Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Effective November 1, 2019, United Club customers, including members and their guests, and one-time pass holders will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club locations. Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx

"Contracted partner" appears to refer to non *A partners and those flights will need to be on a UA ticket to qualify.
*A partner flights also qualify even if not on a UA ticket.

"Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights" appears to mean that passengers are only permitted to access the United Club at the airport(s) at which their same-day flight either arrives or departs.

This requirement also applies to guest(s).

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has had two parallel discussions, which will become even more confusing as the new UC access policy is implemented, so the original thread has been split into two separate threads.

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) will be for the discussion of if UA should offer an exception to the new UC access policy (only with same day BP with UA or partners) for Lifetime United Club members.

This thread will continue as the discussion thread for the base policy and issues in its implementation. But please discuss the lifetime membership concerns in the other thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Related thread Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP
Print Wikipost

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
There is no question that the UCs at UA hubs are frequently over crowded, but I seriously doubt that this recent change will have much of any effect on that. How many people who visit the UC at EWR terminal C are flying on another airline? I would suspect very few. But at my home club at PHL, there are many people who use that club that are flying other airlines. The people who are UC members but fly from non-hub airports are the ones who will mostly be affected by this rule change.
I would argue that it's those who fly /through/ non-hub airports are more affected.

I live in a non-hub airport (CLE) and love me my local UC (and the staff, some of whom I see more frequently than my actual coworkers) -- but I spend maybe 30-45 minutes in the club on a "normal" flight. While CLE may have my greatest # of visits, the hub clubs by far have my greatest total time spent. I would similarly expect that the majority of club members (except those doing purely hub-to-hub flying, e.g. ORD-NYC) spend more time at clubs along their journey than at the ends of the journey.

Though the PHL club was a specific example I used when I wrote 1KV -- 99.5% of my business is on UA, but to fly to BDA on UA would have required an overnight in Toronto and AC metal to BDA and a similarly awful itinerary on the way back -- at like $4.5k or something similarly ridiculous. AA CLE-DFW-MIA-BDA-PHL-CLE was like $700... but I crashed in the PHL UC to maximize the membership and relationship value.

Back to the point... pre-Polaris the hubs were nothing like the zoos they are now, at least in ORD and EWR (don't have a big enough sample in SFO/IAH) -- ORD saw a significant reduction in capacity for the general population with the opening of the Polaris lounge that's only been slightly mitigated by the opening of the C club; EWR lost a huge amount of capacity with the large C club going Polaris only and the ever multiplying pop-up clubs have done some mitigation but its still nothing like the Pre-Po days. The C80-whatever club seems like an ant hill (and I'm still surprised that they didn't fill in at least part of the atrium over the food court to pick up floor space)
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Well Delta raised prices for SkyClub. Won't be long before the membership prices go up at United Clubs as well.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by seat38a
Well Delta raised prices for SkyClub. Won't be long before the membership prices go up at United Clubs as well.
That actually makes the most sense to truly reduce overcrowding and to give it a more exclusive feel. The price, in my opinion, seems way to low given the demand.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
That actually makes the most sense to truly reduce overcrowding and to give it a more exclusive feel. The price, in my opinion, seems way to low given the demand.
Yes, raising the price seems to be a win-win for United. Either the demand is elastic (will reduce overcrowding) or inelastic (will increase profit).

I wanna see the report where they found the UCs were overcrowded due to too many OAL flyers using them, instead of, you know, too many UA flyers using them. It's possible people on this United board are underestimating how many OAL flyers use the UC.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:37 am
Moderator: Hyatt, American Express; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Marriott Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by threeoh
Yes, raising the price seems to be a win-win for United. Either the demand is elastic (will reduce overcrowding) or inelastic (will increase profit).

I wanna see the report where they found the UCs were overcrowded due to too many OAL flyers using them, instead of, you know, too many UA flyers using them. It's possible people on this United board are underestimating how many OAL flyers use the UC.
Possible, but I'm not sure even they know. I have used UCs when flying DL, and used SCs when flying UA, and if I present my club membership card neither one has consistently asked me to show my BP. I'm sure they think they have a reasonable projection though, so...

Something much harder to suss out, though they probably also think they have a good guess for, is something already mentioned which is how many people who currently purchase memberships do so in large part because of the ability to enter on OAL and will now drop their membership.

And another intangible is how many people using SCs when flying UA are going to purchase UC memberships for 2019. If all the UA pax using SCs go to the UC and all the DL pax using UCs go to the SC then neither one will have relieved any crowding but due to the effects above I doubt either of those groups will have 100% conversion, plus, while we are concerned with crowding, the airlines are concerned with what will produce the most revenue. It seems exactly like a gym -- you want to charge the highest amount you can to the most number of people you can who won't actually show up as often as they think...
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
Possible, but I'm not sure even they know. I have used UCs when flying DL, and used SCs when flying UA, and if I present my club membership card neither one has consistently asked me to show my BP. I'm sure they think they have a reasonable projection though, so...
I assume the earlier "you must present same-day BP from any airline" requirement instituted a few years ago was to gather data on this. I can't imagine they were really worried about non-flyers over-using UC facilities.

