Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Effective November 1, 2019, United Club customers, including members and their guests, and one-time pass holders will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club locations. Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx

"Contracted partner" appears to refer to non *A partners and those flights will need to be on a UA ticket to qualify.
*A partner flights also qualify even if not on a UA ticket.

"Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights" appears to mean that passengers are only permitted to access the United Club at the airport(s) at which their same-day flight either arrives or departs.

This requirement also applies to guest(s).

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has had two parallel discussions, which will become even more confusing as the new UC access policy is implemented, so the original thread has been split into two separate threads.

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) will be for the discussion of if UA should offer an exception to the new UC access policy (only with same day BP with UA or partners) for Lifetime United Club members.

This thread will continue as the discussion thread for the base policy and issues in its implementation. But please discuss the lifetime membership concerns in the other thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Related thread Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP
Print Wikipost

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
The club passes are not the primary benefit of the Explorer Card. It gives a free bag, priority boarding, CPU on award tix, and excellent travel coverage.
Exactly. That was the point I didn't do a good job of making. Most of these card holders have it because they fly enough UA to justify it and take advantage of the primary benefits. The 2 club passes are a nice extra, for which most card holders will be able to use while regularly flying UA.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I actually think this will hurt a lot of one-time pass holders who get their access twice a year from the United Explorer Card.
you mean pay to get 2 passes that have been really hard to use? Connect mostly through EWR, which has had the “no pass” rule at clubs for the past few years. With 2 cards, I have 8 expired paper passes on my nightstand.

when I asked for some kind of renewal to make up for them, chase and United pointed at each other as the person responsible. So cancelled one of the cards already.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:05 am

I was *this* close to signing up for United Club Card. Relieved I didn't.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Yet another reduction in benefits.
Was CO Plat and UA 1K since the merger.
Will post 4200 UA PQMs in 2018

Do your part.....guest in strangers whenever possible.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Eh...this doesn’t move the needle for me one way or the other. In fact, if it results in marginally less crowded UCs, I will come to view it as a positive change.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1

From a business perspective, the UC is part of a package to keep passengers loyal, not a stand-alone service such as any airport restaurant.
But it was a standalone service. You bought a club membership you could use without restrictions: at first without a same say BP until a few years ago, and agnostic of the carrier- until now. They changed the rules because they can't cope with the growth in use from them hawking credit cards that either grant passes or memberships.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Eh...this doesn’t move the needle for me one way or the other. In fact, if it results in marginally less crowded UCs, I will come to view it as a positive change.
Maybe, just maybe, with the reduced crowds, they can roll out that moderately better F&B offering that was being offered in a few locations. Would love to get something besides salad and cheese cubes in more places.

(no I am not holding my breath, blame the "glass half full" on the extra hour of sleep last night from the time change)
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gmt4
They changed the rules because they can't cope with the growth in use from them hawking credit cards that either grant passes or memberships.
People love to blame the credit cards for overcrowding, I suppose because they're a convenient target. You'd do better to blame the strong economy and the number of people/businesses willing to pony up for paid membership (which is essentially what the Club Card offers, at a very slight discount).

Originally Posted by Lynnie_Bee
Maybe, just maybe, with the reduced crowds, they can roll out that moderately better F&B offering that was being offered in a few locations. Would love to get something besides salad and cheese cubes in more places.
lol this is not going to move the needle on crowding and IMO we will see UA continue to cut costs everywhere it can get away with it.
drewguy likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Not much of an impact for me, although I don't like the decision, seems UA follows DL on the downside but not on any upside.My QF status gets me AA clubs which in the places I go to are not very good and you are best placed in a food court
Most times if I am on another carrier it is off UA going to a odd destination where UA has nothing anyway
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:57 am

This won’t encourage me to ever fly UA again, but instead just to cancel their card and call it quits for good.

I used them less than a dozen times a year. Seems a little ridiculous on their part to turn away that member money all because I’m on AA DL or WN.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by gmt4
But it was a standalone service. You bought a club membership you could use without restrictions: at first without a same say BP until a few years ago, and agnostic of the carrier- until now. They changed the rules because they can't cope with the growth in use from them hawking credit cards that either grant passes or memberships.
Makes no sense for UA (or the other carriers) to offer their clubs as standalone. Probably did not matter back in the day. But, apparently there is sufficient use by those flying other carriers that it is now a factor. So, it's going away because it makes no sense.

Originally Posted by Billiken
Yet another reduction in benefits.
Was CO Plat and UA 1K since the merger.
Will post 4200 UA PQMs in 2018

Do your part.....guest in strangers whenever possible.
That's a useful solution. I am certain that if people start guesting in strangers, UA will eliminate the OA restriction.

Better away to address that is to simply limit people to some number of guests per year. When you're taking your family on vacation, they can enjoy the UC. If you're guesting in strangers or colleagues who could purchase their own memberships, you'll run out of passes quickly. Be careful what you wish for.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 4, 2018 at 12:02 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Well this pretty much does not affect me but I'm sure over the last couple of years, United has been collecting and analyising all the boarding pass scans they've been doing and figured there were way too many non United or *Alliance flyers using the club. I'm guessing Delta and AA did the same thing and the cascade changes happened when Delta pulled the trigger first.

The only situation that I can see that might affect me is if for example, United rebooks me on AA like they did couple of years ago. I hope United makes an exception for things like this or even fall under the "contract" carrier clause.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Two things...
UA just announced that effective Nov 1, 2019 you must have same day boarding pass on UA or partner airline to enter the UC.

Paying for use of the club is not worth it in my opinion. So unless those card benefits make up for the annual fee I wouldn’t do it.
Well, that's really disappointing and I had not heard that until your post. Living in Portland, OR, UA wants me to transit through SFO to pretty much anywhere. I go to LA at least 2x per month. The choice is at least 5 hours transit time on UA through SFO with a 50% misconnect rate or 2:30 on AA direct. Guess which one I take? I still use the UA club. Reminder - UA used to have a direct PDX to LAX until a few years ago. A sore point with me. Now those 20+ LA trips will not have lounge access as of Nov 2019? Yep, thanks UA you just made my decision to cancel the card and take the $40K+ spend elsewhere. Shame. And with the Alaska club now turning away PP members pretty much all the time, there isn't a club in the home base that I will be able to use.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I don't know - if I take step back and read all the posts with "I use the lounge but I fly <AA, DL, AS, etc>" this is obviously the behavior they are trying to stop. I don't troll the Delta forum, but I quick flyover just now, I didn't see the same outrage, but my search ability might not be all that good.

Personally, and perhaps unpopular in this thread - I'm not entirely thrilled all these people on other airlines are taking up space in the club - my opinion, I doubt clubs provide much income to airlines - I know in my case, as a lifetime UA member, they lose a lot of money on me, and even if paid the $450/yearly, within about 2 months, they'd start losing money on me the rest of the year just on drinks alone....
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
...I'm not entirely thrilled all these people on other airlines are taking up space in the club...
I agree to some extent. I wish UA would allow UA FFers, say, 1 entry w/OAL BP to 10 entries on UA to allow for some necessary infidelity. That would be far too much to ask of UA's IT, though...

UA is in a tough position - expand Club footprint at a lot of airports to accommodate increasing traffic or limit access to avoid adding space (at considerable cost) as long as possible. UA's efforts in the last couple of years (w/ possible exception of new UC at LAX and maybe SFO w/ mezzanine Club remaining open) is targeted towards the latter.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 5, 2018 at 2:16 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.