Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changing (with more miles) economy united award to business class? fees?

Changing (with more miles) economy united award to business class? fees?

Old Oct 24, 18, 7:45 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,607
Changing (with more miles) economy united award to business class? fees?

folks

does united allow an upgrade from coach to business for an award ticket without fees as long as source and destination city stay the same. If not what are typical fees for switching from lufthansa coach r/t to swiss business r/t as an example.

thx
sam007 is offline  
Old Oct 24, 18, 7:48 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,807
Originally Posted by sam007 View Post
folks

does united allow an upgrade from coach to business for an award ticket without fees as long as source and destination city stay the same. If not what are typical fees for switching from lufthansa coach r/t to swiss business r/t as an example.

thx
On UA metal they may allow you to 'upgrade' for the redemption difference, subject to availability etc. For LH Y to LX J award, it would be a new ticket, and you'd have to pay cancel/redeposit or change fees (link to United's table). At least, that's as far as I can figure; perhaps someone here has a creative idea to do better.
fumje is offline  
Old Oct 24, 18, 7:54 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,607
Fee for making a change or canceling with redeposit 60 or fewer days before departure is $125 for each ticket so if there are 3 tickets on a reservation, that's $375?

AA does $150 + $25 each additional ticket on same reservation
sam007 is offline  
Old Oct 24, 18, 8:00 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,807
Originally Posted by sam007 View Post
Fee for making a change or canceling with redeposit 60 or fewer days before departure is $125 for each ticket so if there are 3 tickets on a reservation, that's $375?

AA does $150 + $25 each additional ticket on same reservation
That seems to be correct. Note that there are close-in booking fees as well, if applicable.

edit add: if you're comfortable waiting to the 24h before departure, you may be able to avail yourself of Same-Day Change for a lower fee.
fumje is offline  
Old Oct 24, 18, 10:05 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,064
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
That seems to be correct. Note that there are close-in booking fees as well, if applicable.

edit add: if you're comfortable waiting to the 24h before departure, you may be able to avail yourself of Same-Day Change for a lower fee.
Same-Day Change isnít going to be an option for partner awards. Itís only applicable when flying UA metal.
jsloan is offline  
Old Oct 24, 18, 10:29 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,807
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post

Same-Day Change isnít going to be an option for partner awards. Itís only applicable when flying UA metal.
Yes, thanks; not sure if sam007 is only interested in partner awards, in which case that wouldn't be applicable.
fumje is offline  
Old Oct 24, 18, 1:16 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 11,338
Yes, UA is much more restrictive in this aspect than AA.
findark is offline  
Old Oct 24, 18, 1:40 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Nexus/GE, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, NH Plat*G,DL Silver
Posts: 47
Just recently I was able to move an award on AC metal from economy to business when business availability opened up on the same exact flight without being charged a change fee. Currently I'm non-status with United.
doggz is offline  
Old Oct 24, 18, 2:02 pm
  #9  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 52,026
Originally Posted by sam007 View Post
... does united allow an upgrade from coach to business for an award ticket without fees as long as source and destination city stay the same. ....
If you know this is the desired outcome, one can at original booking ask to be waitlisted for the premium cabin -- you mostly will be required to provide all the needed miles up front. I success there will be no fee, if unsuccessful the "excess" mileage will be refunded. You can only waitlist for UA operated segments.

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jan 15, 20, 4:14 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 588
Any updates on this? Iím currently on an UA award ticket all on LH flights in economy. business class availability seems to open up within 48 hrs usually. Can I simply pay the difference in mileage if Iím keeping the same flights same day just changing from economy to business?
omaralt is offline  
Old Jan 15, 20, 4:21 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,064
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
Any updates on this? Iím currently on an UA award ticket all on LH flights in economy. business class availability seems to open up within 48 hrs usually. Can I simply pay the difference in mileage if Iím keeping the same flights same day just changing from economy to business?
Nothing has changed; the policy would be to charge the mileage difference plus a change fee. While a friendly agent might waive it, that's not something that can really be counted upon.
omaralt likes this.
jsloan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: