Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by itsMoe
Twice now I've been able to book an intl' F seat as J on a 3-class 772 using a GPU from a Q fare. Am 1k, could select seat as soon as the upgrade went through.
Have you been able to do it since they 'enhanced' your access to those seats earlier this week?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Twice now I've been able to book an intl' F seat as J on a 3-class 772 using a GPU from a Q fare. Am 1k, could select seat as soon as the upgrade went through.
How recently? Up until just recently, that was everyone's experience. Recent change is only Global Services can select First class seats in advance..
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Shouldn't it be that it will only be filled by paying J customers. The only exception would be if there are less than 7 J customers (paying and upgraded) in the plane. Counting one for the captain. If not, same reasoning but going to less than 8 J customers.
I fail to see why someone without status paying $3,000 one way for a J fare should be prioritized above a 1K - who gave UA a minimum of $15,000 of business in the prior year (many times far more) - applying a GPU instrument.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:06 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by onthesam
Have you been able to do it since they 'enhanced' your access to those seats earlier this week?
The first time this happened was last November. The second time was about a week ago.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The first time this happened was last November. The second time was about a week ago.
Well unless you’re a GS you’re in the same boat as the rest of us. Why not look at your reservations to see if the other GF seats ae grayed out.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
I fail to see why someone without status paying $3,000 one way for a J fare should be prioritized above a 1K - who gave UA a minimum of $15,000 of business in the prior year (many times far more) - applying a GPU instrument.
You failed to understand my comment. I was saying that passengers who paid or are upgraded should have priority over the non-revs. For me, paying J directly or upgrading to J is a paying J passenger. The non-revs are not paying J passengers. The non-revs should only get a seat in the former First Class section if there are on that flight less than 7 paid and upgraded passengers. It does not happen very often so....

But, you are right, access to those seats should be by status. However, there are some of us who managed to get those seats when they were still bookable by 1Ks. If we lose them now, then we might not get them back and we might see lower status passengers on those seats which will be adding insult to injury.
chavala likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:54 am

You failed to understand my comment. I was saying that passengers who paid or are upgraded should have priority over the non-revs. For me, paying J directly or upgrading to J is a paying J passenger. The non-revs are not paying J passengers. The non-revs should only get a seat in the former First Class section if there are on that flight less than 7 paid and upgraded passengers. It does not happen very often so....

But, you are right, access to those seats should be by status. However, there are some of us who managed to get those seats when they were still bookable by 1Ks. If we lose them now, then we might not get them back and we might see lower status passengers on those seats which will be adding insult to injury.
Apologies for the misunderstanding. I’m on the same page with you, StuckinITH. Now, if UA would fix all its IT issues with this type of dedication...
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
I heard that at check-in, the seat map opens to everyone confirmed in business class, regardless of status.
This was not true last week -- the GF seats got assigned to CPUs on an ORD-SFO.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
You failed to understand my comment. I was saying that passengers who paid or are upgraded should have priority over the non-revs. ....
And what evidence do you have this is occurring today?

It is a single cabin with a waitlist. the standard policy for a cabin with a waitlist is all revenue customers are ahead of NRSAs -- I fail to see the concern. This is not the days of the 3-class situation with two separate waitlists, that is history. There is only a single cabin, a single waitlist. Unless someone has evidence otherwise.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And what evidence do you have this is occurring today?

It is a single cabin with a waitlist. the standard policy for a cabin with a waitlist is all revenue customers are ahead of NRSAs -- I fail to see the concern. This is not the days of the 3-class situation with two separate waitlists, that is history. There is only a single cabin, a single waitlist. Unless someone has evidence otherwise.
The problem is that now we are responding to different comments from different people which makes the whole thing a mess. I might have misunderstood jsloan's comment as it was not specified that there should be less than 7 passengers total in Business Class (paid + upgraded) for a non-rev to get a former First Class seat. I tried to specify that fact. (or less than 8 if one is not blocked for the captain).
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:18 pm

I see all the comments saying ''I understand why United did this... gotta look out for GS."

​If they hadn't extended the benefit to 1K in the first place, maybe there's an argument to limit the benefit to GS.

That they extended it in the first place, and are now eliminating it so that someone's MM GS companion, or a designated corporate employee who's been gifted status, or any other GS for that matter who gets a battlefield Y-J upgrade gets the seats instead of a 1K in paid J (who may have well in excess of $12k spend, perhaps mid $30k+ spend) is low class of UA.

Only saving grace is the conversion will eventually be complete though then there will be no 1-2-1 for anyone (unless you choose to believe Polaris is true 1-2-1).

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B

What about 1K in paid J vs GS on a GPU applied to an award...?
FlytheTail and chavala like this.

Last edited by onthesam; Feb 9, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I got to use this benefit at the end of last year, and now it has changed. I am a lowly 1K. I get it GS is worth more.

I do not like it then I have a choice. Walk, run to another airline or be happy I am in a lie flat on a red eye, albeit I need to crawl over or be crawled over by someone. First world problems people.

Should United give it one hand and take it with another? Probably not the brightest idea for generating customer loyalty from 1K folks, but great for GS folks who arguably they want to reward more than the 1K folks and I am guessing enough GS folks complained that resulted in the change of policy by United. You want the extra star treatment spend like a GS.
uanj likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am a lowly 1K. I get it GS is worth more.
This statement says it all and illustrates well the cumulative effect of UA's enhancements to 1K benefits and customer service blunders over the years. A lowly, worth less, 1K customer.

Last edited by onthesam; Feb 10, 2019 at 7:11 am
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
So many act like 1Ks will nevr have access to those seats. The way I read the announcement, it's just that 1Ks can't pre-reserve them. They can still swap into them when the seats release at the gate. What's so hard to understand about a business wanting to take care of people driving hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars in revenue before they take car of people driving thousands or tends of thousands of dollars in revenue?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
So many act like 1Ks will nevr have access to those seats. The way I read the announcement, it's just that 1Ks can't pre-reserve them. They can still swap into them when the seats release at the gate. What's so hard to understand about a business wanting to take care of people driving hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars in revenue before they take car of people driving thousands or tends of thousands of dollars in revenue?
The only 'announcement' has been that the seats are no longer selectable by 1Ks. Where are you getting this info that 1Ks can 'swap' to them when the seats release at the gate?

Even if that was correct, hypothetically you have 6 GS and 10 1Ks ORD-FRA. Who gets the seats? The 2 1Ks who are standing at the gate agent desk in lieu of waiting at the Polaris lounge or being on their way to the airport? Hogwash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.