Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by roxie
Is there any recent experience on seat assignments when going from [777 with old first class] ==> to [Polarized 777] and then ==> back to [777 with old first class].

Flying to PVG and was orginally in old first seat 2K. They now changed to polarized and in 2L.

I'd rather be in an odd numbered polarized seat that is by the window (1L is taken). But I'm worried about changing to 3L as I'm not sure what will happen if they change back to a non-polarized. Would my current 2L revert back to 2K in first automatically? And if I change to 3L now, would I not get back in 2K if they revert to the non-polarized?

Thanks for your insight.
My post from March 9 explains a situation where this happened. I believe they resorted F class by GS and highest fares, but I’m not certain. I had been in row 1 in both configs and then got downgraded to biz class. It took some calls to get me back into F.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Is there any recent experience on seat assignments when going from [777 with old first class] ==> to [Polarized 777] and then ==> back to [777 with old first class].

Flying to PVG and was orginally in old first seat 2K. They now changed to polarized and in 2L.

I'd rather be in an odd numbered polarized seat that is by the window (1L is taken). But I'm worried about changing to 3L as I'm not sure what will happen if they change back to a non-polarized. Would my current 2L revert back to 2K in first automatically? And if I change to 3L now, would I not get back in 2K if they revert to the non-polarized?

Thanks for your insight.
I think it’s not happening as much as it used to. I’ve been watching ORD-FRA-ORD for the past 3 weeks and nearly every flight changed fo Polaris about 48 hours before, but none of them changed back to the old config.
But of course... nobody knows. Watch and hope. Good luck!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Flying Blue Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriot Plat (TWA / NWA - million miler)
the old first seats are available on a couple of flights that i was looking at yesterday. I was able to select them as a 1K. but i didnt book yet...
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by chavala

I think it’s not happening as much as it used to. I’ve been watching ORD-FRA-ORD for the past 3 weeks and nearly every flight changed fo Polaris about 48 hours before, but none of them changed back to the old config.
But of course... nobody knows. Watch and hope. Good luck!
That's understandable as the retrofits of the pmUA IPTE 772s continue: Last I checked, there were 17 completed, three in process, and 13 still flying as three-class.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Glad UA made this change! Confirmed in Lufthansa F for my flight today. No need to deal with GS/1K nonsense, a much better product and a great use of a GPU. 4 hrs in the FCT to boot.
onthesam and Hipplewm like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL

Thanks for your insight.
Twice since February. Booked in old GF first, automatically moved to polarized middle seat, before I could change depolarized and now at the rear of the business cabin. Window seats both times, not my preferred aisle seat. I am beginning to think this is how they shake us out of the old GF seats when they need them.....
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Z Man
the old first seats are available on a couple of flights that i was looking at yesterday. I was able to select them as a 1K. but i didn't book yet...
I think these show as available when just viewing seats in the initial process of looking at flights but they won't show as available for selection when you do book and go to choose seats. That's what happens to me.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by uanj
...beginning to think
Based on reports here, it seems that that is exactly what they are up to...
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:14 pm

Well, I was sad to see a couple days ago that my flight today (with an upgrade cleared shortly after booking) was on one of the old-configuration aircraft. But then I saw this thread and checked in at exactly T-24. I (silver) and a colleague (no status) had no problem grabbing ex-F seats. Had a nice ride in not-F-anymore even if they were completely out of every beer on the list and had restocked with nothing but Stella.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Mar 19, 2019 at 8:21 pm
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
Glad UA made this change! Confirmed in Lufthansa F for my flight today. No need to deal with GS/1K nonsense, a much better product and a great use of a GPU. 4 hrs in the FCT to boot.

Same here - as long as I can I re qual 1K, all bets are off, fly what you want. I book EVA as well, very nice ride. I’ll never fly enough to make GS so VoV
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.5 MM, AA PLAT PRO 1MM

Thanks for your insight.
Flying today. I originally grabbed two seats (both 1K) in row 2 of the old F cabin. Two days ago, the aircraft was Polarized, and we had seats in row 2. Last night, I got a text message about a seat assignment change. I looked at the seat map, and it was back to the old configuration and we were now further back - fortunately two seats on the side and not the two middle seats. All the F seats were showing as "occupied," so I was not able to move us back into old F cabin.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
We have the "F" seats, 1K and 2K, on an upcoming flight SFO to LHR in April. I booked these tickets a long time ago, so far the seat assignment has not changed. Do I need to proactively change to a "regular" C seat so as not to get stuck in the middle four, or will this flight, #901 , get Polarized? In this case I need to watch like a hawk because some of the Polaris seating is not good.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by mmack
We have the "F" seats, 1K and 2K, on an upcoming flight SFO to LHR in April. I booked these tickets a long time ago, so far the seat assignment has not changed. Do I need to proactively change to a "regular" C seat so as not to get stuck in the middle four, or will this flight, #901 , get Polarized? In this case I need to watch like a hawk because some of the Polaris seating is not good.
You will likely be swapped out of your seats approx. 48 hours prior to departure (if not sooner).
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by mmack
Do I need to proactively change to a "regular" C seat so as not to get stuck in the middle four, or will this flight, #901 , get Polarized?.
As of today, 17 of the 33 pmUA 772s have been configured with the new Polaris seats, meaning you have about 50/50 odds that your aircraft will be Polarized. Whether you want to risk the possible change is up to you. What I've been doing is checking the configuration beginning about 3 days prior to departure. The change is made sometime between then and 48 hours before departure. But as many others have reported, it can change again, so it's wise to check frequently before departure.

If you're flying a pmCO 772, only 1 of the 22 has been Polarized, so your chances of a seating change are much smaller.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
As of today, 17 of the 33 pmUA 772s have been configured with the new Polaris seats, meaning you have about 50/50 odds that your aircraft will be Polarized. Whether you want to risk the possible change is up to you. What I've been doing is checking the configuration beginning about 3 days prior to departure. The change is made sometime between then and 48 hours before departure. But as many others have reported, it can change again, so it's wise to check frequently before departure.

If you're flying a pmCO 772, only 1 of the 22 has been Polarized, so your chances of a seating change are much smaller.
How do I know if its a pmCO 772?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.