Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Effective November 1, 2019, United Club customers, including members and their guests, and one-time pass holders will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club locations. Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx

"Contracted partner" appears to refer to non *A partners and those flights will need to be on a UA ticket to qualify.
*A partner flights also qualify even if not on a UA ticket.

"Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights" appears to mean that passengers are only permitted to access the United Club at the airport(s) at which their same-day flight either arrives or departs.

This requirement also applies to guest(s).

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has had two parallel discussions, which will become even more confusing as the new UC access policy is implemented, so the original thread has been split into two separate threads.

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) will be for the discussion of if UA should offer an exception to the new UC access policy (only with same day BP with UA or partners) for Lifetime United Club members.

This thread will continue as the discussion thread for the base policy and issues in its implementation. But please discuss the lifetime membership concerns in the other thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Related thread Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP
Print Wikipost

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
UA is in a tough position - expand Club footprint at a lot of airports to accommodate increasing traffic or limit access to avoid adding space (at considerable cost) as long as possible.
The economy will ultimately fix this for them.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I don't know - if I take step back and read all the posts with "I use the lounge but I fly <AA, DL, AS, etc>" this is obviously the behavior they are trying to stop.
Yes, but it's a two way street. Most of my UA tix (75% or higher) are international or premium t-con and grant lounge access anyway. I've justified the substantial additional cost of a UC membership in part by being able to access the UCs when flying other carriers at certain airports. Without that access, I might have 10-12 visits a year that require a membership.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Another thing that I don't get - most of the crowding issues really tend to be at hub clubs. And those clubs are not going to be seeing many OAL visitors because at the hubs the clubs aren't generally near/convenient to anything but UA and *A flights. It is at the non-hub clubs that you should see most such visitors but in my experience those aren't the super crowded ones. So seeing this as a crowd relief measure makes no sense to me.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
The club passes are not the primary benefit of the Explorer Card. It gives a free bag, priority boarding, CPU on award tix, and excellent travel coverage.
I beg to disagree. I already get the free bag and priority boarding from status. I rarely do award tickets so don't care about that particular CPU. The 2 main benefits for me are the increased award miles (but I can get that from other credit cards) and the 2 free club passes, which were a lifesaver when I was a Silver doing my annual international vacation. For the longest time, I used my Discover card rather than pay an annual fee for a Mileage Plus Explorer credit card because I'd rather get cash back than award miles.

No, but many of us use the UCs when we are flying other airlines. There are some airports, e.g., SAN, where this is very easy to do. I even use the UC when flying AS ex-SFO, since AS has no lounge.
I think of us on this board mistake our own personal experience or agendas as being normative. Out of the general flying public that pay annual membership fees for the UC or that take the Chase credit card to get the 2 free annual passes, I wonder how many of them really think about using the UC when flying other airlines? If I was flying other airlines regularly, I think I'd probably opt for a different credit card and the Priority Pass instead of paying for a UC membership.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I beg to disagree. I already get the free bag and priority boarding from status. I rarely do award tickets so don't care about that particular CPU. The 2 main benefits for me are the increased award miles (but I can get that from other credit cards) and the 2 free club passes
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I think of us on this board mistake our own personal experience or agendas as being normative.
Indeed.
Zorak likes this.

Last edited by Kacee; Nov 5, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I pay the money and only fly UA every year. As a club member for years, they have become overcrowded. Blame it on a good economy if you want. I only request a red carpet lane, for those of us that have a clue. I have limited time and as much as I care, I don't. So take your I'm traveling on SWA and purchased a pass from someone I don't know on xyz website and stop wasting my time waiting to hear your argument.

Sadly I think the lines will get longer when this happens, which is why I want a different line for actual club members. I'm not a lifetime member, and as such it's not my place to agree or disagree with your thoughts. I'm a former 1K, now Gold, with a paid membership to the club.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
The club passes are not the primary benefit of the Explorer Card. It gives a free bag, priority boarding, CPU on award tix, and excellent travel coverage.
This is totally a YMMV. Bags and boarding are better with status. CPU on award tix matters only if you book award tix for yourself, which what good FTer does with any frequency? The other travel benefits (car rental, etc.) are good, but lounge passes definitely have the potential for value.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by drewguy
This is totally a YMMV. Bags and boarding are better with status. CPU on award tix matters only if you book award tix for yourself, which what good FTer does with any frequency? The other travel benefits (car rental, etc.) are good, but lounge passes definitely have the potential for value.
Club passes are valuable if you love dog food and aren't flying F/J to eat more dog food in-flight.

On a more serious note, "premier access" can be beneficial at airports that serve vacation fliers. The check-in line can be drastically shorter. YMMV, and I still think the credit card is terrible. If you only fly a couple times a year, you probably don't need a couple club passes either.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Well, that was odd.

Last night sitting in the UC at EWR waiting out a delay I dashed out an email to 1K Voice just expressing my disappointment with the change and highlighting a couple situations where I *tried* to fly UA but wound up on OALs (specifically long maintenance delays un UA with a rebook to OALs and a trip to Bermuda where UA/*A would have required an overnight on Toronto and AC metal at a $4k premium vs. same day service on AA... ) but still got value from my UC membership and felt it helped to reinforce my UA relationship. Didn't expect anything besides a "thanks for your feedback" form letter, if that.

Got a call this morning with a wonderful lady from UA who acknowledged specific points from the email, and was just very nice and personable to cat with. Noted that it was unlikely to change but feedback would be passed up the ladder and hinted that there may be tweaks to the parameters (e.g. exceptions for IROPS/certain status levels, etc.)
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Noted that it was unlikely to change but feedback would be passed up the ladder and hinted that there may be tweaks to the parameters (e.g. exceptions for IROPS/certain status levels, etc.)
How did she indicate that it is unlikely to change? Curious about got it was represented.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by lecorbeau
I was *this* close to signing up for United Club Card. Relieved I didn't.
Speculating the timing will hit Chase renewals in a few weeks.

Hopefully hard.

Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by soartoday
How did she indicate that it is unlikely to change? Curious about got it was represented.
Always happy to hear from members about policy changes good or bad, will pool the feedback, etc., etc. may be exceptions.

But I also don't expect with a company the size of United the person picking up the phone to call me in response to an email necessarily has any power or even direct communication with those actually making the decision.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc

But I also don't expect with a company the size of United the person picking up the phone to call me in response to an email necessarily has any power or even direct communication with those actually making the decision.
Been discussed 1KVoice calling more fliers....

1kvoice now getting call backs?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:37 am

I was wrong. Chase renewal fee auto-posted the exact day UA announced the card devaluation.

No warning. No waivers.

Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LegalTender
I was wrong. Chase renewal fee auto-posted the exact day UA announced the card devaluation.

No warning. No waivers.
30 days to cancel for a full refund

For most Chase Club cardholders this is likely a don't care.
For active flyers making use of the OA access, they will likely to learn about it and make the decision that makes sense for them.
drewguy likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LegalTender

No warning. No waivers.
The change kicks in a year from now, so only a few days access w/ OAL BP is at risk. What are chances of you flying OAL in those few days? You still can cancel the card w/ no loss.
drewguy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.