Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by goodeats21

My flight for Wednesday just got updated to show a remodeled 777-200, so I am now kicked out of my GF seat 2K. I am just going to leave it alone and hope it switches back, even though I was moved to 2L, which is the less private Window seat....
Well, the gamble paid off. Seat map back to the 3-cabin 777, and I was moved back to 2K automatically.

Happy for a last ride in the old Global First seats....
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Well, the gamble paid off. Seat map back to the 3-cabin 777, and I was moved back to 2K automatically.

Happy for a last ride in the old Global First seats....
Yes, it's better to resist the temptation of grabbing a nicer seat than 2L when UA does the swaps.

I was hoping for a last ride in the old Global First but this morning I woke up to see that our flight today got swapped and my 2K became 2L. I might be able to switch seats with my wife that now has 1L..........

Editing after my inbound flight FRA-ORD and I can happily report that my wife and I had a last ride in the old Global First seats. I was in 2K, my wife in 1K. It was two months of worrying and we did worry up to the last minute. We worried so much that we did not dare do the online check-in for our LH flight getting us to FRA. Then when my wife got to the gate and asked for an United boarding pass to replace the one generated by Swiss (I was delayed due to having the SSSS), the agent told her that they had been paging her. She immediately thought that it was to switch her seat but it was only to input her passport number. Then when the Purser came to ask for my meal choice before the door closed, she called me by a different last name. Luckily nobody showed up with a boarding pass for 2K and I did have in my hand my United generated boarding pass with 2K.

We do have another international long haul trip next month on the 3-class 772. But, since it was booked after United decided that 1Ks cannot anymore reserve those seats prior to check-in, I don't care if we don't get to sit there. The positive is that we will not have to worry for a full month. It's not good for the health. For this trip, I did care because I don't like when they take something that I had.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Apr 5, 2019 at 8:06 am Reason: Editing to add return flight
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
Agreed; that said, on the flights I've taken since November, the mattress pad was already at the old first class seats; it was in the storage area next to the seat.
On our FRA-ORD flight this week, the mattress pad was not in the storage area next to the seat. It had to be requested and the FA opened every bin before she found them.

Yesterday, I was a bit jet-lagged and just edited my old post (since nobody had posted in between) to share the good news that my wife and I managed to keep our seats in the former First Class area. The Purser and the FA working our area were great!
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Just another data point. My NRT-HNL a few weeks ago stayed on the 3-class config the entire time. I had no trouble switching to the old F cabin at T-24h with no status, and was surprised to see over half the cabin remain available until the last 2-3 hours before departure. I even saw one non-rev cleared into one of those seats pretty well ahead of departure, instead of moving a revenue passenger. I'm guessing the other pax were moved from business -- heard two of them (w/ 1K status) seem surprised to be moved.

Nice seat and glad I could try it out once.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Another data point: was on ORD-NRT last week and was able to switch from 6A to 2A at T-24h.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Amex Plat, IHG PA, and on
Hello all
I have no idea where to pose/post this question. Does anyone know if United is still flyover international configurations that includes the old “first class” section? I’d like an opportunity to fly in/on one before they are gone forever. If you do know, could you let me know which route(s) so I can locate. Many thanks
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iwannabesedated
...Does anyone know if United is still flyover international configurations that includes the old “first class” section? .
About a third of the 3-class 772 (10 aircraft) are still operating. There will probably be gone by early Fall.

And there is no guarantee if you book it, it will be the aircraft used. Last minute swaps are very common

ORD-NRT, ORD/EWR-LHR are some routes to investigate --- they are likely others
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by iwannabesedated
Hello all
I have no idea where to pose/post this question. Does anyone know if United is still flyover international configurations that includes the old “first class” section? I’d like an opportunity to fly in/on one before they are gone forever. If you do know, could you let me know which route(s) so I can locate. Many thanks
Yes. According to the UA Fleet Website, there are still 10 frames flying with IPTE 3-class, the other 23 are either converted or in conversion.

It's impossible to say in advance which flights will have them. It's about 60 hours in advance that the UA Website posts the new Polaris 2-class map, if that configuration is anticipated. But last-minute changes can and do occur, especially at hubs where it's easy to sub. At out-stations it's less likely.

Note that currently, only GS can reserve the (former) F seats in advance; other premiers can do so within 24 hours or at the gate if still available. It appears UA gives preference to 1Ks, but lower status pax have reported success.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
About a third of the 3-class 772 (10 aircraft) are still operating. There will probably be gone by early Fall.

And there is no guarantee if you book it, it will be the aircraft used. Last minute swaps are very common

ORD-NRT, ORD/EWR-LHR are some routes to investigate --- they are likely others
it was ord-pvg but got swapped to a new polaris two weeks ago.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:00 am

Booked FRA-IAD in January, and selected 2A, 2C as a 1K member.

Of course, about 48 hours out, reassigned to 6D, 6G - but the plan is still the old 777/200 plane with Global first. 1H and 1K are open on the seat map, but not selectable yet. Fingers crossed for T-24
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adams828

Of course, about 48 hours out, reassigned to 6D, 6G - but the plan is still the old 777/200 plane with Global first. 1H and 1K are open on the seat map, but not selectable yet. Fingers crossed for T-24
My wife and I managed to keep our seats 1K and 2K two weeks ago. There was no interim reassignment. But Polaris Business had many empty seats. Maybe there were not too many GS so UA did not need our seats. In the other direction we got swapped to the Polarized version which was a good outcome as at least 15 passengers boarded the plane when GS were called.

Good Luck!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:18 am

welp, got screwed on this one. Our first leg was booked via United (BCN-FRA) but operates by Lufthansa. So now I can’t even access the seat map at T-24 for the United FRA-IAD flight. United just keeps giving me errors or sending me to Lufthansa.com.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB

welp, got screwed on this one. Our first leg was booked via United (BCN-FRA) but operates by Lufthansa. So now I can’t even access the seat map at T-24 for the United FRA-IAD flight. United just keeps giving me errors or sending me to Lufthansa.com.
CALL!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by wxguy
CALL!
Trying, first agent said nothing is available in row 1 or 2 (even though I can see them on the seat map). Tried HUCA. Second agent said the same thing.. offered web support team. Asked for at least the aisle/middle (instead of D/G middle) and that took 10 minutes... ugh.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone know what seat 1K on the old config would convert to if the equip gets upgauged to the new Polaris config?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.