Note that they don't have to always ask for a boarding pass, they just have to count which airline whenever they do. Or maybe they picked a handful of clubs for a period of a few months where they looked at and recorded every BP until they got enough data.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:29 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
What's United trying to accomplish? Lots of good input above. I agree the clubs are so crowded as to make them useless. I will also note for international travelers that if are returning to the states and require a transfer, you can not use the club on the return, unless you are a member. Not sure why, but I have witnessed this several times.

In addition to my United Club membership (lifetime), I have the AMEX Platinum card so I have access to the Centurion Lounge and Priority Pass Clubs. The Centurion Lounge is far superior to the United Club but is often so crowed that I simply turn around a walk out, SFO is my only experience to date. Most Priority Pass Clubs are similar to the United Club experience, with a few positive exceptions.

Price is the key to thinning the heard, if that's what United is trying to accomplish. They employ enough well trained economists to determine the price elasticity of membership, this would be a win-win. It's much easier for United to manage criticism around Club cost than to manage complaints about over crowding and lousy food from paying members. Look at the Polaris Clubs, lots of people grumbling about not getting in (but they forget about it 30 seconds after they walk out the door) but once you're in it's light years better than the United Club. I do have the same complaint about not having access on my return flights from overseas, for example this week I'm doing TPE-SFO-BOS and can't use the Polaris Club in SFO. Seems wrong to me.

Finely, from United's perspective, isn't this about earning an ROI on the United Club, along with customer satisfaction. If the answer is yes, put out a better product and charge accordingly. There are other low cost alternatives in the marketplace. Differentiate with quality, at a fair price.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
What's United trying to accomplish? Lots of good input above. I agree the clubs are so crowded as to make them useless. I will also note for international travelers that if are returning to the states and require a transfer, you can not use the club on the return, unless you are a member. ...
or the international arrival flight was Polaris / Business cabin UA operated
or have *G status.....
I do have the same complaint about not having access on my return flights from overseas, for example this week I'm doing TPE-SFO-BOS and can't use the Polaris Club in SFO. Seems wrong to me. ...
If TPE-SFO is UA operated and your are in Polaris Business, you have access to the Polaris Louge in SFO.
It is non-UA *A arrivals (with no status or UC membership) that don't have access on arrivals -- *A label these as departure lounges and your departure flight determines access. UA provides access also based on arrival for their international business customers flying UA.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
or the international arrival flight was Polaris / Business cabin UA operated
or have *G status..... If TPE-SFO is UA operated and your are in Polaris Business, you have access to the Polaris Louge in SFO.
It is non-UA *A arrivals (with no status or UC membership) that don't have access on arrivals -- *A label these as departure lounges and your departure flight determines access. UA provides access also based on arrival for their international business customers flying UA.
I am on United Metal, UA 872. I'll give it a shot, about 10 days ago I was coming back from ICN, went into the Centurion Lounge and walked out, totally jammed. I would definitely take advantage of the Polaris Club. Thanks.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I am on United Metal, UA 872. I'll give it a shot, about 10 days ago I was coming back from ICN, went into the Centurion Lounge and walked out, totally jammed. I would definitely take advantage of the Polaris Club. Thanks.
As WineCountryUA points out, you clearly have access to the SFO Polaris lounge, flying UA TPE-SFO-BOS with UA872 TPE-SFO in C. I have done this myself flying UA TPE-SFO-RNO.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I’m interested in definition of “contracted partner”. I live on Maui but often fly to Honolulu on Hawaiian round-trip for a day or two. Hawaiian is a partner airline, but not Star Alliance. As I occasionally will grab breakfast at UC on arrival at HNL, I’m hoping “contracted partner” includes HA for lounge access purposes.

Outside of that, no effect on this UA-leashed idiot.
+1. Only scenario I can think of where I’d be impacted.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you are flying UA Polaris, you can access both the Polaris lounge and the UA Arrivals Lounge with your TPE-SFO BP.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
If you are flying UA Polaris, you can access both the Polaris lounge and the UA Arrivals Lounge with your TPE-SFO BP.
Is the UA arrivals lounge still open? I haven't check recently, I like the shower facilities.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is the UA arrivals lounge still open?
Yes. It's even quieter now with the Polaris lounge open.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:52 pm

Well, with United charging me bag fees last month when I paid for the tickets using my MP CC (was eventually reimbursed) and now this, it's time to say goodbye to the Chase MP CC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.