Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I booked a BRU-ORD flight later this year and was able to select the old First class seat (2K). Does anybody know if they still use the mattress pad that was available when these seats were sold as Global First service?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by transportprof
I booked a BRU-ORD flight later this year and was able to select the old First class seat (2K). Does anybody know if they still use the mattress pad that was available when these seats were sold as Global First service?
I guess that if the mattress pad is not at your seat, you can request one as the passengers in the other seats had to do. I usually ask for it when they bring me the PDB.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I guess that if the mattress pad is not at your seat, you can request one as the passengers in the other seats had to do.
Agreed; that said, on the flights I've taken since November, the mattress pad was already at the old first class seats; it was in the storage area next to the seat.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
Agreed; that said, on the flights I've taken since November, the mattress pad was already at the old first class seats; it was in the storage area next to the seat.
Yes, that's where the mattress pad used to be for the First Class area. I did not know if with all the changes, they also changed that. And I don't think that UA will allow me to test that on my next trip to Europe (when they get me out of my 1K seats.....)
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Mattress pad was offered to me on my recent SFO-LHR. Glad I got to experience this seat before this most recent change!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Thanks to both replies. I should have been clearer - is the "old" GF mattress pad still in use? It was custom made for those First Class seats, and was bigger and more padded than the Polaris mattress pads.

If those old GF mattress pads are history, then, any reports on how well the smaller Polaris mattress pad fits into the GF seats? It won't fill the seat space, I don't think.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks to both replies. I should have been clearer - is the "old" GF mattress pad still in use? It was custom made for those First Class seats, and was bigger and more padded than the Polaris mattress pads.

If those old GF mattress pads are history, then, any reports on how well the smaller Polaris mattress pad fits into the GF seats? It won't fill the seat space, I don't think.
I flew a couple weeks ago and was given one from business. More than anything else it made me realize just how much bigger those old seats are!
Its much smaller but didnt bother me.
Ugleeual likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Absent an equipment change I've got a 772 GF seat on an TATL P fare in a couple weeks as a 1K. Trying to book my return but it's not letting me select them on on an award ticket (there are a few open on the seat map). It there a restriction for these seats on award tickets?

Not real interested in sitting on 2-4-2 so if I can't get the GF I'd just as soon book a Y award.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AceReport
Absent an equipment change I've got a 772 GF seat on an TATL P fare in a couple weeks as a 1K. Trying to book my return but it's not letting me select them on on an award ticket (there are a few open on the seat map). It there a restriction for these seats on award tickets?....
Likely the new generic GS restriction
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Likely the new generic GS restriction
how new is this? I was able to select 1K on my paid P TATL on 2/1 or 2/2/19. Or is the restriction just for award tix?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
how new is this? I was able to select 1K on my paid P TATL on 2/1 or 2/2/19. Or is the restriction just for award tix?
I spoke to an agent yesterday, who said she got an email about the new restriction the same day (so 2/4/19 if her info is accurate).
AceReport likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
I spoke to an agent yesterday, who said she got an email about the new restriction the same day (so 2/4/19 if her info is accurate).
Well rats, waited 2 days too long to book!!

EDIT: Just logged into my outbound reservation and can no longer select an old global first seat. I'm still in 1K so absent an equipment swap I'll hopefully get my first (and likely only!) chance to experience the old seats.

Last edited by AceReport; Feb 5, 2019 at 4:33 pm Reason: more info
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
how new is this?
See yesterday's posts in this thread -- and the thread title was changed earlier today.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
What an enhancement! I'm glad the brain trust at Willis Tower fully recognizes their loyalest customers / high spenders enjoy having benefits extended to them and then taken away. </sarcasm>

It'd be one thing if they never offered the perk... This change is really poorly received by this 1K member and taken together with the PZ removal and P PQM devaluation, is causing me to reconsider spend/loyalty for the first time in many years.

Oh, also no 1K card or kit yet (not that the trash kit really matters all that much).
chavala, JMBResona and AceReport like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Such a silly, stupid thing for UA to do.
onthesam and chavala like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.