Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:03 pm

I switched from 9C to 2A during checkin. I had a flight 8hrs prior and it had all the seats available. Kept checking all day and didn't move but the other seats were slowly getting taken.
I can tell you row 1 and 2 are 10x better than the standard class. Also the flight prior I was on the 777-200 V4 and all those seats are nice.
I spoke with the flight attendent and both passengers on each of the flights and unanimously all dated the new polaris. Passengers said it felt claustrophobic and flight attendents say it's very hard to serve the customers in there.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tilhas
I switched from 9C to 2A during checkin. I had a flight 8hrs prior and it had all the seats available.
Lucky you! For my destinations usually there's only one seat left the night before check-in.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k & MM, Accor/LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
My understanding is that the 1K on J/C/D fare cannot select those seats. The 1K on J/C/D fare might get an invitation from United to enjoy those seats once the United computer figures that the flight will have a low number of GS. Those who get such invitation get an email from United that their seats have changed.

The situation excluding 1K even with J fare from
selecting rows 1 or 2 (prior FC) when booking is pretty poor decision. As they are exclusive to GS with possible availability closer to departure as other have noted. That game of chance not worth it as the 2-4-2 confit on the non retrofitted 777-200’s can be slim picking especially if traveling sole. At least for the IAD- NRT - IAD run you can code where on ANA (NH) and fly 1-1-1-1 on newer 777-300 (W)

Still get PQM, PQD and PQS on United Ticket Stock (016)

Thoughts?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by tilhas
I switched from 9C to 2A during checkin. I had a flight 8hrs prior and it had all the seats available. Kept checking all day and didn't move but the other seats were slowly getting taken.
I can tell you row 1 and 2 are 10x better than the standard class. Also the flight prior I was on the 777-200 V4 and all those seats are nice.
I spoke with the flight attendent and both passengers on each of the flights and unanimously all dated the new polaris. Passengers said it felt claustrophobic and flight attendents say it's very hard to serve the customers in there.
I totally disagree - much prefer the new Polaris seats to all current United business class seats. One of the reasons I like it is for how private and enclosed it feels (some may think this is claustrophobic but I prefer being in my own private space and not being bothered by others around me).
SteveHK and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:27 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My understanding is that the 1K on J/C/D fare cannot select those seats. The 1K on J/C/D fare might get an invitation from United to enjoy those seats once the United computer figures that the flight will have a low number of GS. Those who get such invitation get an email from United that their seats have changed.
That's my understanding too. There appeared to be some misinformation in the Wiki based on a one-off experience which may have a technical glitch.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
EWR/FCO 40 tonight. Booked GF 2G. Polarized to Polaris 2G which is a crummy seat. You think they would let you select a seat after taking the GF one away. Least of my worries though. Delayed almost 4 hours for MX. Another superb job
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I have an upcoming BKK-NRT-IAD trip. First leg obviously ANA but a UA codeshare if it matters. Is it known what impact that has on the ability to select open seats from the first two rows?

ill plan to do all of the below, bust wanted to know if anyone knew:

1) check in through ana, then goto united immediately after and change seat
2) same as above but go to ua exactly 24 hours before hand
3) same as 1 but call us immediately after checkin with ana and ask
4) same as 1 but call ua t-24 of nrt-iad leg
5) nothing until the ana flight coupon shows as used

EDIT: No luck so far. ANA can't do anything. UA seat selection is locked out. Called twice, was told not available; EF shows 1A and 1K blocked. I'll just keep checking.

Last edited by BThumme; Jul 23, 2019 at 3:44 am
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:24 pm

How are old 1st class seats given out on 3 class 772?

I have an upcoming flight in J on a 3 class 772. None of the 1st class seats are available on the seat selector. Have they already been assigned, or do they wait until check in?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 31, 2019 at 10:09 pm Reason: moved to exisiting thread
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
GS can Select them anytime. There are reports of UA letting certain non-GS HVFs choosing them as well, but that’s rare. Closer to the flight, you may have option to choose them (mostly at check in) if they are available.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, Omni
Originally Posted by manstein58
EWR/FCO 40 tonight. Booked GF 2G. Polarized to Polaris 2G which is a crummy seat. You think they would let you select a seat after taking the GF one away. Least of my worries though. Delayed almost 4 hours for MX. Another superb job
I am booked in J on this same flight EWR-FCO departing Aug 10 on the 777-200 with 8 old GF and 40 business with that god awful 2/4/2 configuration. As a lowly 1K, the 8 GF seats are grayed out and so I chose 7C for the moment.

When you say Polarized to Polaris 2G, do you mean that the aircraft was switched last minute to one with actual new Polaris seats (and no old GF seats) and so your 2G seat translated to a new Polaris seat in the business class section? If so, how common do these last minute aircraft swaps occur? I've never experienced this on an international route before, though on domestic flights perhaps every so often.

Separately, you mentioned a 4 hour delay due to MX - does anyone know if this route specifically is prone to delays or how to check its historical on-time performance? I've not flown directly to Rome before and if this upcoming flight is delayed for +2 hours, I am monumentally screwed with very little feasible backup plans. Will need to mentally prepare for this possibility.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hudsonlaluna
When you say Polarized to Polaris 2G, do you mean that the aircraft was switched last minute to one with actual new Polaris seats (and no old GF seats) and so your 2G seat translated to a new Polaris seat in the business class section? If so, how common do these last minute aircraft swaps occur? I've never experienced this on an international route before, though on domestic flights perhaps every so often.
On my last UA TATL, the aircraft assignment went IPTE/Polaris/IPTE over a 72 hour period.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by halls120
On my last UA TATL, the aircraft assignment went IPTE/Polaris/IPTE over a 72 hour period.
On my ORD-PVG in May, the aircraft assignment went IPTE/Polaris/IPTE/pmCO 772 (whatever that seat is) over a 72 hour period. The last swap was 5 hours before the flight. Not happy to lose the First Class seats that we had. My wife had 2A assigned by United in the swap at T-48. I had managed to get 2C at check-in. And not happy that by the time the last swap happened we could not get seats together in a plane that is all 2-2-2......
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:03 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
On my ORD-PVG in May, the aircraft assignment went IPTE/Polaris/IPTE/pmCO 772 (whatever that seat is) over a 72 hour period. The last swap was 5 hours before the flight. Not happy to lose the First Class seats that we had. My wife had 2A assigned by United in the swap at T-48. I had managed to get 2C at check-in.

Same as me...Same routing, different month--but traveling solo. Lost 2A, reservations wouldn't give it back to me when the aircraft changed back, and flew in 2H--not the worst seat and better than anything in the 8-across business, but longed for any A or K seat. ...And I was lucky to get that, as I checked in right at the 24 hour mark.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: UA 1K3MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hertz PC
Question interim 77x seatmaps : business class question

i am in 6b on an upcoming LHR to IAD that show this interim seatmap with the pmUA 3 class config ...

if the 3 class config is actually what gets flown : do they fly first class empty ? (not avail for sale of course and also no avail for seat selection in business)

i thought i had seen a thread on this topic last year that was suggesting that ua would pick some bus class customers and move them in row 1/2 .. but i cant find it anymore ....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 11, 2019 at 2:06 pm Reason: Moved to desired thread
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pbr6891
if the 3 class config is actually what gets flown : do they fly first class empty ? (not avail for sale of course and also no avail for seat selection in business)

i thought i had seen a thread on this topic last year that was suggesting that ua would pick some bus class customers and move them in row 1/2 .. but i cant find it anymore ....
GS has access, then perhaps high fare 1Ks and at check-in anyone (holding a business class ticket)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.