Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Effective November 1, 2019, United Club customers, including members and their guests, and one-time pass holders will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club locations. Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx

"Contracted partner" appears to refer to non *A partners and those flights will need to be on a UA ticket to qualify.
*A partner flights also qualify even if not on a UA ticket.

"Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights" appears to mean that passengers are only permitted to access the United Club at the airport(s) at which their same-day flight either arrives or departs.

This requirement also applies to guest(s).

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has had two parallel discussions, which will become even more confusing as the new UC access policy is implemented, so the original thread has been split into two separate threads.

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) will be for the discussion of if UA should offer an exception to the new UC access policy (only with same day BP with UA or partners) for Lifetime United Club members.

This thread will continue as the discussion thread for the base policy and issues in its implementation. But please discuss the lifetime membership concerns in the other thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Related thread Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP
Print Wikipost

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
This isn't new. Thing went into effect over a year ago, no?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
No.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
two years, UA started requiring a same day BP but from any airlines (including non-partners)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...me-day-bp.html

This latest announcement as changed it to a UA or partner same day BP.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I actually think this will hurt a lot of one-time pass holders who get their access twice a year from the United Explorer Card.
I would have thought that most United Explorer cardholders (such as myself) fly enough on UA for this change to have minimal affect. Or do you think a large percentage of people obtained a $95 AF credit card to get 2 passes (worth $100)?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Here's the rule it's replacing: "All United Club customers, including members, are eligible to access United Club locations only when they have a flight arriving or departing on any airline the same day, and must show a boarding pass for entry."

Maybe this was aimed at non-flying Members that wanted Club access by purchasing, then refunding, a non-UA flight (to avoid UA excessive cancellation tracking).
If UA lounges are anything like AA or DL, I wouldn't think anyone is trying to get through security to use them (maybe for a Polaris or Centurion). This is just cost savings by the clubs, rather than raise the membership prices. Or maybe Chase is tired of reimbursing UA. But most likely, it's because United has no reason to be better than their competitors.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Gig103
...Or maybe Chase is tired of reimbursing UA...
I don’t think it works that way. Chase doesn’t pay per use. This is United, not Chase, restricting access.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
This is just cost savings by the clubs
They could also be trying to address overcrowding issues.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Yes, I agree, so I don't think this change, which takes effect in one year, is that unreasonable .
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
I just signed up for Chase United Club card 2 days ago and now this! There's really no good reason to keep the card anymore as flying out of Dulles (IAD), I can access Turkish and Lufthansa when flying United. I got the United Club card to precisely use it when NOT flying United or on Arrivals. This policy leaves me with little incentive to pay $450 on Credit Card - it will be downgraded or cancelled!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:59 pm

It seems most likely that they're trying to nudge people who are club members to buy more tickets on United, more than anything else about overcrowding or Chase card issues or whatever. They want you to fly United.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Disappointing. I use my passes just as often, if not more, when flying outside of *A. Particularly useful somewhere like HKG where you can get into a nice lounge with a pass.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Wow, I *just* got the UA Club Card for this exact reason, grrrrr. I live in small airport with limited routing options, so based on frequency and timing I wind up flying UA only about 50% of the time, and frequently do MSO-SEA on AS because it's a convenient non-stop. I just cancelled my Amex Plat because the Centurion Lounge in SEA is a zoo anymore, and while the UA Club is not anything to write home about amenity wise it is extremely quiet and my wife is nursing our son so it is very handy to have that option. Glad they at least gave us a year notice but this one really bums me out
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
I would have thought that most United Explorer cardholders (such as myself) fly enough on UA for this change to have minimal affect. Or do you think a large percentage of people obtained a $95 AF credit card to get 2 passes (worth $100)?
I think a lot of people get stuck with the credit card who only fly 1-2 times per year. Since they don't have elite status they do not really care who they fly but they want to use their lounge privilege.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I think a lot of people get stuck with the credit card who only fly 1-2 times per year. Since they don't have elite status they do not really care who they fly but they want to use their lounge privilege.
Not sure why I'd keep the card if that were me. I'd pay cash entry once or twice instead.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
IOr do you think a large percentage of people obtained a $95 AF credit card to get 2 passes (worth $100)?
The club passes are not the primary benefit of the Explorer Card. It gives a free bag, priority boarding, CPU on award tix, and excellent travel coverage.

If UA lounges are anything like AA or DL, I wouldn't think anyone is trying to get through security to use them (maybe for a Polaris or Centurion).
No, but many of us use the UCs when we are flying other airlines. There are some airports, e.g., SAN, where this is very easy to do. I even use the UC when flying AS ex-SFO, since AS has no lounge.

This is likely the primary driver, though we should never underestimate cost savings as motivation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.