Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Scary engine failure LGA-IAH - 23 Oct. 2018.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scary engine failure LGA-IAH - 23 Oct. 2018.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Without getting too overly technical, turbine engines operate by air entering in the front, mixing with fuel in the middle, and being forced out the back creating thrust. Compressor stalls happen when there is a disruption of airflow into a turbine engine which effects the fuel/air mixture causing a small “explosion” within the internal sections of the motor.

If something obstructs the airflow (birds, extreme precipitation, wind flow, etc.) the appropriate balance of fuel to air is changed and the engine reacts with a bang. The pragmatic approach when something like this happens is to immediately reduce power on the affected engine thus reducing the fuel until the proper air/fuel balance is reestablished and evaluate the condition of the engine with the instrumentation.

There are are situations which a compressor stall is more likely to occur (crosswind takeoffs, engine start with a tailwind, heavy precipitation) and techniques are performed to minimize this from occurring but there is no preventative checklists like what we have for other events.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by clubord; Oct 23, 2018 at 10:02 am
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1k, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Isn't a compressor stall what happened to that Thompson 752 taking off from MAN? You hear the bang, bang, bang and see the intermittent flames shooting out the back of the engine.
Yes, it was because of bird strike.

High-power setting compressor surge create loudest bangs and most violent vibrations, since the whole thrust is gone in a second and rotational moment is trying to dissipate through the body of aircraft.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clubord
Without getting too overly technical, turbine engines operate by air entering in the front, mixing with fuel in the middle, and being forced out the back creating thrust. Compressor stalls happen when there is a disruption of airflow into a turbine engine which effects the fuel/air mixture causing a small “explosion” within the internal sections of the motor.

If something obstructs the airflow (birds, extreme precipitation, wind flow, etc.) the appropriate balance of fuel to air is changed and the engine reacts with a bang. The pragmatic approach when something like this happens is to immediately reduce power on the affected engine thus reducing the fuel until the proper air/fuel balance is reestablished and evaluate the condition of the engine with the instrumentation.

There are are situations which a compressor stall is more likely to occur (crosswind takeoffs, engine start with a tailwind, heavy precipitation) and techniques are performed to minimize this from occurring but there is no preventative checklists like what we have for other events.

Hope this helps.
Thanks! ^
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH FT, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PPlus

Hope this helps.
Isn't it about the air pressure ratio (causing the air to flow upstream periodically to re-establish the proper ratio) and the required mass flow (With or without injected fuel) to ensure the right angle of attack rather than fuel/air mixture ratio?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mynolix
Isn't it about the air pressure ratio (causing the air to flow upstream periodically to re-establish the proper ratio) and the required mass flow (With or without injected fuel) to ensure the right angle of attack rather than fuel/air mixture ratio?
I was trying to keep it simple 👍.

Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH FT, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PPlus

I was trying to keep it simple 👍.

Touché
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for chiming in, clubord! ^
(I'm out of "likes")
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by villox
If anyone's curious, here is the flightradar view of the flight:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f...ua657#1e4fbfd2

Looks like it happened about 4 minutes after takeoff. I tried to pinpoint any tower comms on liveatc but haven't had any luck so far.
Can someone explain how that shows up as a 90 degree pivot (instead of a gradual turn) on the map?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
Can someone explain how that shows up as a 90 degree pivot (instead of a gradual turn) on the map?
Also feels like happened much earlier than 4 mins in flight. Was pretty much as soon as we left the ground
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
Just a data sampling issue, here is another view, https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...955Z/KLGA/KEWR, probably more what you expected
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
B738, N33266 #3266 . 2001 delivery.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by anandrag
Anyone else on that flight? 2 loud BANGS when we took off. Right engine partial failure sounds like. We diverted to EWR. Don’t scare easily but that was scary.

Guess easier than Uber from queens to NJ....
-------
deleted......someone beat me to it (versus Hudson River).
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: AA EXP.
this happened to me on Iran Air out from a boeing plane made in the 70's now that scared the .... out of me lol
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Coming into EWR yesterday on a 752, it was a crystal clear day. On final, I was amazed by just how many birds I saw near us on approach. Many more than usual.

Obviously that’s always a concern, but given the season, and their migratory nature, I’d think the risk is greatly increased.

Could they have ingested a bird yesterday?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:32 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Anyone else on that flight? 2 loud BANGS when we took off. Right engine partial failure sounds like. We diverted to EWR. Don’t scare easily but that was scary.
​​​​​​glad you're ok!

Guess easier than Uber from queens to NJ....
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Better than landing on the Hudson!
Once saw a Facebook conversation along the lines of:

Friend A: what's the fastest way from (airport) to (some part of NYC, I forget)

Friend B: at that hour? Miracle on the Hudson followed by ferry rescue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.