FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Protection + out-of-sync = inability to change (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1937460-protection-out-sync-inability-change.html)

Darlox Oct 26, 2018 12:17 am

Protection + out-of-sync = inability to change

So I'm in the middle of a string of bad luck with weather and ATC delays, and my last 3 itineraries have had one or more flights impacted by significant delays. Until very recently, I'd get the usual notification in the app that my flights were affected, and giving me the option to search/select new flights, if relevant.

However, on my last 3 itineraries, it seems like UA has been more proactive in "protecting" me on later flights, in case I misconnect. But unfortunately, this protection comes in the form of adding a new segment to my PNR, and not re-syncing the ticket. The net effect is that the app is completely unable to deal with that reservation, and the website shows the dreaded red "Your reservation has changed... Please contact United" message.

As a result, the only way to ACTUALLY make changes, and select a routing or flight different from what I was protected on, is to call in. If this happened when I'm on the ground, fine. But the last two, including today's, happened while I was already in the air. So there was no way to fix the out-of-sync ticket until I landed. And by the time I did, my preferred alternate flights were no longer available! Had UA not protected me on a later flight (or better yet, protected me but fixed or reissued the ticket) I could have made elective changes to my ticket enroute, and gotten the flights I wanted!! Which, in today's case, would have gotten me to my destination nearly 3 hours sooner!

Is this something new about how they're handling protection? Is there any way to fix an out-of-sync ticket via the website or app, while enroute? Is there any way to flag an account as "do not protect" so that I retain control over choosing alternate/replacement routings?

In some ways I'm glad they're trying to be proactive. But this out-of-sync issue has now occurred 3-of-3 on my most recent itineraries, and that feeling of complete helplessness as I stare at the app, unable to do anything to fix the snafu I find myself in, is incredibly frustrating!

(*Also SFO sucks. I have had more delays and misconnections in SFO over the last year, than literally every other airport, including my home airport, combined!!! Gah!!)

threeoh Oct 26, 2018 9:15 am

Maybe a perfect use of the twitter DM route?

fumje Oct 26, 2018 11:04 am

Originally Posted by threeoh (Post 30358747)
Maybe a perfect use of the twitter DM route?

Assumes working wifi. :eek: (Admittedly, using the app in air assumes the same.)