Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

Originally Posted by Sykes
Just got the following from United Sales ... I don't see this reported elsewhere:
Starting the evening of Friday, October 19, into the early hours of Saturday, October 20, we are realigning some premium booking codes and discontinuing the use of others to prepare for the launch of United® Premium Plus. This will impact flight schedules, availability and PNRs for travel on/after Monday, October 22.

As part of this change, we will also officially stop offering United Polaris® first class as a separate cabin from United Polaris business class
Does this mean that we will be able to choose a seat in the former Polaris First for flights in November without having to waitlist an instrument?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Sykes
Just got the following from United Sales ... I don't see this reported elsewhere:
Starting the evening of Friday, October 19, into the early hours of Saturday, October 20, we are realigning some premium booking codes and discontinuing the use of others to prepare for the launch of United® Premium Plus. This will impact flight schedules, availability and PNRs for travel on/after Monday, October 22.

As a result, between October 19 at 5:00 p.m. CT and 1:00 a.m. CT on October 20, for travel on/after October 22, seat maps will be unavailable and seats cannot be assigned by agencies or United (reservations airports, united.com, etc.).​ Similar to a schedule change, a GDS response message will indicate that seat maps are unavailable. Times are subject to change.

We apologize for the inconvenience and ask that you view seat maps and assign seats after the times listed above.

As part of this change, we will also officially stop offering United Polaris® first class as a separate cabin from United Polaris business class.

Premium cabin booking codes for United domestic and international flights will be as follows:

Revenue: J, C, D, Z, P
Award: JN, ZN, IN, I
Upgrade: PN, PZ
Hm, so looks like R is getting a remap to PZ. Also, they're taking a nine-hour full system outage for this... if you're traveling early next week I would highly recommend preparing for major IT issues when this migration inevitably goes wrong somewhere.

Here's hoping my existing R segments get migrated to PZ with no issues

I'm honestly really surprised they're going to so much trouble to remap R. The First codes are already seamlessly disappearing after they sunset domestic A fares a month or two back, but I suspect this one is going to be rough.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Does this mean that we will be able to choose a seat in the former Polaris First for flights in November without having to waitlist an instrument?
This was going to be my question as well. It's going to be a real interesting answer. Whoever books earliest gets first instead of 2-4-2 business? Or will they not allowed assigned seats but now process upgrades from business to first to let people upgrade from business. This way revenue economy customers don't die on the waitlist with global first empty.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Some new info from a GS phone agent last evening. As always, it's just one agent but she said she had a memo on this subject.

As noted on another thread, tomorrow night the system will go down for a number of hours as fare buckets are changed (R changes to PZ for upgrades so that R can be sued for Premium Economy). At the same time, three class fare buckets (F, A, ON) will disappear. It will no longer be possible to waitlist for the front cabin on a three-cabin aircraft using GPUs or miles+$. I asked how those seats will be assigned, and she said they will go to GS (first) and 1K (second) based upon fare paid, assigned only on day of departure (to protect against aircraft swaps). She also said that for those of us with waitlists for F with instruments (wxguy raises hand), a "special desk" will be in touch to return the instruments. We'll see in about 24 hours how this goes...
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I asked a GS agent on the phone about this last evening. She seemed knowledgeable, and said that tonight the system will go down for a number of hours as fare buckets are changed (R changes to PZ for upgrades so that R can be sued for Premium Economy). At the same time, three class fare buckets (F, A, O, ON) will disappear. It will no longer be possible to waitlist for the front cabin on a three-cabin aircraft using GPUs or miles+$. I asked how those seats will be assigned, and she said they will go to GS (first) and 1K (second) based upon fare paid, assigned only on day of departure (to protect against aircraft swaps). She also said that for those of us with waitlists for F with instruments, a "special desk" will be in touch to return the instruments. We'll see tomorrow morning how all this has worked out...

Last edited by wxguy; Oct 19, 2018 at 11:53 am
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wxguy
It will no longer be possible to waitlist for the front cabin on a three-cabin aircraft using GPUs or miles+$. I asked how those seats will be assigned, and she said they will go to GS (first) and 1K (second) based upon fare paid, assigned only on day of departure (to protect against aircraft swaps).
That's what they did on ps when they were transitioning out the three-class 752s.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Sounds identical to the process used for 3-class p.s. in 2016-17 then.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Was looking at an IAD-NRT flight and ability to buy up when purchasing J ticket to F for $169 (when selecting seats on seat map)
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Checking my upcoming ORD-NRT reservation. It cleared into Polaris Business at booking a while ago. Still shows upgrade confirmed but I’m being offered an upgrade to ‘United First ‘ for $3336.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I can access seat map on my app at this moment, moved myself to 1A on a demostic 3 class flight.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: UA 1k
I'm able to access first seats in the 777-200 but my partner is on the reservation and when I click for his seat it asks for usd126 (west coast TATL) but then fails to secure the seat before collecting payment.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gokeeper
I can access seat map on my app at this moment, moved myself to 1A on a demostic 3 class flight.
On the app, the F seats on my TPAC 772 flights have been replaced with orange squares that look like domestic F seats. On the web, they've just changed the red seats to orange -- same angled image and everything. I was able to select one at no charge, and it shows up as such on the web and the phone. No idea if it will stick. I'm 1K, so maybe it's done by status.

I still don't see PZ in Expert Mode. I won't lose hope for a while, although it seems if they could take old fare classes out, they could put new fare classes in just as easily...
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by mrt88
I'm able to access first seats in the 777-200 but my partner is on the reservation and when I click for his seat it asks for usd126 (west coast TATL) but then fails to secure the seat before collecting payment.
I was also able to access GF seat on 777-200 (TATL) after my fare class changed from R to PZ as a 1K. If it sticks, this is a change I LIKE!
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: UA GS
I’m able to select seats in former GF during booking. No extra charge and that’s even for a non-status passenger.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by villox
I’m able to select seats in former GF during booking. No extra charge and that’s even for a non-status passenger.
I can select seats up front but can't save the seat assignment for an existing booking. I'm pretty sure this is intentional.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.