Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 10, 19, 1:07 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lateacher
Wiki Link

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 20, 18, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
UA can also decide that members can only visit once per year.
The question is, will the courts allow them to do so.
Old Nov 20, 18, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
In this case, yes, IMHO the courts will allow them to do so if it comes to that. Your example is pretty absurd, but an airline limiting access to an airline lounge to those flying on it's planes (and variety of partners) is hardly absurd, nor unreasonable.
Old Nov 20, 18, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer ; Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott fake Gold via UA 1K
Email from UA exec CS, "I am still working with our Director of Premium Services to determine if there is an exception that can be made. I am sorry for the delay. Would you happen to have a copy of the original terms and conditions of the Presidents Club pass you purchased?"

Did anyone receive any terms and conditions with their lifetime membership purchase?
Absent any official T&C's, it seems to be good business sense that any changes in access rules would not apply to Lifetime members. It doesn't mean that UA will apply good business sense in this regard -- or maybe my idea of good business sense doesn't jibe with UA's. But I'm sure they have the means to collect the data on how many of us use the UA Club when flying on other airlines. I would think that these entries represent a tiny percentage of overall entries.

I've only used the UC for three entries when not on a UA flight in the 10 years which I've been a member. The new rule probably won't apply to me more than a handful of times per decade -- but it does irk me that they could sell me something, and then change the rules on me.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Nov 20, 18, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
While I am not thrilled at this change, as I use the UC a couple times a year when flying OALs, I will say I've been very pleasantly surprised that what sounded like a really silly restriction on Amex Centurion lounge access (must have BP for flight departing w/in three hours) has resulted in a truly drastic reduction in lounge crowding at SFO.

The lesson would seem to be there are more people taking advantage of generous lounge access rules than we might think.
Old Nov 20, 18, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
While I am not thrilled at this change, as I use the UC a couple times a year when flying OALs, I will say I've been very pleasantly surprised that what sounded like a really silly restriction on Amex Centurion lounge access (must have BP for flight departing w/in three hours) has resulted in a truly drastic reduction in lounge crowding at SFO.
I'll have to check that out - I stopped going quite awhile ago, partly overcrowding - partly the location is not optimal at SFO (at least for me). I'm surprised that many fliers with access hang out at the airport for greater than 3 hours......
Old Nov 20, 18, 10:33 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
IANAL, but there's a doctrine of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconscionability in contract law which would likely apply to this and other strawman examples presented. I think it would be a challenge to show the current proposed changes as being "unconscionable".
Old Nov 21, 18, 5:55 am

Programs: UA:1K Marriott:Platinum Hilton:Silver
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I'll have to check that out - I stopped going quite awhile ago, partly overcrowding - partly the location is not optimal at SFO (at least for me). I'm surprised that many fliers with access hang out at the airport for greater than 3 hours......
Besides a place to camp out during weather delays and other IRROPS, that's kinda the main reason I got PC/UC membership. Either connect tight DOM-INTL, or have a place to work for an afternoon.

It's only been a handful of times, but I have used the UA club when flying other airlines and once used the DL sky club when flying UA when I had both memberships.

Last edited by 50Kthehardway; Nov 21, 18 at 11:09 am
Old Nov 21, 18, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by SS255 View Post
I've only used the UC for three entries when not on a UA flight in the 10 years which I've been a member. The new rule probably won't apply to me more than a handful of times per decade -- but it does irk me that they could sell me something, and then change the rules on me.
This is pretty much my situation als.
SS255 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 18, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by SS255 View Post
Absent any official T&C's, it seems to be good business sense that any changes in access rules would not apply to Lifetime members. It doesn't mean that UA will apply good business sense in this regard -- or maybe my idea of good business sense doesn't jibe with UA's. But I'm sure they have the means to collect the data on how many of us use the UA Club when flying on other airlines. I would think that these entries represent a tiny percentage of overall entries.
The business model is to charge an annual membership fee that covers your costs and count on most of the members to show up relatively infrequently. International carriers tend to grant access to lounges according to frequent flyer status or class of fare paid.

The second is more aboveboard and less impelled to depreciate value.
Old Nov 21, 18, 10:52 am

in the 10 years or i have had my LT membership i have also used the UA lounges under 20 times when flying other airlines. I bet we are in the 0.0001% of all of their guests.
It would seem silly to impose that restriction on us.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Nov 22, 18, 4:39 am

The Wiki states:

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program ...........

When did United give lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program ???
Old Nov 22, 18, 6:11 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by libuser View Post
in the 10 years or i have had my LT membership i have also used the UA lounges under 20 times when flying other airlines. I bet we are in the 0.0001% of all of their guests.
It would seem silly to impose that restriction on us.
You are discounting the time and expense to document and train agents about an exception for a very small number of members which is likely the bigger concern for UA. Further, it sets a precedent of potentially having to make carve-out/exception's whenever there is a change in lounge policy. I wouldn't be surprised if you were to push this legally that they might end up offering some sort of pro-rated refund rather than making policy exceptions.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Nov 22, 18, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BF263533 View Post
The Wiki states:

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program ...........

When did United give lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program ???
LT Red Carpet Club membership was for years a benefit of making 2 million miles with the old pre-merger program.
Old Nov 22, 18, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
...if you were to push this legally that they might end up offering some sort of pro-rated refund rather than making policy exceptions.
And the mathematician in me asks exactly what numbers could you possibly use to calculate a “pro-rated refund”?
Old Nov 22, 18, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post

And the mathematician in me asks exactly what numbers could you possibly use to calculate a “pro-rated refund”?
Exactly $20 for every year since effective date, up to $160. A gesture, not a settlement.

Intended to avoid unwanted media exposure.

Search this Thread