Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
well my seat assignment is still sticking since the announcement, here's to hoping us 1K's can hold onto our previously picked GF seats !!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itsMoe
The first time this happened was last November. The second time was about a week ago.
Looks like you just got in under the wire. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by whitethunder
well my seat assignment is still sticking since the announcement, here's to hoping us 1K's can hold onto our previously picked GF seats !!
I think UA should and (hopefully) will honor your previously assigned seat.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by onthesam
The only 'announcement' has been that the seats are no longer selectable by 1Ks. Where are you getting this info that 1Ks can 'swap' to them when the seats release at the gate?

Even if that was correct, hypothetically you have 6 GS and 10 1Ks ORD-FRA. Who gets the seats? The 2 1Ks who are standing at the gate agent desk in lieu of waiting at the Polaris lounge or being on their way to the airport? Hogwash.
The fact is United said the cabin is J. It's being sold as J. They first said only GS and 1K could pre-select the former GF seats then they pushed a policy change that only GS could PRE-SELECT the seats. Period, end of story.
As far as seats left after GS have been gone through, I would imagine the first ones to talk to a gate agent would be the lucky ones. The other 8 are out nothing because they are still getting the J seats they paid for.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by whitethunder
Mine is as well. Hoping no equipment swap on my March flight HKG->ORD. I really want to sit in the Global First seat one more time...
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
The fact is United said the cabin is J. It's being sold as J. They first said only GS and 1K could pre-select the former GF seats then they pushed a policy change that only GS could PRE-SELECT the seats. Period, end of story.
As far as seats left after GS have been gone through, I would imagine the first ones to talk to a gate agent would be the lucky ones. The other 8 are out nothing because they are still getting the J seats they paid for.

​​​Thanks. Sounds like the notion that 1K pax can 'swap' to them is mere speculation.

And yes, it's the policy change you outline that rubs some of us the wrong way.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
​​​Thanks. Sounds like the notion that 1K pax can 'swap' to them is mere speculation.

And yes, it's the policy change you outline that rubs some of us the wrong way.
No, the idea that they can't change from one J seat to another open J seat at the gate is the speculation. All the information posted has concerned ADVANCE selection of the former GS seats. I have seen no reports of GAs letting those seats go empty rather than change 1Ks (or other J passengers) into them when the flight passed into gate control.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
No, the idea that they can't change from one J seat to another open J seat at the gate is the speculation. All the information posted has concerned ADVANCE selection of the former GS seats. I have seen no reports of GAs letting those seats go empty rather than change 1Ks (or other J passengers) into them when the flight passed into gate control.
The point that playing the gate agent lottery for a battlefield upgrade (or seat change, I guess) seems to be the only way for non-GS pax who have not already selected GF seats to get those seats is correct.

The statement
I would imagine the first ones to talk to a gate agent would be the lucky ones
is speculation in that the operative words I would imagine reveal a speculative nature to the words that follow.

The other 8 are out nothing because they are still getting the J seats they paid for.
Not exactly. A week ago this 1K member could have purchased J or confirmed GPU at time of booking and selected a GF seat for himself and SO. This was of benefit. This week this 1K member's experience is that if he purchases that same tickets, he is unable to select the GF seats and suspects (speculating, but based on a lot of past experience on upgrade waitlists) that more likely then not will end up in 2-4-2 J. That change in privileges indicates a lost benefit. I am now out something that I used to have -- the ability to not sit in those crappy J seats while waiting for retrofits to be completed.

Conversely, some GS members are quite pleased that the seats are now available for their selection when making last minute purchases.
drewguy likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

except
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
I heard that at check-in, the seat map opens to everyone confirmed in business class, regardless of status.
An agent read a memo word for word when I called this week. .
onthesam likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
The problem is that now we are responding to different comments from different people which makes the whole thing a mess. I might have misunderstood jsloan's comment as it was not specified that there should be less than 7 passengers total in Business Class (paid + upgraded) for a non-rev to get a former First Class seat. I tried to specify that fact. (or less than 8 if one is not blocked for the captain).
I have no idea what will happen if a non-rev passenger clears into the J cabin and there is an empty seat in the former F cabin. Is it possible that the seat would go to a non-rev? Absolutely; particularly, if nobody asks to swap. The two choices to fill the seats are to give them to passengers without seat assignments or to go through the cabin, sorted by status, and try to figure out whom to move. (Which 1Ks? Those with the worst seats? Those with the best seats? Who knows?). The path of least resistance is to give the seats to the passengers without seat assignments -- those who just got upgraded.

However, the point of my message was that this is not a return to the older system where they would clear a non-rev passenger into F instead of cleaning a revenue passenger into J and then doing an op-up. Considering the number of complaints about upgrades not clearing, I can't imagine that there are very many flights that are so empty in J that non-revs regularly clear. So I think this part of the conversation is much ado about nothing.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chavala

Well unless you’re a GS you’re in the same boat as the rest of us. Why not look at your reservations to see if the other GF seats ae grayed out.
They were, and they were also greyed out at check-in. Then again, there was only one seat free when I originally selected it, so that unfortunately doesn't tell us much.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:43 pm

Huh. I have an upcoming IAD-FRA leg, and UA is selling upgrades to the old GF cabin for $599 from my existing D class ticket in the phone app. It was showing them as selectable sometimes I checked the seat map and not selectable other times. I went ahead and selected one and tried to purchase to see how the payment screen would look (and how it would be marketed) and it just confirmed the seat with no payment! I am UA Gold so I’m sure not high enough it was supposed to be free...

So I guess we have cash upgrades to old F to look forward to, similar to thrones on LX J.

i wonder what will happen in case of Polaris swap...
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Huh. I kind of doubt they will actually implement that, if only because the seats are going to be gone before they could make it work. That's very odd though.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Huh. I kind of doubt they will actually implement that, if only because the seats are going to be gone before they could make it work. That's very odd though.
I agree that the timing doesn't make sense given all the seats should disappear this year or by early 2020.

A co-worker is on the same flight. His reservation behaved the same way late this morning -- declared it would be $599, then didn't actually ask for payment. That indicates it wasn't just an overnight glitch. I thought this morning the price listed might have inadvertently been UA giving the "TOD" price to go from Y to J, but $599 seems too low given D is the cheapest J-class fare for sale. For what it's worth, my upcoming domestic 3-class 777 flight doesn't let me pick old GF seats, but I think that is because those seats are fully occupied.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I suppose it's possible.. they are managing to do this with the "preferred seats" in Y.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:11 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
So...I booked a paid business ticket specifically on the pretext that I’d either get a former GF seat, or a new Polaris seat. If they swap the aircraft out for 10 mins, then back to the 3 class, it sounds like I lose the seat with a slight chance I’d get it back, even if it’s open?

Are there any recent real-world experiences how they are filling the front cabin? Any 1Ks have success moving up at check in or at the gate or at the UC/Polaris Lounge?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 14, 2019 at 12:41 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.