UA Matching PN to ZN

Old Oct 27, 18, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
What is difference in PN and PZ? I am 1K with 12 GPUs that are all showing waitlist no matter which itineraries I try to use them for. I understand that PZ is the new R, but what is PN?
GS upgrades and 1K instant upgrades on Y/B/M fares. ZN=PN is fabulous news for GS.
Old Oct 27, 18, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
D has come down but is still several hundred more than the Z was. So this is effectively a fare increase by way of inventory controls. It's also bad news for advance upgrades and award space, since we are unlikely to see PZ or I on flights that are all Z0 P0.

I really hope UA is still working through the new codes and that this is just transitional. What a mess they have unnecessarily made with these fare class changes.
They're definitely mucking around with it as they realign the domestic fare codes. Hard to say how it will really shake out, but if the economy remains strong I wouldn't really expect cheap fares. SFO/WAS is just one market but I am definitely seeing much higher loads (especially premium) this year compared to 1-2 years past.
Old Oct 27, 18, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by findark View Post
They're definitely mucking around with it as they realign the domestic fare codes. Hard to say how it will really shake out, but if the economy remains strong I wouldn't really expect cheap fares. SFO/WAS is just one market but I am definitely seeing much higher loads (especially premium) this year compared to 1-2 years past.
They may be getting it right in some places but they are definitely miscalculating in others. They're probably obviously not going to sell 24/24 seats on a 753 SFO-HNL at $1087 OW / $1747 RT (or higher) over the next six weeks. Especially not with HA selling lie-flats for $1344 RT.

I reaped the benefits of this twice in the past month on HNL-SFO with literally empty cabins going R9 within a week of departure.
Old Oct 27, 18, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold Elite
DEN-HNL on Nov 21:
J7 JN7 C6 D4 Z3 ZN3 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 N9 XN9 X0

HNL-IAH on Nov 25:
J1 JN1 C0 D0 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN0 Q9 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N9 XN0 X0

UA would let me buy up the first flight for $419 but trying to use a certificate goes to waitlist. Second flight can't be bought up (yet) and certificate would go to waitlist.
Old Oct 27, 18, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe View Post
DEN-HNL on Nov 21:
J7 JN7 C6 D4 Z3 ZN3 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 N9 XN9 X0

HNL-IAH on Nov 25:
J1 JN1 C0 D0 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN0 Q9 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N9 XN0 X0

UA would let me buy up the first flight for $419 but trying to use a certificate goes to waitlist. Second flight can't be bought up (yet) and certificate would go to waitlist.
What a bunch of open econ classes on the DEN-HNL flight. Considering your use of an instrument, i have to believe you are on solid ground.
Old Oct 27, 18, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott G, Hilton G, SPG G
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Exactly. I just bought a D on BOS-SFO for next weekend (no Z or P) on an aircraft where less than half the J seats are sold. Maybe they're really selling everything within seven days of departure but color me skeptical.
Which one? I saw PZ1 on BOS-SFO next Sat and booked it and used my RPU for a mileage run to get me back to plat.
Old Oct 28, 18, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles View Post
Which one? I saw PZ1 on BOS-SFO next Sat and booked it and used my RPU for a mileage run to get me back to plat.
Monday morning, Nov. 5. There was nothing below a D for sale.

In further weirdness, the cheapest nonstop, one-way front cabin fare UA is now selling on BOS-SFO is an $1184 Y-Up that books into D (YAD00UPN). This is the cheapest RT fare, as well, at $2368.

Meanwhile, Mint can be had as low as $554 OW.

ETA: UA is making the same play on EWR-SFO, where the cheapest OW front cabin fare is now a $1294 Y-Up booking into D (YAZ21UPN), with a 21 day AP. The cheapest fare with no AP is $2349.

Last edited by Kacee; Oct 28, 18 at 12:30 am
Old Oct 28, 18, 1:14 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA 1k
I have been seeing this too. It used to be easy to find ewr-sfo on a Sunday afternoon in P if booked far enough ahead but now Iím seeing very little open! Just crazy fares

this does make spending 60k miles on biz look worth it tho from a saving vs cash fare haha but honestly I may just bite the bullet and book away from UA at these prices...
Old Oct 28, 18, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrt88 View Post
this does make spending 60k miles on biz look worth it tho from a saving vs cash fare haha but honestly I may just bite the bullet and book away from UA at these prices...
Agree on both points.

It looks UA is updating fares, and now there's a Z on EWR-SFO at $1094. Still no P fare though.

DL, AA, B6, and AS have not yet followed. They're all still offering sub-$700 OW fares NYC-SFO. I doubt UA will be able to maintain these fares on their own.
Old Oct 28, 18, 11:48 am

Here's another example of Z/ZN matching PN. This IAD-SFO flight is ZN2 P0 PN2 PZ0

Here's the next flight of the day, which is Z/ZN9 P0 PN9

Though I have no data to support it, if PN tracks Z and PZ tracks to P, then I'd imagine GS on any instruments and 1K on instant ups are going to have an easy time clearing, and the rest will have a challenge. It's possible the backend is going P1 PZ1 for a moment and clearing people, but typically P > PZ. Interestingly, IAD--SFO is one of the more elite heavy routes in the system, so maybe PN tracking Z is a bone tossed to GS.

Side note: it peeves me that the letter codes are assigned such that PZ tracks P. It'd be more satisfying if PZ tracked Z and PN tracked P.

Last edited by prometa; Oct 28, 18 at 11:56 am
Old Oct 28, 18, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Weird. It's hard to believe they intend to be this permissive with PN inventory, but it's showing up pretty often. A good week to be GS, I suppose.