Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by cfischer
$70k on 016 tickets last year ... no junk change either

I see the point, but I am actively booking away from UA metal because of it ... will a GS book away from UA metal? The GS I know won't ... for the better or worse.
If the only option is the 2-4-2 monstrosity, this GS has and will book LH or ANA. Thankfully, you don’t see that configuration much when flying out of EWR
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by cfischer
$70k on 016 tickets last year ... no junk change either

I see the point, but I am actively booking away from UA metal because of it ... will a GS book away from UA metal? The GS I know won't ... for the better or worse.
Were you paying for (or upgrading to) GF before?

I bet there are some GS that will book UA biz now (and were not booking 2-4-2 previously) because they can get a the old GF seat.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed

Were you paying for (or upgrading to) GF before?

I bet there are some GS that will book UA biz now (and were not booking 2-4-2 previously) because they can get a the old GF seat.
A negative consequence of this (for UA) is that I used to book D so I could use a GPU to upgrade to ON (GF seat). I'm lucky that for many years my travels have taken me to destinations where sUA 772s flew, avoiding all other types.

Now, I book P or Z and am fine with the new Polaris product. My total spend with UA will go down this year as a result. I consider getting a GF seat on a 3-class plane as a bonus now, until everything is Polarisized.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by wxguy
A negative consequence of this (for UA) is that I used to book D so I could use a GPU to upgrade to ON (GF seat). I'm lucky that for many years my travels have taken me to destinations where sUA 772s flew, avoiding all other types.

Now, I book P or Z and am fine with the new Polaris product. My total spend with UA will go down this year as a result. I consider getting a GF seat on a 3-class plane as a bonus now, until everything is Polarisized.
Same. Given that even some C fares are becoming non-refundable, I now take pride in booking the lowest possible P fare. Gone are the days of paying a significant premium for J/C/D. On personal trips I’ll always be on the look out for PN rather than ON.

Even if GF was filled with upgrades like me, they were upgraders on higher margin tickets than would have otherwise been booked. I still don’t think CO properly modeled this when deciding to remove GF.
iluv2fly, UA_Flyer and wxguy like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
In October I booked 2A/C on the 3-class 772 IAD-SFO, and last week when I checked I had been kicked back to 8A/B. I called UA and they said "the F cabin is under inventory management and will be available at the airport." Is this actually true? Is there any way to tell whether the F seats are actually assigned or are just being blocked? This is my 1MM flight so I'm keen to get in the F cabin...
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
In October I booked 2A/C on the 3-class 772 IAD-SFO, and last week when I checked I had been kicked back to 8A/B. I called UA and they said "the F cabin is under inventory management and will be available at the airport." Is this actually true? Is there any way to tell whether the F seats are actually assigned or are just being blocked? This is my 1MM flight so I'm keen to get in the F cabin...
1A is blocked and the rest, if not showing as available on the initial flight search, are probably assigned. There was a mess where they lost everyone's seat assignments a while back.

The GF cabin is only available to GS for pre-assignment, and we're lacking in concrete reports what happens after check-in.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Admittedly I heard this from someone else, but apparently some 1Ks are being bumped from their GF seats at the gate because "a GS wanted it."

So it seems UA is really going all the way to keep the cabin available for GS at the expense of 1Ks.
Live4Upgrade likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
Happened to me today....bumped for a GS
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Had two flights booked when 1K were still able to select the GF seats. Both flights were swapped for Polaris. Now the "perk" as a 1K is gone.

Oh well...
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mike2003242
Happened to me today....bumped for a GS
They actually told you that?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chavala
Yup!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond
New Policy? Can't reserve empty J seats on 777-200 with old F cabin anymore

I have a flight in early March MUC-ORD that is a 777-200 and is showing the seatmap as shown in this thread: the old business class (48 total seats) and the new PE economy.
Last October, i had an upgrade for PVG-ORD clear and was able to select 2C as that was when they got rid of the F cabin, and let anyone in J select those very private seats IMHO.
My upgrade for my March MUC-ORD cleared today and I went into the mobile seatmap and saw Rows 1-2 "full" so picked another seat.
I saw the same on the seatmap on the website.
On a whim, I went to book the same flight and 2 seats in Row 2 on the seatmap were listed as empty.
I called 1k line to ask them to put me in the empty 2C and the agent said due to equipment swaps, the system is not letting Rows 1-2 seats be chosen. She would only say they
want to make sure someone that bought a first class ticket, would get one of the seats in Rows 1/2, the old F, if the equipment did not swap to the new Polaris with 50 seats.
So I assume the old metal with 8 F seats, -1 blocked for pilot (and missing on mobile app seat map), and 2 shown as FREE on that booking page, means more than 5 people bought F tickets but
don't have seat assignments(?).
What am I missing?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 19, 2019 at 8:09 pm Reason: Moved to consolidated thread
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by cos999
I have a flight in early March MUC-ORD that is a 777-200 and is showing the seatmap as shown in this thread: the old business class (48 total seats) and the new PE economy.
Last October, i had an upgrade for PVG-ORD clear and was able to select 2C as that was when they got rid of the F cabin, and let anyone in J select those very private seats IMHO.
My upgrade for my March MUC-ORD cleared today and I went into the mobile seatmap and saw Rows 1-2 "full" so picked another seat.
I saw the same on the seatmap on the website.
On a whim, I went to book the same flight and 2 seats in Row 2 on the seatmap were listed as empty.
I called 1k line to ask them to put me in the empty 2C and the agent said due to equipment swaps, the system is not letting Rows 1-2 seats be chosen. She would only say they
want to make sure someone that bought a first class ticket, would get one of the seats in Rows 1/2, the old F, if the equipment did not swap to the new Polaris with 50 seats.
So I assume the old metal with 8 F seats, -1 blocked for pilot (and missing on mobile app seat map), and 2 shown as FREE on that booking page, means more than 5 people bought F tickets but
don't have seat assignments(?).
What am I missing?
Since 2/5, only GS can pre-select the old GF seats now. 1K's used to be able to, but no more. See this thread's wiki. The agent is wrong, as UA sells no first class tickets on UA metal for international flights anymore.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:04 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by chavala
Originally Posted by mike2003242
Yup!
Wow. I know GS are almighty when it comes to UA, and I get it to an extent...But this is beyond ridiculous. We 1Ks were offered a perk, we made plans based on said perk, and now we have reports of it literally being taken away on the spot. UA moving the goalposts is not cool under any circumstances.

I’ve got 2A next month on two very long flights. For the same money and no further “time” on my part, I intentionally booked the GF seat when I could have taken the 777-300 or even a 789...Both are better than 2-4-2 business. But I chose my routing based on the fact UA allowed me to book that GF seat, or worst case (a wash to me), new Polaris.

Now, with PE going live next month, and the shift of re-configured 772s moving to SFO (for the most part) the likelihood of a 3-class out of ORD increases greatly.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:24 pm

Maybe it hurts towards earning GS, but if I'm not mistaken, UA doesn't really care if you book LH or NH. They all share the revenue if I'm not mistaken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.