FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1936905-3-class-f-seat-now-sold-domestic-f-polaris-bus-gs-j-c-d-1k-may-select-pre-olci.html)

villox Oct 20, 2018 5:45 am

Originally Posted by VWang1111 (Post 30335760)

I can select seats up front but can't save the seat assignment for an existing booking. I'm pretty sure this is intentional.

Did you try the web?

narvik Oct 20, 2018 5:47 am

Originally Posted by villox (Post 30335747)
I’m able to select seats in former GF during booking. No extra charge and that’s even for a non-status passenger.

Same. Looks like the change-seat-selection stuck for an upcoming reservation. We will see.

StuckinITH Oct 20, 2018 5:50 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 30335301)
On the app, the F seats on my TPAC 772 flights have been replaced with orange squares that look like domestic F seats. On the web, they've just changed the red seats to orange -- same angled image and everything. I was able to select one at no charge, and it shows up as such on the web and the phone. No idea if it will stick. I'm 1K, so maybe it's done by status.

Now I don't know what to do. If I switch my seat to a First Class seat and it does not stick, then I'll lose my preferred seat which is 6J with my wife in 6H. And that seat 6J is not going to stay empty for long. And the risk of ending up in a middle seat. As Voltaire said: "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien" (The best is the enemy of the good). Decisions, decisions.....

villox Oct 20, 2018 5:53 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH (Post 30335776)
Now I don't know what to do. If I switch my seat to a First Class seat and it does not stick, then I'll lose my preferred seat which is 6J with my wife in 6H. And that seat 6J is not going to stay empty for long. And the risk of ending up in a middle seat. As Voltaire said: "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien" (The best is the enemy of the good). Decisions, decisions.....

My thought process is as follows:
- the upside (that it sticks) is very high
- the flights I have this on are 2+ months out with plenty of non middles still available
- if they kick us out it will likely be in the next couple of days
- absolute worst case of a middle seat is still not the end of the world. I’ve done it before.

So I’m ok to take the risk.

narvik Oct 20, 2018 6:07 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH (Post 30335776)

My dilemma also.
I had seat 6A for both segments, and only chose this route (with the pmUA 3-class) BECAUSE I saw 6A empty.
Now I changed to first class cabin. I'll be pretty annoyed if this doesn't stick!
But I guess that's the risk of this 'game'.
:)

prometa Oct 20, 2018 6:14 am

Originally Posted by villox (Post 30335779)

- the flights I have this on are 2+ months out with plenty of non middles still available
- absolute worst case of a middle seat is still not the end of the world. I’ve done it before.

Perhaps also worth noting that, for the one domestic 3-class 772 leg I checked, new buyers can select seats in rows 1-2 or 6-10 at purchase, so it's not limited to existing tickets.

StuckinITH Oct 20, 2018 6:39 am

Originally Posted by villox (Post 30335779)

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 30335800)
My dilemma also.
I had seat 6A for both segments, and only chose this route (with the pmUA 3-class) BECAUSE I saw 6A empty.
Now I changed to first class cabin. I'll be pretty annoyed if this doesn't stick!
But I guess that's the risk of this 'game'.
:)

You convinced me. We first switched my wife's seat as 6H was the less good of the two seats and she got 2K. We thought for five minutes to keep my seat 6J but then that empty First Class map got too tempting so I got 1K.

It helped that, according to Cablepick, Business is only booked 16/48. And now two of those 16 are in the First Class area.

StuMcIlwain Oct 20, 2018 6:55 am

Just looked at an upcoming transatlantic reservation in P on a 3-class 777. I can change seats to the first class cabin, but they want an extra $599 for added comfort and privacy.

cfischer Oct 20, 2018 7:52 am

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain (Post 30335884)
Just looked at an upcoming transatlantic reservation in P on a 3-class 777. I can change seats to the first class cabin, but they want an extra $599 for added comfort and privacy.

so can we still apply GPUs then?

cfischer Oct 20, 2018 9:48 am

Originally Posted by villox (Post 30335747)
I’m able to select seats in former GF during booking. No extra charge and that’s even for a non-status passenger.

domestic or international?

wxguy Oct 20, 2018 9:52 am

I had three W/L for F on 3-cabin 777-200ER planes (two international segments and one domestic), with purchased business fares. Each reseated me in the in the F cabin during the transition last night. I called GS, and the friendly agent confirmed that all instruments (a GPU, a miles+$, and an RPU) were all redeposited and that the seats will stick, unless the planes are swapped to two-cabin Polaris.

Supima Oct 20, 2018 9:53 am

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 30336373)
domestic or international?

I have both in a reservation in a few weeks -- EWR - ORD 3 class 777, then ORD-NRT, 3 class 777 -- I am able to select seats in GF on both flights but they don't stay -- always goes back to my BF seats...

cyclogenesis Oct 20, 2018 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Supima (Post 30336388)
I have both in a reservation in a few weeks -- EWR - ORD 3 class 777, then ORD-NRT, 3 class 777 -- I am able to select seats in GF on both flights but they don't stay -- always goes back to my BF seats...

Ditto on LHR-ORD..
And I was in 1C originally before calling and asking help to move to 1K.. Don't call united if you find yourself moved up in my case I lost my seat back to 6c

villox Oct 20, 2018 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Supima (Post 30336388)

website or app?

Supima Oct 20, 2018 10:57 am

Originally Posted by villox (Post 30336471)

website or app?

Website