Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions

Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
For posing formal notifications (but no discussion), use this thread Global Services 2019 Notifications (ONLY)
2019 GS Timeline
First requal notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2018
For 2017 qualifications, see the 2017 thread and for 2018, see the 2018 thread

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.

rwsteelers had a good method for determining UA BIS -- the change in Lifetime Miles from the first of the year.

Originally Posted by sgopal2
Hello:

To help with collection of qualification metrics for global services, I created a Google Doc. This will be useful for future members. For ease of use, I created a form which feeds into a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet and form does not require a google account and is free to use.

Similar spreadsheets were created in years past, so I'm hoping to continue this tradition. Please take the time to enter your stats into the spreadsheet. Many thanks

LINK to entry form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SYm...xRKZ_EUD8/edit

View responses here ( read only ):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions

Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
No, lowest I’ve seen is in the high $30k’s, usually on renewal.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought someone said that GS must have paid international business class trips?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DougieDugDug
Very curious about this. I've been 1K annualy for almost 10 years. I book 100% of domestic (US) flights just straight First. I book all international couch with my upgrades and fly Polaris. I've reached 145,000 miles a year minimum for ten years, but my spend is way low, like $15 - $20 K total. Anyone ever hit GS with that kind of spend?
No, that is far, far below what is been reported. A couple of years of $40K+ might work. Also once you have qualified, you might be able to requalify with a weaker year

Starting next year $15K is the minimum level for 1K.

Originally Posted by username
I thought someone said that GS must have paid international business class trips?
No, domestic GS exist but probably "easier" with high-value international tickets.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:07 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No, domestic GS exist but probably "easier" with high-value international tickets.
Agreed. I book all front-of-the-bus tickets (and fly 130-150 segments a year, with almost zero connections) and I always end up in the $40-45K range for spend. Super hard to get upside to that figure outside of my handful of LAX/SFO<>EWR trips being super expensive for some reason (business on that route can be anything from $900 O/W to $3K O/W). I can't really fly more frequency wise (already basically travel weekly). If I had 1-2 international trips in business I know GS would be much easier. Just not that much range in the cost of my domestic travel/booking pattern.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by LIH
Agreed. I book all front-of-the-bus tickets (and fly 130-150 segments a year, with almost zero connections) and I always end up in the $40-45K range for spend. Super hard to get upside to that figure outside of my handful of LAX/SFO<>EWR trips being super expensive for some reason (business on that route can be anything from $900 O/W to $3K O/W). I can't really fly more frequency wise (already basically travel weekly). If I had 1-2 international trips in business I know GS would be much easier. Just not that much range in the cost of my domestic travel/booking pattern.
Yeah that's the tough way to get to GS for sure, every year their are those that do it all on domestic runs. I had a business partner years back who "commuted" from LAX to SFO and back almost daily and even she didn't get GS. Very tough way to do it indeed.....
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: UAL 1K, Sixt Plat, BA, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Does anyone know what station I qualify as, living in Barcelona? I assume that BCN doesn't qualify as a station (otherwise I'd probably be close to the top of the tree and I'm no GS).
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mattthenomad
Does anyone know what station I qualify as, living in Barcelona? I assume that BCN doesn't qualify as a station (otherwise I'd probably be close to the top of the tree and I'm no GS).
There has never been a clear consensus a "station quota" exists, there may be a higher threshold (or not) for places like SFO just to avoid overcommitting resources. But I would except a BCN GS to have pretty much the same requirements as any European GS qualifier.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: united mileage plus
Chances for GS from EWR

Guys..what do feel about chances for Global Services.. Started travel from 2015 and below are the stats... I think very minimal based on what I have read.. base location is EWR and spend mostly on international business travel..Also do you guys feel that having a Chase mileagePlus Card would make a difference?
Year----PQM------- PQD
2015---112,925-----$23,789
2016---81,605------$17,077
2017---175,445-----$39,840
2019---182,823-----$43,180
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
It is possible to qualify with your stats - I had many years in the range of 20-35 K and my first GS qualification happened after spending only 38K. It was a good decision by UA because I started to book more frequently on UA and my annual spend has been north of 50K for the last four years. Normally I would have spread my travel around to other airlines but with GS I have been able to take advantage of the ability to open saver awards for traveling companions. The other GS perks have not been of much use. I think I have used only two certs for upgrades over the last few years
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Final numbers are finally finally in for the year, and I landed at:

$52,600 PQD
143,000 BIS

2017: $26K PQD
2016: $49K PQD
2015: $68K PQD

Now MCO based, but was DEN based 75% of the year.

Hoping I get the bump back up to GS for 2019 (+ my Mrs. too since I will be 1MM in Jan!!!!)

Good luck in the game, everyone!!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Final numbers are finally finally in for the year, and I landed at:

$52,600 PQD
143,000 BIS

2017: $26K PQD
2016: $49K PQD
2015: $68K PQD

Now MCO based, but was DEN based 75% of the year.

Hoping I get the bump back up to GS for 2019 (+ my Mrs. too since I will be 1MM in Jan!!!!)

Good luck in the game, everyone!!
Good luck, the real perk will be the transfer the perk to the Mrs. with the MM in Jan!!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:59 am
gid

Programs: MileagePlus
In years past, I've always booked whatever fare was displayed through the simple search. PQD for 2018 will be just under 34k with 130k PQM. Have never put much thought into searching for different fare classes. However, haven missed any shot at GS, I am considering to start booking my domestic travel under "B," By doing so, I think I can get my 2019 PQD up to 45k-ish and increase chances for GS in 2020.

What domestic fare codes should I search for?

Does the discounted domestic business class carry the same weight as a full fare economy class?

For international travel, which is about 40% of my PQM, I book the cheapest business class seat I can find. Should I be booking a different fare class?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: UA GS
If you are just trying to bump your spend to achieve status with either your money or your employer's money, book a couple of close in fully refundable F fares on transcon travel and you'll be there. You need to be the one to decide if you want to spend your own money that way, or if you have an ethical dilemma of passing on these costs to your employer.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Dec 28, 2018 at 10:57 am
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
If you are just trying to bump your spend to achieve status with either your money or your employer's money, book a couple of close in fully refundable F fares on transcon travel and you'll be there. You need to be the one to decide if you want to spend your own money that way, or if you have an ethical dilemma of passing on these costs to your employer.
Nephew is doing a "dollar run" today, SFO-IAD to improve his chance for GS as he is close to the "required" spend amount. He does have family in DC and is paying for this run out of his pocket NOT his employer for sure, that for most people would be a big no-no... As I am self employed in theory I could do a run to "bump" my spend and run it as an corporate expense but have never found the need to do it even with that elusive GS carrot hanging out there.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: UA GS / 1MM, MR Ambassador / LTTE, Hertz Platinum
closed out the year with $51,570 PQD, 253,390 PQM and 184,441 BIS miles.

Still havent heard on requal for 2019 MyStatus says to wait until Jan 11. I am out of EWR. I figured over $50k would do it on a requal, is EWR just that competitive?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.