Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I just want to confirm what the wiki says. My flight on the 777-200 is the third of three legs and I will be checking in about 42 hours before the flight. Currently there are three seats available and we are three weeks out from the flight so do realize a GS may snag them.
United also sometimes gives those seats to 1Ks paying high fares (starting at D fare, meaning no P or Z qualify). They receive an email that their seat assignment has changed.

But I do hope that you get one of those seats.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:05 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
That was what I was wanting to confirm, that i would not lose the seat after check in since I would be checking in so much earlier than other pax.
Just watch it like a hawk because they might switch it back and forth in which case you have to reassign. That happened to me on ORD-LAX last week-- polarized ~22 hours out and then un-polarized ~12 hours out.
onthesam likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
This 1k can confirm that on a D fare, I was able to select GF seat 1H upon purchase, and that the seat assignment stuck.

Really enjoyed that seat and the ride FRA-IAD. Nice to have all that storage.
findark likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm impressed they went to that much work to fine-tune the seat selection rules on a config which is nearly retired.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Maybe it’s a test run for preferred seating concept in Polaris..
onthesam likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by findark
I'm impressed they went to that much work to fine-tune the seat selection rules on a config which is nearly retired.
Makes sense to do what they can while it lasts to keep their best customers happy and partially monetize the GF cabin by encouraging 1Ks to buy higher J fares to get in there.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Had an odd conversation with a GS agent today. Was trying to get my partner into the former Global First seats on a 3-cabin 777-200 and she noted companions can't be placed into those seats. I assumed the issue was the different PNR but she said even if he was on my itinerary, he wouldn't be able to sit there - and if we selected a seat the automatic program that reviews assignments for GS would bump him out.

Is this correct? I always assumed companions on the same record would be able to be assigned there are booking as well...
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Hahaha automatic bumpout program. That's rich! Nice imagination. I guess it functions by swapping planes in and out...
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: United 1K/GS, AA Gold
GS companion benefit

In August, I am going to be traveling to Europe, and my daughter will be accompanying me. I am GS and she has no status. One of the flights on the itinerary is currently scheduled to be on a 3-class 777, which means that with my paid business fare, I should be able to get a seat in the old Global First section (and there are plenty of seats). I am planning on using the GS benefit that allows United to open a Business Saver ticket on the flight for my daughter. Does anyone know if she will be able to reserve a seat in GF as well?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
In my experience, she has to be on the same PNR as you, not just traveling on the same flight.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Cardiac Kid
.... One of the flights on the itinerary is currently scheduled to be on a 3-class 777 ...
Beware these 3-class aircraft are disappearing monthly and the chances of being switch to a new Polaris configuration is high
Only 10 of the original 33 are still in the old config

... I am planning on using the GS benefit that allows United to open a Business Saver ticket on the flight for my daughter. Does anyone know if she will be able to reserve a seat in GF as well?
See the recent post of a similar situation a few posts back
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
Had an odd conversation with a GS agent today. Was trying to get my partner into the former Global First seats on a 3-cabin 777-200 and she noted companions can't be placed into those seats. I assumed the issue was the different PNR but she said even if he was on my itinerary, he wouldn't be able to sit there - and if we selected a seat the automatic program that reviews assignments for GS would bump him out.

Is this correct? I always assumed companions on the same record would be able to be assigned there are booking as well...

My wife (GS) and my one son (no status) are traveling on the same PNR, I was able to assign them both former GF seats via the website.

My other son was coming along, with us too. Because of a split PNR, it took me several calls to find an agent willing to seat him next to his mother. The first few said it could not be done. Perhaps an exception was made due to the fact he would otherwise be an unaccompanied minor.

Now I just hope the GF config sticks and doesn't go through the usual Polarized / Unpolarized process that so often messes up seat assignments.

Frankly the whole thing highlights how insane it is that PNRs can be split, but not joined. Frankly if I'm traveling with family on the same itinerary, I should be able to join PNRs.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LordHamster
....Frankly if I'm traveling with family on the same itinerary, I should be able to join PNRs.
I think you will find the same issue with other airlines.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Star Alliance, Delta SkyMiles, SW Rapid Rewards
Question 777-200 Business Polaris Question

Hello Everyone! I am considering purchasing this ticket in business but I cannot find the layout in Seatguru or any other site (screenshot below). The first two rows look odd to me as they only have four seats and then it goes to eight, which makes little sense. The reverse seats make me think this is just their old plane, because everything I have seen for Polaris is forward-facing. Am I wrong? If anyone has experience on this layout, is it worth it? Or should I go on Lufthansa instead? Which seat do you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 23, 2019 at 9:20 pm Reason: Moved to consodidated thread
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by pk12
.... The first two rows look odd to me as they only have four seats and then it goes to eight, which makes little sense. The reverse seats make me think this is just their old plane, because everything I have seen for Polaris is forward-facing. Am I wrong? If anyone has experience on this layout, is it worth it? Or should I go on Lufthansa instead? Which seat do you suggest?
As this thread discusses this is the older 3-class 772 but with the old GF seats now being sold a business (but only GS or 1Ks on J/C/D fare have access).

For info on seat selection, see Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.