Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Yes, every time you forget about my wife. She's Platinum. On her own PNR. She selected a seat in the First Class area on Saturday morning. Today, we printed her itinerary from the manage your trip page and it says that on the flight HKG-ORD she's in seat 2K. It they boot her out of that seat, it'd better be for a plane with the new Polaris seats and there we know that her preferred seat is 3K.
It's been reported that Plats cannot select the seats up front (any more). Hopefully any existing seat selections will stick absent an aircraft swap; I would expect that they will unless UA wholesale kicks people out in order to manage it more closely.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
I've got 6A and didn't want to take the gamble on a GF seat considering how nice that one is. While I was debating mentally for an hour they all got scooped up.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by njcommodore
I've got 6A and didn't want to take the gamble on a GF seat considering how nice that one is. While I was debating mentally for an hour they all got scooped up.
Wow!
Sure enough; I checked my reservation for late November and many GF seats are now also already taken. It's a real feeding frenzy!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Are you still UA Silver? Do you mean that the seat map showed all orange for a UA Silver? When was that: Saturday, Sunday or today?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List
Did anyone notice that it looks like old Global First seats are open for selection again? Has anyone tried this? Looking at end of Jan, but I'm not sure if I want to book it if the seat assignment won't stick.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 22, 2018 at 7:38 pm Reason: moved to existing thread
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:28 pm

Thanks ExplorerWannabe and findark! I put us in the old GF seats. Should be a nice experience; one of the family members hasn't even been in business, let alone first, on UA, so should be exciting. And if it swaps to Polaris, it'll still be a nice experience.

Now will have to watch the aircraft configuration like a hawk in the weeks leading up to departure.

Have the swaps from the old config to v5 (with Polaris) typically been occurring 1-3 days out of departure? That seems to be the case from what I've gathered on FT.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BusinessElite25
Did anyone notice that it looks like old Global First seats are open for selection again? Has anyone tried this? Looking at end of Jan, but I'm not sure if I want to book it if the seat assignment won't stick.
Yes, there are other threads that discussed this issue this weekend. Many FTers jumped at the chance of seating in those better seats. What is your status? Where you trying to do that on an existing reservation or a new one? There's still the possibility that your plane will be switched to one with the new Polaris seats where there will be no old Global First seats.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by windhund
Thanks ExplorerWannabe and findark! I put us in the old GF seats. Should be a nice experience; one of the family members hasn't even been in business, let alone first, on UA, so should be exciting. And if it swaps to Polaris, it'll still be a nice experience.

Now will have to watch the aircraft configuration like a hawk in the weeks leading up to departure.

Have the swaps from the old config to v5 (with Polaris) typically been occurring 1-3 days out of departure? That seems to be the case from what I've gathered on FT.
Yes, initial frame load happens around T-60h (it's overnight Central time closest to that mark). Subsequent swaps may happen at any point from then until arrival.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windhund
Yes, that's the time frame where the swaps occurred on my flights. But, after that, you still have to monitor the seat maps as on one of my flights from ORD there was a swap back to the old configuration at 10:00 AM on day of departure. I had looked the seat map in the morning at 8:00 AM and it was still showing the new one.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:30 pm

Yes, that's the time frame where the swaps occurred on my flights. But, after that, you still have to monitor the seat maps as on one of my flights from ORD there was a swap back to the old configuration at 10:00 AM on day of departure. I had looked the seat map in the morning at 8:00 AM and it was still showing the new one.
Thanks for that tip! I have an EF alert for an aircraft change on my flight, but I'll be sure to check very regularly during the day as the flight doesn't department until later afternoon on things until we get to the airport. With four of us traveling, it'll require watching to make sure we keep/get decent seats. (Want to avoid the four seats in the middle of the old 2-4-2 BF cabin!)
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Have attempted to re-title this discussion so not so many "discovery" posts are made in other threads -- the character limit on titles is a bit of a constraint.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
narvik likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:54 am

Are you still UA Silver? Do you mean that the seat map showed all orange for a UA Silver? When was that: Saturday, Sunday or today?
Yes I'm silver. Seat map showed orange for a few days and allowed me to pick the GF seats at check in, but I was afraid of losing it and getting stuck in a middle. 6A is a great seat so that made me reluctant to take the gamble.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Yes I'm silver. Seat map showed orange for a few days and allowed me to pick the GF seats at check in, but I was afraid of losing it and getting stuck in a middle. 6A is a great seat so that made me reluctant to take the gamble.
I will ONLY book this bird in 6A, but still couldn't resist changing to 2A, so I did.
Surprised as Silver you had the opportunity to book old GF. That isn't necessarily consistent with what others have been saying.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by narvik
I will ONLY book this bird in 6A, but still couldn't resist changing to 2A, so I did.
Surprised as Silver you had the opportunity to book old GF. That isn't necessarily consistent with what others have been saying.
I would say there's a difference between booking it and selecting it at checkin.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:16 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I’m assuming if I select a former GF seat now for a flight in March, and I lose my 1K status on Feb 1....That I’ll get swept out of the seat?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.