Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Too bad they took this benefit away from the 1Ks. Can understand holding it back for GSs but you would think they would open those seats up for 1Ks during check-in or at airport. But as others have said the 777 conversions are going pretty quickly now. Have mostly had mod 777s on last few flights abroad.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Not sure where the myth about nonrevs comes in.. the seats are sold as J inventory and anyone needing a seat assignment will end up in them. Unless you mean in the case where the flight is not fully sold up front?
It was reported that's exactly what they were doing before they started letting GS + 1Ks book them
AceReport likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chavala
It was reported that's exactly what they were doing before they started letting GS + 1Ks book them
That's because the inventory was being treated as F, not J, at that point.
chavala likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Also, does any 1K have a domestic segment on a 3 cabin plane that can check their seat options. Just want to confirm this is all flights, and not just Intl.
I just booked a domestic segment in J and the FC seats are all grayed out.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by findark
Not sure where the myth about nonrevs comes in.. the seats are sold as J inventory and anyone needing a seat assignment will end up in them. Unless you mean in the case where the flight is not fully sold up front?
And the J upgrade waitlist was empty. As a single J cabin, the upgrade list should not be jumped.

Originally Posted by cranky1K
You are not a GS, so don't have access in advance

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 8, 2019 at 8:55 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
I have to chuckle...

Up thread I was basically shouted down after I stated "As a lowly" gold I should be able to pick these as full fare payer (booking class F). Note it was a domestic leg SFO-IAD.

I ended up booking a lie flat on AA. The general consensus was "Good riddance" and my seat would be filled by an uber-loyal high dollar flier anyway.

Am I now to understand that the seat I never purchased might actually end up going to a non-rev? Now that's rich.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by climmy
... Am I now to understand that the seat I never purchased might actually end up going to a non-rev? Now that's rich.
Not to worry, only if the waitlist completely clears, so unlikely
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by cranky1K

Thanks Cranky. Figured as much...

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You are not a GS, so don't have access in advance
I had asked earlier if anyone had data on domestic flight, as we had just been talking about Intl. Looks like confirmed this is both domestic and Intl flights...
cranky1K likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not to worry, only if the waitlist completely clears, so unlikely
Even worse -- the best seats on the plane will go out empty? I'll bet dollars to donuts they put nonrevs in those seats, leaving 1Ks in the back. Hope I'm wrong though.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by mh3265a
Too bad they took this benefit away from the 1Ks. Can understand holding it back for GSs but you would think they would open those seats up for 1Ks during check-in or at airport. But as others have said the 777 conversions are going pretty quickly now. Have mostly had mod 777s on last few flights abroad.
I heard that at check-in, the seat map opens to everyone confirmed in business class, regardless of status.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
I heard that at check-in, the seat map opens to everyone confirmed in business class, regardless of status.
Source? It would be great if this is the case. However my next PMUA 772 flight is in July and the chance of getting a retrofitted bird is pretty good IMO.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Even worse -- the best seats on the plane will go out empty? I'll bet dollars to donuts they put nonrevs in those seats, leaving 1Ks in the back. Hope I'm wrong though.
You are wrong. The inventory is all being sold as J. All they're doing is blocking those seats from pre-assignment. They'll be filled by paying J customers unless the waitlist is empty and everyone is already upgraded.

There's enough FUD on this thread to make late-'90s Microsoft proud.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
They'll be filled by paying J customers unless the waitlist is empty and everyone is already upgraded.
Shouldn't it be that it will only be filled by paying J customers. The only exception would be if there are less than 7 J customers (paying and upgraded) in the plane. Counting one for the captain. If not, same reasoning but going to less than 8 J customers.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
An agent read a memo word for word when I called this week.
gokeeper likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Twice now I've been able to book an intl' F seat as J on a 3-class 772 using a GPU from a Q fare. Am 1k, could select seat as soon as the upgrade went through.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.