Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Half full to full flight within 24hours?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Half full to full flight within 24hours?

I am due to fly UA927 (FRA-SFO) tomorrow 11/2. Leading up to the flight, and even earlier today Y was wide open, maybe around 60% full. But as the flight got within 24 hours of departure, most seats became suddenly occupied, especially in the regular Y-section. Did the flight suddenly become that busy, or is UA just blocking off seats?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Probably neither, lots of people never had assigned seats and are now checking in and being assigned seats, which is what you're seeing.

With FRA being a major *A hub, lots of people could have booked with other carriers. Most people aren't like us.
drewguy likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B747forever
I am due to fly UA927 (FRA-SFO) tomorrow 11/2. Leading up to the flight, and even earlier today Y was wide open, maybe around 60% full. But as the flight got within 24 hours of departure, most seats became suddenly occupied, especially in the regular Y-section. Did the flight suddenly become that busy, or is UA just blocking off seats?
It’s extremely common for passengers not to select seats prior to check-in. It’s unlikely that they’d have any kind of weight restriction that would require seat blocking on FRA-SFO; it’s just not that long of a flight.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Tour / sports / cruise / school groups can have this kind of impact -- they generally don't do seat assignments in advance.

This is just one of those case that highlight relying on seatmaps can be problematic.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I was looking forward to that empty middle seat to make the trip more bearable.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
Or maybe another flight canceled and people were moved onto this one
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that seat maps only show seats selected and say nothing about whether a seat has been sold. Don't rely on them for any purpose other than their intended use, e.g. seat selection.

Trying to game out an empty seat is close to impossible.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:55 pm

i am guessing all economy seats shown now are probably empty.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Pretty good for Economy +, plenty of aisle seats still available.

Pretty good for Business, plenty of aisle seats still available.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: Milage Plus 1K 1.3MM, Marriot LT Platinum
Moin!

Wow PZ9 and 9 on pretty much all fare buckets. This flight clearly is not full. If you have instruments or miles then just upgrade, but I guess in economy plus a free middle seat should be achievable (easier when seated to the back of the section).

So long
-Ralf
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by BThumme
Most people aren't like us.
I experience the same phenomenon with the upgrade list. I check in at ~T-24 and I land in spot #2 . And I stay there and start getting excited about my upgrade chances. Then the upgrade list inflates remarkably at T-2, and I drop way beyond hope. That meant some Premier Golds and higher checked in at the counter. What kind of Premier Member isn't checking in at T-24 to optimize his/her upgrade chances? And if they aren't obsessing over their upgrade chances, they don't deserve status!
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by YadiMolina
What kind of Premier Member isn't checking in at T-24 to optimize his/her upgrade chances? And if they aren't obsessing over their upgrade chances, they don't deserve status!
Checking in at T-24 doesn't impact your upgrade chances. You're also going to inevitably get people changing flights, whether irrops or SDC or flat out changing. I agree with your second sentence
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by YadiMolina
I experience the same phenomenon with the upgrade list. I check in at ~T-24 and I land in spot #2 . And I stay there and start getting excited about my upgrade chances. Then the upgrade list inflates remarkably at T-2, and I drop way beyond hope. That meant some Premier Golds and higher checked in at the counter. What kind of Premier Member isn't checking in at T-24 to optimize his/her upgrade chances? And if they aren't obsessing over their upgrade chances, they don't deserve status!
It can be people taking them up on a buy-up at checkin offer.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BThumme
Checking in at T-24 doesn't impact your upgrade chances.
I thought time of check-in impacted upgrade chances. It's status, fare, then time of check-in. Especially, on international long hauls where there may be many 1Ks with W fare with waitlisted GPUs.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I thought time of check-in impacted upgrade chances. It's status, fare, then time of check-in. Especially, on international long hauls where there may be many 1Ks with W fare with waitlisted GPUs.
I always interpreted it as the fare you paid, not fare class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.