Wiki Posts
Search

Delta One suites from SYD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Delta One suites from SYD

I see that Delta are upgrading their hard product from Sydney to LAX in April 2019 to their Delta One suites.
Australian Business Traveller - delta-one-business-class-suites-for-sydney-los-angeles-in-april-2019

Any speculation on how UA will respond if at all?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
UA will keep the B789 on the route and you'll get 2-2-2 biz seating. GF is done, UA is not pursuing an intl F product anymore.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Any speculation on how UA will respond if at all?
With a great, big yawn.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
...Any speculation on how UA will respond if at all?
UA will sell seats to people who don’t want to pay for Delta One? Maybe get a better margin w/ higher density?

Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
UA will continue to fly the 789 which between Fall 2019 and end-2020 will get Polaris. Simples.

You could equally turn this around on any route that UA currently flies the 77W with Polaris, and DL flies a non suites plane and ask how Delta will respond.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Itr's a mildly interesting market since it tends toward higher fares and lower loads (which would make it more quality sensitive), but I agree that with the whole fleet going Polaris anyway, UA probably won't react.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Bogus thread topic. UA won't do anything at all. Eventually the UA 789s on Australia routes will have Polaris seats.

Note also that DL's D1 suite rollout is glacially slow compared to UA's Polaris roll out. UA is winning that race by a factor of nearly 3x (37 aircraft to 13).

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
With a great, big yawn.
Yep.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Continue to push a market-trailing product at steep corporate discounts.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
Continue to push a market-trailing product at steep corporate discounts.
Agreed - I managed to fly one of these Delta One suites a couple of months ago, and no better than Polaris - just going to be geared to toward Delta Corporate discounts.....
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:06 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Agreed - I managed to fly one of these Delta One suites a couple of months ago, and no better than Polaris - just going to be geared to toward Delta Corporate discounts.....
I think Polaris is better than the Delta One suite, comfort-wise, and maybe even privacy-wise.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I think Polaris is better than the Delta One suite, comfort-wise, and maybe even privacy-wise.
The whole D1 Suite is just marketing - it's a Thompson Vantage XL with a sliding door. Same seat (without door) is used by SK, LX, and others.
tuolumne, wrp96 and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gmt4
UA will keep the B789 on the route and you'll get 2-2-2 biz seating. GF is done, UA is not pursuing an intl F product anymore.
But, those Delta seats ARE business class. I hadn't focused on them before, but except for the door they look very similar to the ANA business seats. UA has gone in a different direction.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
You could equally turn this around on any route that UA currently flies the 77W with Polaris, and DL flies a non suites plane and ask how Delta will respond.
You could, but nobody would. The unwritten contest to see who can be first to start a "Will UA follow DL?" thread anytime DL makes an announcement seems to go only one way.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
UA will offer the "Mister Pillows" option to interested customers, and enable you to build your own equivalent privacy barrier with your choice of synthetic or down feathered cloth bag.
FlyHighInTheSky, mrt88 and Miggles like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
UA will offer the "Mister Pillows" option to interested customers, and enable you to build your own equivalent privacy barrier with your choice of synthetic or down feathered cloth bag.
Don't forget the milk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.