Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:11 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
una domanda: I am at ~220,000 PQM and ~$57,000 in spend right now. I would presume that is enough to requal GS for next year (technically I am out of Houston for my address at UA. I only have one more trip booked on UA right now which will get me to around 225 and 60k$ in spend.

Does UA look at a couple months period of no flying as bad? I would like to keep up my AA status to Exec Plat again or at least Plat Pro by flying them a bit more the last third of the year. Just curious if anyone thinks UA "frowns" on several months of inactivity even with int'l paid biz travel on UA.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
my travel is very episodic. I sometime go for three or more months without traveling. I continue to qualify over the last 5 years.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
So you spend a lot of money in fewer trips? Should be fine with UA.

I fly 5-6 trips a year with UA, often months apart.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:50 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
una domanda: I am at ~220,000 PQM and ~$57,000 in spend right now. I would presume that is enough to requal GS for next year (technically I am out of Houston for my address at UA. I only have one more trip booked on UA right now which will get me to around 225 and 60k$ in spend.

Does UA look at a couple months period of no flying as bad? I would like to keep up my AA status to Exec Plat again or at least Plat Pro by flying them a bit more the last third of the year. Just curious if anyone thinks UA "frowns" on several months of inactivity even with int'l paid biz travel on UA.
If the $60K is all on United metal youre likely okay. I dont think 🤔 not flying United for a few months impacts the decision. Its all about the spend on United during the year.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:24 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh

If the $60K is all on United metal youre likely okay. I dont think 🤔 not flying United for a few months impacts the decision. Its all about the spend on United during the year.
Hi thanks for posting. The majority right now is all on 016 ticket stock bought through United.com so even some LH flights/codeshares were on 016 stock and paid via United. All F/J/C type tickets.

Thanks again. I have some other trips popping up so I think I'll finish on UA minimum this year over 250 PQMs and 67-68k in UA spend and that is with me flying the rest on oneworld. If I went all in on UA I'd hit much more, but again, find the dual status helpful for those areas where UA/star has fewer options.

-FH
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Hi thanks for posting. The majority right now is all on 016 ticket stock bought through United.com so even some LH flights/codeshares were on 016 stock and paid via United. All F/J/C type tickets. ...
Just a caution, there seems a clear consensus non-UA operated flights, even if on 016 tickets, will not count toward GS qualification. Just PQDs of UA operated flights. No go for any LH operated flights.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Just a caution, there seems a clear consensus non-UA operated flights, even if on 016 tickets, will not count toward GS qualification. Just PQDs of UA operated flights. No go for any LH operated flights.
I am fully supportive this cautionary statement. Over the past several years, we have read posts in the annual qualification threads that a number of people did not make it for assuming all purchases via United on 016 stock would count towards GS. That is not true based on what have been reported. It is important to focus on flying on UA metals. There may be isolated exceptions, but the general consensus is that only PQD spent on United operates flights.

Thanks to the moderator for making this cautionary statement.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Unhappy

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is what continually makes me not qualify I suspect. Last year $52K PQD with about $28K on UA metal due to frequent trips to Africa and Central Asia. This year should end in the low $60K PQD (all Z/D/C/J fares) with closer to $40K on UA...I suspect I still won't get it.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
This is what continually makes me not qualify I suspect. Last year $52K PQD with about $28K on UA metal due to frequent trips to Africa and Central Asia. This year should end in the low $60K PQD (all Z/D/C/J fares) with closer to $40K on UA...I suspect I still won't get it.
I never qualified for GS with less than $50K base fare on UA metal. Had one year with partner airlines with similar stats to you, and didn't get invited. If at all possible, see if you can do some additional UA metal as that may push you over, but as you mentioned, your routes may only be serviced by *A metal (LH / Brussels / Swiss / TK / Ethiopian)...........

Just a thought that 1K will have slightly more exclusivity next year with the increased PQD requirement, and since I am in no proximity of getting a GS requal next year... I'm not totally disappointed to go back to 1K.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I never qualified for GS with less than $50K base fare on UA metal. Had one year with partner airlines with similar stats to you, and didn't get invited. If at all possible, see if you can do some additional UA metal as that may push you over, but as you mentioned, your routes may only be serviced by *A metal (LH / Brussels / Swiss / TK / Ethiopian)...........

Just a thought that 1K will have slightly more exclusivity next year with the increased PQD requirement, and since I am in no proximity of getting a GS requal next year... I'm not totally disappointed to go back to 1K.
I'll come in at $46K UAL metal and $59K total for 016 stock this year. DEN based. All domestic tickets (50% of total $) have been D/C/Z and the very occasional P. All International has been Z fare. I've been 1K for 12 years and the last five years has all been domestic D/C/Z/P fares usually reaching $32-35K. It sound like my $46K may not be enough to get me there.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by limey1K
I'll come in at $46K UAL metal and $59K total for 016 stock this year. DEN based. All domestic tickets (50% of total $) have been D/C/Z and the very occasional P. All International has been Z fare. I've been 1K for 12 years and the last five years has all been domestic D/C/Z/P fares usually reaching $32-35K. It sound like my $46K may not be enough to get me there.
I got it with slightly less than $46K (all UA metal) for this year on the very last day they granted the status (Jan 30) out of SFO. I think I was thrown a bone after years of similar spend rates , long time 1K status, and actually a slight slump in my spend they threw GS at me (JMHO). It back fired a bit on them (UA) as I purchase numerous RT tickets (F) with AS in early Jan for known business travel over the next 6 to 9 months and have been quite happy. So I figure GS will be a one and done thing for me. I may get it next year threw my wife who has had a lot of business travel this year and will have a spend just over $45K, we are both MMers with UA.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
There have been a lot of data points suggesting that cumulative spend with UA impacts GS decisions, with a line of 100-110k of UA metal PQD over the trailing three years as a possible baseline.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by findark
There have been a lot of data points suggesting that cumulative spend with UA impacts GS decisions, with a line of 100-110k of UA metal PQD over the trailing three years as a possible baseline.
Given what I experienced I would have to agree. My three year spend was probably just greater than $120K. As you may remember I didn't for minute think I was getting the GS invite then was blown away by the last minute invite.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:36 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
This is the only way I can justify my qualification years versus my miss years. I am sure that a huge single year also counts (that it's not just one "rule") but when I'm comfortably over the trailing year $100K threshold I make it and when I'm not I don't. This also makes sense in the context of UA trying to smooth customer spend trends. Someone who spends 60/35/45 is probably a "better" customer than someone who spends 50/0/50, just to use an extreme example.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, the most extreme supporting data I've seen are people with (notional, demonstrative numbers) 5/10/48 being denied while people with 55/45/38 get renewed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.