Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:16 pm

Sorry, just made the update with more context.

Flying on UA 952 and it's the old 3-class cabin. I initially had 2A, plane changed 3 days ago, got row 3 in new Polaris, and now last night back to 3-class cabin and no 1-2 row available anymore. Hard to believe that the flight has 8 GS (it's possible), but would they move a 1K out of the seat and make room in case the computer assigned it to 1K members?

Originally Posted by narvik
All booked already?
What does flight status say regarding "United PolarisSM business: 48 Booked: ??"
GS desk just told me that the computer assigned the seats so yes, not all of them went to GS, but they don't know who can swap them out. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 22, 2019 at 9:07 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by blue2007
GS desk just told me that the computer assigned the seats so yes, not all of them went to GS, but they don't know who can swap them out. Any ideas on how to proceed?
Ah, yes, the big switcheroo!
I found myself in 2A (3-class) after several switches. I suspected then that the system just assigned 1K and GS randomly to old F seats, but had no proof.

Not sure if they will displace a 1K now to a GS though. That might be pushing it: their policy is that only GS can select them, but it may be that the auto-assign algorithm that kicks in when it reverts back to a 3-class is more "sympathetic" to us lowly 1Ks!
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
Ah, yes, the big switcheroo!
I found myself in 2A (3-class) after several switches. I suspected then that the system just assigned 1K and GS randomly to old F seats, but had no proof.

Not sure if they will displace a 1K now to a GS though. That might be pushing it: their policy is that only GS can select them, but it may be that the auto-assign algorithm that kicks in when it reverts back to a 3-class is more "sympathetic" to us lowly 1Ks!
I guess it is what it is. My mistake was probably changing my seat for the third row in the new Polaris. If I would have kept row 2 on the new Polaris, maybe reverting back would have kept me in row 2 again. Kinda annoying with all these equipment changes back and forth.
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I guess it is what it is. My mistake was probably changing my seat for the third row in the new Polaris. If I would have kept row 2 on the new Polaris, maybe reverting back would have kept me in row 2 again. Kinda annoying with all these equipment changes back and forth.
Message to myself: stay strong and don't switch from 2L to 3L if my plane becomes Polarized and my original 2K seat becomes 2L. Only 4 more days to know what the outcome will be for the outbound flight. For the inbound a week later, I don't know what will happen as I have to check-in with LH for the first segment before my FRA-ORD United flight and have read that some passengers get assigned a different seat on the United flight.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Message to myself: stay strong and don't switch from 2L to 3L if my plane becomes Polarized and my original 2K seat becomes 2L. Only 4 more days to know what the outcome will be for the outbound flight. For the inbound a week later, I don't know what will happen as I have to check-in with LH for the first segment before my FRA-ORD United flight and have read that some passengers get assigned a different seat on the United flight.
Exactly. Don't do it, I fell for it and was all excited about the new Polaris cabin. Only to give up that great F seat. Now stuck in 7A.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I was 1H, switched myself to 3A when polarisized, and then was put in 2K on a swap back. The swaps seem to be random enough that I wouldn’t bank on getting a former first seat on a swap back and wouldn’t hesitate to move to a better Polaris seat if a Polaris plane is swapped in.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Exactly. Don't do it, I fell for it and was all excited about the new Polaris cabin. Only to give up that great F seat. Now stuck in 7A.

i asked the GA who is always there for 835 ORD to PVG. She said they always take care of GS first.

Last edited by roxie; Mar 23, 2019 at 7:58 pm
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roxie

i asked the GA who is always there for 835 ORD to PVG. She said they always take care of GA first.
Freudian slip?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA GS
As a GS selected seat 1k on a 3 class 777-200 LHR /SFO flight. This morning saw the flight was poloraized and was assigned a seat in the middle, 4G IIRC. Went ahead and switched to 9L.

Tonight the flight reverted back to a 3 class 777-200 and was assigned 7H. The"first class" section was pretty much empty while the "business class" section was almost full. I was able to get back my original seat, 1k.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:46 pm

Just found out that a Gold and 2 1K members were in the front cabin. Only 3 GS there. The airport said they can't give me the seat back.

Kinda sucks, no idea how they messed up all of that.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fumje
Freudian slip?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
Was in 1K yesterday from MUC to ORD and in standard domestic first from ORD to SFO (757). MUC to ORD was polarized and I was assigned 1L, which was fine (although not quite as nice). When I got to ORD was handed BP for 1K ... the 757 had become a legacy 777-200! Pretty bizarre turn of events. Given the delays to SFO, was glad to be in a nice seat. Also bizarre - there were 40+ cleared upgrades ORD - SFO due to the equipment change.
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I'm presently scheduled for a SFO-LHR flight in May on a pmUA 777-200, however the seat layout in Y has the first three rows at 7 seats across (PY?) and 9 across in the rest of the Y cabin. Is this indicative of a likely switch or just UA hedging their seating bets to allow flexibility whether the aircraft is swapped or not?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by 1kBill
I'm presently scheduled for a SFO-LHR flight in May on a pmUA 777-200, however the seat layout in Y has the first three rows at 7 seats across (PY?) and 9 across in the rest of the Y cabin. Is this indicative of a likely switch or just UA hedging their seating bets to allow flexibility whether the aircraft is swapped or not?
For a May flight, they are just hedging their bets...using a layout that most easily switches if needed.

My flight for Wednesday just got updated to show a remodeled 777-200, so I am now kicked out of my GF seat 2K. I am just going to leave it alone and hope it switches back, even though I was moved to 2L, which is the less private Window seat....
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by roxie
i asked the GA who is always there for 835 ORD to PVG. She said they always take care of GS first.
Speaking as someone who will almost certainly never be GS, that's the way it should be.
iluv2fly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.