Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Segment Qualifiers - Fewest PQM to make 1K?

Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum

From the milestone threads, we know that the vast majority of FT 1Ks make it on PQM rather than PQS. In theory, one could make 1K with as few as 60,000 PQM, if all one ever flew were <500 mile flights, and one racked up enough PQDs in the process.

In practice, based on flights flown and booked, I'm on a path to get to 120 PQS by December with only 84,248 PQM (and with >$17K PQD). (I fly MSP-ORD a lot.)

I'm curious if there are others out there who've made it to 1K with fewer PQM than that?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:16 pm

Not a 1K, but, for a bit of pedantry:

Since the 500 PQM minimum only applies if you already have status, someone starting as a kettle could in theory book very short segments until they crossed both 30 segments and $3000pqd.

SFO-STS, which I think is UA's shortest flight, would give 66 PQM per segment and I see V fares that give $114 PQD. That'd give you silver after 30 segments or 2010 PQM. From there, you'd start earning 500 per segment for a minimum of 45000. So the minimum PQM for 1K, by my calculation, is 47510 (if anyone can find a very short trip with fares <$100 so you have to take more than 30 segments to get to Silver, it might be even lower)

Ironically, the fare is cheaper than a RT Uber between the same two airports. Maybe some commuter who hates driving really does qualify for 1K this way.
rowenb, Xyzzy, MTan and 1 others like this.

Last edited by prometa; Oct 31, 2018 at 7:51 am
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If you really want to cheat at this game, it's definitely going to be flying a *A partner for 1 PQS and small PQM on a domestic segment and use the four segment rule (and/or PQD) to prevent status
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
If you really want to cheat at this game, it's definitely going to be flying a *A partner for 1 PQS and small PQM on a domestic segment and use the four segment rule (and/or PQD) to prevent status
Hah, you're right. Fly, say, YOW-YUL 116 times with AC (non-STALK) and then SFO-STS 4 times to net 120 PQS and a whopping 11,168 PQM.

Also note, YOW-YUL is often served by Dash-8.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by fumje
Hah, you're right. Fly, say, YOW-YUL 116 times with AC (non-STALK) and then SFO-STS 4 times to net 120 PQS and a whopping 11,168 PQM.

Doing this route 120 times in one year should yield you lifetime GS in compensation for pain and suffering.
drewguy and Miggles like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC

If you have have the Mileage plus club card to 4 segments on UA metal is waived
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LordHamster
Doing this route 120 times in one year should yield you lifetime GS in compensation for pain and suffering.
Or institutionalisatin.

It occurs to me YVR-SEA in STALK instead of YOW-YUL should yield even less (25% of 127PQM = 32PQM, for a net after 120PQS of 3,976PQM), although UA reports a confusing (wrong?) summary if you look at a booking:

edit add:

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
If you have have the Mileage plus club card to 4 segments on UA metal is waived
Good point, so we can reduce that total even further by a few hundred.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: United
Finished last year with 122 segments, 76k miles and 30k spend. Lots of last minute, short domestic flights with 1flight to Europe. Had lots and lots of connections. Now live in Houston, fly more but with less segments. Fine by me. Getting 1k with segments is not a glamorous lifestyle. That CPU from Denver to Casper is a glorious 37 minutes in F.
sexykitten7 and jasonp622 like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:04 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by bgivens33
Finished last year with 122 segments, 76k miles and 30k spend. Lots of last minute, short domestic flights with 1flight to Europe. Had lots and lots of connections. Now live in Houston, fly more but with less segments. Fine by me. Getting 1k with segments is not a glamorous lifestyle. That CPU from Denver to Casper is a glorious 37 minutes in F.
Excellent first post (assuming I'm not misreading your profile)! Welcome to posting on FT.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: United

Yuck. The only person who has ever enjoyed a Dash-8 was that guy who stole one earlier this year.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirborneCattleCar
Yuck. The only person who has ever enjoyed a Dash-8 was that guy who stole one earlier this year.
Given how it ended, if that's what 'enjoying a Dash-8' looks like—no thanks!
drewguy likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AirborneCattleCar
These were Fokker F-27, but still very similar to Dash-8's

I lived in Hawaii from 94-99 and I went to Maui every weekend I could. Back then you had 3 choices - Hawaiian Air - $52 (Could buy tickets from bank of Hawaii ATM) was mainly MD-80's, Aloha air - $42 flew all 737 and Finally Mahalo Air, - Fokker F-27 they ran special for ROUND TRIP $52 - kind of a play on RT price for what Hawaiian charges for one way.

I would roll up to the terminal and unload bags, slip the porter a $10 - weight never got checked and they went directly on the plane

Dash-8 landing in Kahalui between the mountains kinda went like this
Bumpy on descent
Slowing down
got to above the runway
Captain chops throttle and we come down the last 2-3 feet real fast

The "Overhead bins" were shelves with some minuscule netting and stuff routinely fell out of the overhead. Typically those flights were awesome and wouldn't trade it for anything
joe_miami likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It occurs to me YVR-SEA in STALK instead of YOW-YUL should yield even less (25% of 127PQM = 32PQM, for a net after 120PQS of 3,976PQM)
But 0 PQS on cut-rate PQM fares
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Hipplewm

I lived in Hawaii from 94-99 and I went to Maui every weekend I could.
Those interisland flights are a way to rack up segments without miles (though not United). My three shortest commercial flights are ITO-OGG, OGG-HNL, and HNL-LIH [Hilo, Kahalui/Maui, and Lihue/Kauai]
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K

It occurs to me YVR-SEA in STALK instead of YOW-YUL should yield even less (25% of 127PQM = 32PQM, for a net after 120PQS of 3,976PQM), although UA reports a confusing (wrong?) summary if you look at a booking:
International flights on AC give 100% PQMs even in STALK, which is why you are seeing what you are seeing.

YVR-YYJ is only 39 miles, so I suspect the optimal solution to this problem involves that route in a fare that earns PQS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.