Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by globetraveler
Does anyone know what seat 1K on the old config would convert to if the equip gets upgauged to the new Polaris config?
Three weeks ago, my wife got swapped from 1K to1L as many have reported but there were some reports of passengers getting other random seat.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by globetraveler
Does anyone know what seat 1K on the old config would convert to if the equip gets upgauged to the new Polaris config?
Twice I got 1L from 1K but once I was put in some random middle seat. Watch it like a hawk, but especially when Flight Status becomes available just after midnight a couple days before your flight.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:40 pm

This thread has been very helpful so thanks to everyone who has been asking questions and providing insight.

I just booked FCO-EWR for my wife and me on August 25 (redemption). 2 seats in GF showed as available in the search results seat map, but neither were available for selection while going through the purchase process.

After purchasing the tickets, when I went to try to change seats on the website, the two GF seats showed up as available...for $599 each. Somewhat interestingly, the same option doesn't show up on the mobile app - the GF seats are all greyed out.

I'm a lowly Silver so I wasn't expecting to be able to select those seats, but I hadn't seen anyone mention the possibility of paying to move up to GF so maybe this is new?

Last edited by ecumar; May 30, 2019 at 3:41 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
This 1K has been assigned to the former F seats on IAD-FRA and FRA-IAD.

While I don't remember what seat I chose for the outbound, I know for certain on the return I picked 6G. I now find myself in 1H.

We'll see what bird I end up with.

I will be sure to post if this lowly 1K is bestowed the honor of flying in the old F seats.
onthesam likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 2:35 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by big V
This 1K has been assigned to the former F seats on IAD-FRA and FRA-IAD.

While I don't remember what seat I chose for the outbound, I know for certain on the return I picked 6G. I now find myself in 1H.

We'll see what bird I end up with.

I will be sure to post if this lowly 1K is bestowed the honor of flying in the old F seats.
Are you on a D fare or above?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Originally Posted by Ari
Are you on a D fare or above?
Yup, on a D Fare. Is that the magic threshold?

Checked out the last 5 flights for IAD-FRA, only one was the non-Polaris, three-class 777. So hope spring eternal that I might get a ride out in true comfort and style.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:16 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by big V
Yup, on a D Fare. Is that the magic threshold?

Checked out the last 5 flights for IAD-FRA, only one was the non-Polaris, three-class 777. So hope spring eternal that I might get a ride out in true comfort and style.
Seems to be for 1K.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: AA CK & Hyatt Globalist
Domestic 3-Class Question

Happy Monday!

Just booked LAX - ORD on 18JUN and it appears (AS OF NOW) to be operated by 3-class 772...After reading all the posts in this topic I can't seem to find any mentioning if the process is the same on a domestic flight as it is for int'l....

Probably way too soon but no option available to upgrade to ex-Polaris First...and I tried booking full fare D or J and still rows 1-2 are blocked...any insight would be greatly appreciated
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by flyerboi17
Happy Monday!

Just booked LAX - ORD on 18JUN and it appears (AS OF NOW) to be operated by 3-class 772...After reading all the posts in this topic I can't seem to find any mentioning if the process is the same on a domestic flight as it is for int'l....

Probably way too soon but no option available to upgrade to ex-Polaris First...and I tried booking full fare D or J and still rows 1-2 are blocked...any insight would be greatly appreciated
Are you 1k or GS? The post above seems to indicate that the D fare and above only allows 1k to select seats.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: AA CK & Hyatt Globalist
Hi there!

Only Gold...wasnt sure if the same rules, mentioned above, applied when they are using that config on a domestic route...
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Just got de-polarized for an upcoming flight. 1K is open, but we are still outside of T-24. Hope it stays that way and I can get access at check in.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:54 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VWang1111
Are you 1k or GS? The post above seems to indicate that the D fare and above only allows 1k to select seats.
It doesn't allow 1K's on D fares to select rows 1/2, rather, UA appears to proactively [re]assign seats in rows 1/2 to GS and 1K's on J/C/D fares preferentially once aircraft type is known.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, Omni
I just booked a P fare biz class EWR-FCO for mid-August and well, it looks like it is a 777-200 with the 3-class configuration. When it was time to choose seats, all the 8 old first class seats were grayed out and about half the 2-4-2 seats were also grayed out. It's been a couple years since I've flown biz class on the 2-4-2 but I recall it was rather uncomfortable and unpleasant due to the proximity and hence disturbances of fellow passengers (in the 4person section).

I'm also a lowly 1K and wondering if that's why I didn't have the option of choosing one of the old Global First seats? The flight is more than 2 months away and I have a hard time believing that all those seats have already been bought by GS passengers.

Separately, what are the chances, if any, of the flight swapping out to an aircraft with the actual Polaris seats, if anyone is familiar with the NYC to Rome route...? Am just dreading the experience of that 2-4-2 seating and lack of privacy.

Thanks
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
When does seatmap get updated?

I booked my partner and I into the F cabin of the 3-cabin 772 (on separate PNR), and I could see the plane coming in has reconfigured cabin, but our flight still shows the three-cabin. We are about 60 hours prior departure and want to make sure we sit in the odd middle seats together. We are now in Row 2 center two seats in the three class cabin.

When does seat map gets updated so we can grab the preferred seats?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I booked my partner and I into the F cabin of the 3-cabin 772 (on separate PNR), and I could see the plane coming in has reconfigured cabin, but our flight still shows the three-cabin. We are about 60 hours prior departure and want to make sure we sit in the odd middle seats together. We are now in Row 2 center two seats in the three class cabin.

When does seat map gets updated so we can grab the preferred seats?
Seems around mid-night Chicago time (give or take an hour or so)
chavala and findark like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.