Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pk12
I would like to try out United's new 'premium plus' cabin, so I may book 1 leg with it and 1 leg with Polaris business. Would you worry about purchasing a premium plus seat and have them change the equipment to a normal economy plus seat at the last minute? ..
While any swap is possible, UA appears to be selling PP on only some routes and not offering PP on routes that might have some PP aircraft. It has been speculated on FT, this means swaps to non-PP on routes selling PP would be highly unlikely.

As I have paid PP flights in the future, I also hoped UA prioritizes aircraft for those routes.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I would like to try out United's new 'premium plus' cabin, so I may book 1 leg with it and 1 leg with Polaris business. Would you worry about purchasing a premium plus seat and have them change the equipment to a normal economy plus seat at the last minute?
I would not. While anything is possible, UA is guarding heavily in the opposite direction: flying aircraft equipped with PE on routes where they don't sell it. They will only sell PE when they are confident they can deliver it.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While any swap is possible, UA appears to be selling PP on only some routes and not offering PP on routes that might have some PP aircraft. It has been speculated on FT, this means swaps to non-PP on routes selling PP would be highly unlikely.

As I have paid PP flights in the future, I also hoped UA prioritizes aircraft for those routes.
Yes, one way United is protecting the PP routes is by not selling those yet out of or into ORD. From time to time we do get a plane with PP.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would like to try out United's new 'premium plus' cabin, so I may book 1 leg with it and 1 leg with Polaris business. Would you worry about purchasing a premium plus seat and have them change the equipment to a normal economy plus seat at the last minute? Sorry for all the questions on this, I usually don't fly United as much so I appreciate you helping.

FWIW - I'd be buying class R (united premium plus)

I definitely wouldn't be buying the P+ seat instead of Polaris in that direction.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Question About Selecting Former Global First Seats

I'm 1K.
When I search a flight for HKG (for next week) and look at the seat map, it shows former Global First seats open.
If it shows them available and I book that ticket can I choose those seats at booking?
If so, would you chose those over new the Polaris seats on a different routing?

(United does say that “to provide the best experience for all our customers, a dedicated team will monitor flights and may assign former Polaris first class seats to Premier 1K and other high value customers closer to departure when the actual aircraft is assigned and most accurate seatmap is confirmed.”)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 25, 2019 at 10:38 pm Reason: Moved to existing thread
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by TomA
I'm 1K.
When I search a flight for HKG (for next week) and look at the seat map, it shows former Global First seats open.
If it shows them available and I book that ticket can I choose those seats at booking?
If so, would you chose those over new the Polaris seats on a different routing?
Short answer is "No" to both of those questions. Longer answer is that you'll likely enjoy the new Polaris seat if you can get it. However, if you do choose the flight with the GF seats, you might be able to swap to one of those seats during OLCI (online check-in) at ~T-24 hours if they're still available.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by SFHokie
Short answer is "No" to both of those questions. Longer answer is that you'll likely enjoy the new Polaris seat if you can get it. However, if you do choose the flight with the GF seats, you might be able to swap to one of those seats during OLCI (online check-in) at ~T-24 hours if they're still available.
Pretty awful (and kind of false advertising) of them to show the seats as available on the map, if they are not selectable after purchase.

Yes, I like the Polaris seats very much, but never tried a GF seat, so I was wondering if it was worth a shot. (But fail and you end up in 2-4-2.)
When I've had a chance to fly first I always choose an Asian or European carrier. (
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Data point ORD-LAX is 777-200 with GF greyed out still after purchasing a D fare for this 1k. Been 48 hours now and still can't select a GF seat. Is this an actual policy that 1k desk would actually know or help with?

Thanks.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:26 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schley
Data point ORD-LAX is 777-200 with GF greyed out still after purchasing a D fare for this 1k. Been 48 hours now and still can't select a GF seat. Is this an actual policy that 1k desk would actually know or help with?

Thanks.
I am changing the Wiki back. I think the 1K J/C/D seat selection ability is FAKE NEWS. My mother on a D fare (1K) cannot select a row 1/2 seat on a legacy 777 either. I did several test bookings on another 1K account; no dice. A single anecdotal post does not a rule make.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Same thing for me ORD-LAX on a D fare. Could not select.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:36 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onthesam
Same thing for me ORD-LAX on a D fare. Could not select.
Those are frequently Polarized, FYI.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ari
I am changing the Wiki back. I think the 1K J/C/D seat selection ability is FAKE NEWS. My mother on a D fare (1K) cannot select a row 1/2 seat on a legacy 777 either. I did several test bookings on another 1K account; no dice. A single anecdotal post does not a rule make.
My understanding is that the 1K on J/C/D fare cannot select those seats. The 1K on J/C/D fare might get an invitation from United to enjoy those seats once the United computer figures that the flight will have a low number of GS. Those who get such invitation get an email from United that their seats have changed.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Star Alliance, Delta SkyMiles, SW Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by fumje
I definitely wouldn't be buying the P+ seat instead of Polaris in that direction.
Why not? Unfortunately it's already purchased.. the price difference between the legs was too much. It would cost me an extra $500 to switch the classes to the opposite legs.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not? Unfortunately it's already purchased.. the price difference between the legs was too much. It would cost me an extra $500 to switch the classes to the opposite legs.
OK, fair enough if there was a price difference and all you want is to try both. The advantage of the J seat is laying flat, so that you can sleep deeply, and the US-Eur flight is the one on which you want to sleep. Coming back it's better to be mostly awake, maybe with a little bit of napping which is fine in the P+ seats.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:25 am
Original Poster

ORD-PVG. My wife's seat was 7H, my seat was 7C. Both 1Ks upgraded to PZ one month prior to the flight. The night before check-in only seat 1H was still available in the former First Class area.

My wife had booked the first flight out of our small airport so she did her check-in at T-30 of the ORD-PVG flight. Her first attempt failed as she got to the end of the process without the page for seat selection appearing. Moments of panic but a second attempt at check-in was successful and she got seat 1H. Thirty minutes later, seat 2A became available. She was very tempted to switch seats but she worried that something would go wrong in the process. The outfit that purchased my ticket had booked me on the second flight leaving our city so I could only do the check-in at T-28. By that time, seat 2A was taken but seat 6B had opened. So, I took 6B.

We kept checking the seat map every so often but failed to see that seat 2K had opened at some time between T-24 and T-22.5. The only person that was on the upgrade list that morning got upgraded and appeared in the upgrade list in seat 2K. At T-14, we noticed that that passenger was now seated in seat 7C but seat 2K was occupied. So, maybe a second time that we failed to see that a seat had become available.

At boarding, my wife gave me her seat as she really likes row 6 in that plane (She regretted that as seat 6A was occupied by the neighbors from Hell, the key part being the "s").

My wife did ask the passenger in seat 7C how come his seat was changed. He said that he was summarily ejected from that seat and reassigned to 7C. Happened automatically with no reason given. He assumed that the seat was given to a higher status passenger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.