a general one that covered all memberships.

https://web.archive.org/web/20061114...nge/rules.aspx
  • Continental reserves the right to restrict, alter or modify the fees, benefits, services and clubroom locations at any time with or without written notice to its members.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Seriously? UA/CO can't be bothered to find their own T&Cs????????????????????????????????????????????
Alternatively it may be as "saving face" option for I was wrong. I've offered it to clients on several occasions where they have a mistaken recollection of what they contracted for. "Oh, I'm very sorry, would you happen to be able to point me toward the provision you're referring to?" is sometimes less irksome than "As you can very plainly see in the contract...." (it also allows me to save face if in fact that provision was slipped in somewhere without me noticing but so far 95% of the time it's been an assumption not supported by the contract)
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Email from UA exec CS, "I am still working with our Director of Premium Services to determine if there is an exception that can be made. I am sorry for the delay. Would you happen to have a copy of the original terms and conditions of the Presidents Club pass you purchased?"

Did anyone receive any terms and conditions with their lifetime membership purchase?
Absent any official T&C's, it seems to be good business sense that any changes in access rules would not apply to Lifetime members. It doesn't mean that UA will apply good business sense in this regard -- or maybe my idea of good business sense doesn't jibe with UA's. But I'm sure they have the means to collect the data on how many of us use the UA Club when flying on other airlines. I would think that these entries represent a tiny percentage of overall entries.

I've only used the UC for three entries when not on a UA flight in the 10 years which I've been a member. The new rule probably won't apply to me more than a handful of times per decade -- but it does irk me that they could sell me something, and then change the rules on me.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by SS255
Absent any official T&C's, it seems to be good business sense that any changes in access rules would not apply to Lifetime members. It doesn't mean that UA will apply good business sense in this regard -- or maybe my idea of good business sense doesn't jibe with UA's. But I'm sure they have the means to collect the data on how many of us use the UA Club when flying on other airlines. I would think that these entries represent a tiny percentage of overall entries.
The business model is to charge an annual membership fee that covers your costs and count on most of the members to show up relatively infrequently. International carriers tend to grant access to lounges according to frequent flyer status or class of fare paid.

The second is more aboveboard and less impelled to depreciate value.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:52 am

in the 10 years or i have had my LT membership i have also used the UA lounges under 20 times when flying other airlines. I bet we are in the 0.0001% of all of their guests.
It would seem silly to impose that restriction on us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.