Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Effective November 1, 2019, United Club customers, including members and their guests, and one-time pass holders will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club locations. Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx

"Contracted partner" appears to refer to non *A partners and those flights will need to be on a UA ticket to qualify.
*A partner flights also qualify even if not on a UA ticket.

"Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights" appears to mean that passengers are only permitted to access the United Club at the airport(s) at which their same-day flight either arrives or departs.

This requirement also applies to guest(s).

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has had two parallel discussions, which will become even more confusing as the new UC access policy is implemented, so the original thread has been split into two separate threads.

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) will be for the discussion of if UA should offer an exception to the new UC access policy (only with same day BP with UA or partners) for Lifetime United Club members.

This thread will continue as the discussion thread for the base policy and issues in its implementation. But please discuss the lifetime membership concerns in the other thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Related thread Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP
Print Wikipost

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD

Effective November 1, 2019, United Club customers, including members and their guests, and one-time pass holders will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club locations
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx

When DL first announced this starting Jan 1, 2019, UA didn't follow, but now that AA is also requiring AA/OW/partner boarding pass, UA is completing the trifecta.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
This is pretty lame. I’ve actually used the UC twice in the past few months flying other airlines.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I’m interested in definition of “contracted partner”. I live on Maui but often fly to Honolulu on Hawaiian round-trip for a day or two. Hawaiian is a partner airline, but not Star Alliance. As I occasionally will grab breakfast at UC on arrival at HNL, I’m hoping “contracted partner” includes HA for lounge access purposes.

Outside of that, no effect on this UA-leashed idiot.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
This is pretty lame. I’ve actually used the UC twice in the past few months flying other airlines.
devalue of benefits to be sure. Though in many locations flying say WN and going to a UC isn’t practical. I think I did this in SNA once though.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Effective Nov 1, 2019 - seems like excessive notice......
ChinaShrek and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Not if year-long card renewal in the meantime hinges on change.
drewguy likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
UA continues to help me justify my AMEX Platinum card and entrance to Centurion lounges and Priority Pass lounges. With the change in 1K PQD qualification next year, OAL are my future. This lifetime member will be "unleashed" in 2020.

I have never paid for the UC as never saw the benefit (and rarely flew domestic on a regular basis until last year) and rarely use the UC when eligible these days as better options, but I would be annoyed if I paid for the UC and my usage would now decrease. Perhaps a matter or perspective of whether you are based in a hub or not.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat
No such thing.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Not if year-long card renewal in the meantime hinges on change.
My thoughts exactly. For CCs and paid memberships. UA correctly figured that no one will object to (potentially) losing 3 days of access.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

devalue of benefits to be sure. Though in many locations flying say WN and going to a UC isn’t practical. I think I did this in SNA once though.
I actually signed up for my membership in May flying WN out of SNA. The other times I’ve used the UC outside of flying *A were both at HKG.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
They did the exact same thing when they started requiring a boarding pass (from any airline, at that time) to enter. By giving 1+ years notice they avoid any complaints from people that that purchased a membership on the basis that they could access when not flying (previously), or flying on a non UA/*A/partner airline (this change).
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Here's the rule it's replacing: "All United Club customers, including members, are eligible to access United Club locations only when they have a flight arriving or departing on any airline the same day, and must show a boarding pass for entry."

Maybe this was aimed at non-flying Members that wanted Club access by purchasing, then refunding, a non-UA flight (to avoid UA excessive cancellation tracking).
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
UA either needs to eliminate 1-day passes or have 2 entrances to UC -- an express one for members and another for people who need to ask 500 questions how their 1-day pass works.
iluv2fly, Boraxo, UA_Flyer and 9 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm already on the fence about renewing UC membership next year, and this is definitely a push in the "no" direction.

The new rule makes much more sense for DL, since they give SkyClub membership to DMs as a choice benefit option. With UA, everyone - including 1K and GS - is paying for UC membership.
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
I actually think this will hurt a lot of one-time pass holders who get their access twice a year from the United Explorer Card.
Live4Upgrade likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by docbert
They did the exact same thing when they started requiring a boarding pass (from any airline, at that time) to enter. By giving 1+ years notice they avoid any complaints from people that that purchased a membership on the basis that they could access when not flying (previously), or flying on a non UA/*A/partner airline (this change).
Compare this with the reduction of P fare PQM announcements. A one year lead time is a GOOD thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.