Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions

Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
For posing formal notifications (but no discussion), use this thread Global Services 2019 Notifications (ONLY)
2019 GS Timeline
First requal notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2018
For 2017 qualifications, see the 2017 thread and for 2018, see the 2018 thread

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.

rwsteelers had a good method for determining UA BIS -- the change in Lifetime Miles from the first of the year.

Originally Posted by sgopal2
Hello:

To help with collection of qualification metrics for global services, I created a Google Doc. This will be useful for future members. For ease of use, I created a form which feeds into a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet and form does not require a google account and is free to use.

Similar spreadsheets were created in years past, so I'm hoping to continue this tradition. Please take the time to enter your stats into the spreadsheet. Many thanks

LINK to entry form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SYm...xRKZ_EUD8/edit

View responses here ( read only ):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions

Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:06 pm

Made GS 1st time in 2018. SFO home base. Current numbers
- PQD - 58K ( 53K in united metal)
- 203K PQM
- 28.5 PQS

One more trip coming - around 9K in united metal, 40 PQM.
Chances to re-qualify?
Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:20 am

December 8th will be here soon and most likely many of us will be refreshing the United site in hopes to see 2019 requalification at my end I will end the year around 1.1 Million PQM and 700 PQS and my PQD will be over 200k I hope they don’t skip me.
jjmoore, MostlyUA and TexasAggie02 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:40 am

Hmmm. You must not be aware of the “over 100k” rule for PQD. For every dollar over $100k you spend on United, they actually deduct $1 from your annual PQD. So it looks like you’ll end up at about zero PQD. Bummer.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:28 am

Ok got a good picture at the end of my year now-- ended up losing a TPAC due to a last minute change.

Didn't qualify for GS before. 1k the last few years.

This year I'll end at roughly:

270k PQM
$52k PQD
56.5 PQS

Last year my spend was about $38k the year before was about 25k

based out of EWR

chances?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by GSunitedloyal
December 8th will be here soon and most likely many of us will be refreshing the United site in hopes to see 2019 requalification at my end I will end the year around 1.1 Million PQM and 700 PQS and my PQD will be over 200k I hope they dont skip me.
Spiking the Football??? 15 yard penalty for excessive celebration
wxguy and drewguy like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by villox
You forgot opening up companion award space on a paid premium ticket. This has been my favorite perk and actually causes me to spend more on United.
Same here. Keeps me loyal and is hugely valuable to me.
wxguy and jjmoore like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by GSunitedloyal
December 8th will be here soon and most likely many of us will be refreshing the United site in hopes to see 2019 requalification at my end I will end the year around 1.1 Million PQM and 700 PQS and my PQD will be over 200k I hope they dont skip me.
Vegas odds are 1.0000000001:1 that you won't be skipped.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Vegas odds are 1.0000000001:1 that you won't be skipped.
I feel fairly confident but as long as i am not a 4M LT is You cant help it but to wonder you know!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Not to mention, next flight guarantee is a HUGE perk (even though GS didn't honor it during two situations involving blizzards, as they refused to put me onto flights that were already oversold by 5+ people). This is the one I miss most this year being a 1K, and have suffered lengthy delays on several occasions as a result. There are some things you get with GS that you simply cannot purchase with a J seat.

1) Benz rides across the tarmac
2) Converting T space into XN
3) Using RPU/GPU on award tickets
4) The aforementioned next flight guarantee
5) Global reception - walk to front of TSA Pre line

These perks are what make GS untouchable.
All the same goodies for your Million Miler companion is especially HUGE if they travel, but not as much as you do. My wife is already eagerly awaiting my next flight (which puts me over 1mm) so she can be raptured to GS.
LIH likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by LordHamster
All the same goodies for your Million Miler companion is especially HUGE if they travel, but not as much as you do. My wife is already eagerly awaiting my next flight (which puts me over 1mm) so she can be raptured to GS.
I am 40,000 miles away from my 1MM ... should be able to pick up 20,000 of them in December, and am thinking about doing a quick turn SIN run from MCO to polish it off ... just want to find one of those $500 fares..... Then my wife will at least have my 1K status, and maybe GS if they give it back to me with a mere $51K PQD on UA metal.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
My overall spend with *A is well into GS range - but sadly, few flights on UA metal (though mostly on 016 ticket stock). I just can't justify 2-4-2 on those long haul flights compared to the competition.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:59 am

actual BIS should be right around 142k about 36.6 cents a mile....is that good?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:20 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jp12687
actual BIS should be right around 142k about 36.6 cents a mile....is that good?
Haven't seen many >$50K PQD (which your above math satisfies) people miss it historically. Were prior years' spends decent?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by LIH
Haven't seen many >$50K PQD (which your above math satisfies) people miss it historically. Were prior years' spends decent?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:25 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jp12687
I would bet you make it this year if that's all UA metal.

I asked because I have "missed" consistently on similar CPM yield but <$10-15K less spend. I think you're above the absolute level they must also look for.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.