FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Scary engine failure LGA-IAH - 23 Oct. 2018. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1936939-scary-engine-failure-lga-iah-23-oct-2018-a.html)

anandrag Oct 23, 2018 5:28 am

Scary engine failure LGA-IAH - 23 Oct. 2018.

Anyone else on that flight? 2 loud BANGS when we took off. Right engine partial failure sounds like. We diverted to EWR. Don’t scare easily but that was scary.

Guess easier than Uber from queens to NJ....

FlyinHawaiian Oct 23, 2018 5:42 am

Just saw the report on WABC Channel 7 news; hopefully it was just a compressor stall. Sounds scary; hope your trip to IAH is uneventful.

anandrag Oct 23, 2018 5:44 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian (Post 30346103)
Just saw the report on WABC Channel 7 news; hopefully it was just a compressor stall. Sounds scary; hope your trip to IAH is uneventful.

Didn’t realize was already on the news.
Hope so too!

n198ua Oct 23, 2018 5:52 am

Here is the playback of the flight and the altitude/speed chart.

As noted upthread hopefully this was just a compressor stall. Glad all is ok!

Kmxu Oct 23, 2018 6:50 am

Hope that you can make the connection at IAH.

764toHI Oct 23, 2018 7:08 am

Glad not only everything is ok but the pilots had the fortune of landing at EWR for easier IRROPS recovery.

anandrag Oct 23, 2018 7:15 am

Originally Posted by 764toHI (Post 30346312)
Glad not only everything is ok but the pilots had the fortune of landing at EWR for easier IRROPS recovery.

yes thanks.
Would love to hear ATC communications to see what they said. Sure pilots must have been little nervous too

Jaimito Cartero Oct 23, 2018 7:16 am

Better than landing on the Hudson!

anandrag Oct 23, 2018 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 30346346)
Better than landing on the Hudson!

Exactly type of stuff going through my mind

clubord Oct 23, 2018 9:02 am

I’ve experienced engine failures both as the pilot and as a passenger and know it’s not exactly a fun experience. Although loud and uncomfortable, a compressor stall or isolated engine failure is an extremely manageable situation. Something we are proficiency tested for thousands of times during our career.

A compressor stall during climb out with a 10,000 foot runway less than 20 miles from the departure airport, which just happens to be a hub, is about as best case scenario as you can get. I wish my annual simulator profiles were as straightforward as this!

Glad you are safe, enjoy the flight to IAH. You’re in good hands here.

anandrag Oct 23, 2018 9:08 am

Originally Posted by clubord (Post 30346687)
i’ve experienced engine failures both as the pilot and as a passenger and know it’s not exactly a fun experience. Although loud and uncomfortable, a compressor stall or isolated engine failure is an extremely manageable situation. Something we are proficiency tested for thousands of times during our career.

A compressor stall during climb out with a 10,000 foot runway less than 20 miles from the departure airport, which just happens to be a hub, is about as best case scenario as you can get. I wish my annual simulator profiles were as straightforward as this!

Glad you are safe, enjoy the flight to iah. You’re in good hands here.

👍🏾👍🏾

fumje Oct 23, 2018 9:09 am

Would a compressor stall arise purely due to atmospheric conditions (for lack of a better term)? Is there ever any advance warning? Just wondering about how they occur. Glad to know dealing with them is a standard part of a pilot's training.

anandrag Oct 23, 2018 9:11 am

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 30346719)
Would a compressor stall arise purely due to atmospheric conditions (for lack of a better term)? Is there ever any advance warning? Just wondering about how they occur. Glad to know dealing with them is a standard part of a pilot's training.

And would the standard checklist that maintenance and pilots go through pre-flight not flag this potential
issue?

enviroian Oct 23, 2018 9:23 am

Isn't a compressor stall what happened to that Thompson 752 taking off from MAN? You hear the bang, bang, bang and see the intermittent flames shooting out the back of the engine.

villox Oct 23, 2018 9:43 am

If anyone's curious, here is the flightradar view of the flight:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f...ua657#1e4fbfd2

Looks like it happened about 4 minutes after takeoff. I tried to pinpoint any tower comms on liveatc but haven't had any luck so far.