Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
For posing formal notifications (but no discussion), use this thread Global Services 2019 Notifications (ONLY)
2019 GS Timeline
First requal notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2018
For 2017 qualifications, see the 2017 thread and for 2018, see the 2018 thread

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.

rwsteelers had a good method for determining UA BIS -- the change in Lifetime Miles from the first of the year.

Originally Posted by sgopal2
Hello:

To help with collection of qualification metrics for global services, I created a Google Doc. This will be useful for future members. For ease of use, I created a form which feeds into a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet and form does not require a google account and is free to use.

Similar spreadsheets were created in years past, so I'm hoping to continue this tradition. Please take the time to enter your stats into the spreadsheet. Many thanks

LINK to entry form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SYm...xRKZ_EUD8/edit

View responses here ( read only ):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA Global Services; Bonvoy Ambassador
Welcome Letter 1K

I just logged onto my "mystatus" page on United. A "Welcome to 1K" letter popped up. Of course, I was already 1k (having earned it during the year). Should I infer that United has decided that I do *not* qualify for Global Services?

Thanks!

Last edited by mc1263; Jan 8, 2019 at 10:59 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mc1263
I just logged onto my "mystatus" page on United. A "Welcome to 1K" letter popped up. Of course, I was already 1k (having earned it during the year). Should I infer that United has decided that I do *not* qualify for Global Services?

Thanks!
I would say it is safe to assume that and begin the appeal process. This is the same time that my denial came through last year after doing $51KPQD.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: UA Global Services; Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by AugustusM
I would say it is safe to assume that and begin the appeal process. This is the same time that my denial came through last year after doing $51KPQD.
AugustusM, Thanks

Can you please advise me how to launch an appeal? When I do "contact us" from the mystatus page, I get an email for 1Kservicecenter (or something similar).

Thanks!
M
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
AugustusM, Thanks

Can you please advise me how to launch an appeal? When I do "contact us" from the mystatus page, I get an email for 1Kservicecenter (or something similar).

Thanks!
M
Just email them and ask them to file an appeal for you. Give them your MP # in the body of that email.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 9, 2019 at 7:09 pm Reason: removed email
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC

Thanks!
I emailed 1K voice to ask about GS reconsideration and they replied that they should be finished with the initial review by January 11th
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I emailed 1K voice to ask about GS reconsideration and they replied that they should be finished with the initial review by January 11th
They accept requests for reconsideration after the 11th. I called on the 12th last year and was told it would take 10 days to complete their review (my status page reflected this request also). Upon completion of the review, you will either be invited, declined or offered a 'challenge' to spend x $'s within a 90 day window of your choice. Last year it was $15,000 PQD. I'm not sure if that was different in years past or if it will change this year.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by TavionT
They accept requests for reconsideration after the 11th. I called on the 12th last year and was told it would take 10 days to complete their review (my status page reflected this request also). Upon completion of the review, you will either be invited, declined or offered a 'challenge' to spend x $'s within a 90 day window of your choice. Last year it was $15,000 PQD. I'm not sure if that was different in years past or if it will change this year.
$15K is tough (unless you get lucky and get sent on some last minute TPAC booked in J during the time window). I made it to around $12K on the challenge last year, but couldn't get there in time to reclaim status.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jjmoore
$15K is tough (unless you get lucky and get sent on some last minute TPAC booked in J during the time window). I made it to around $12K on the challenge last year, but couldn't get there in time to reclaim status.
I happened to have 2 trips to SIN along with some domestic flights that got me across the finish line.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Aloomatar
Last year PQD was $32.2k and PQM was 203k.
I qualified for GS for the first time based on this.
What was your cumulative 2016-18 PQD?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:57 pm

Thanks!
Have been eagerly and anxiously awaiting what I hoped would be a first time invite, but based upon the discussion here and my 208,848 PQM, 52 PQS, and $47,834 PQD (85+% UA Metal), and the fact I'm SFO based, I knew I'd be on the fence. Alas, I logged into my account today and saw a new welcome letter for 1K, a status I've held for 7 months already.

Emailed and asked for an appeal. I'm hopeful that the fact that I already have 5 trips scheduled between now and March that total 106K PQM, 19 PQS, and $32K PQD (all UA metal) will work in my favor.
mc1263 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ZonaNorth
...my 208,848 PQM, 52 PQS, and $47,834 PQD (85+% UA Metal), ....
As only UA PQD is looked and if the PQD scales, $40K PQD is very low for a first-time qualifier with no prior history. You better bet is a challenge for 2019.
ZonaNorth likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fireguy17
Got my GS invite. Been flying UA for 2 years... All Y/B intl fares. Not one business class fare purchased. 2017 only 23k PQD... Suppose I’m lucky.

2018 Stats:
PQM: 220k
PQS: 92
PQD: 60k (48k UA Metal)

Congrats & Welcome to FT, Fireguy17!
Where are you based in ?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As only UA PQD is looked and if the PQD scales, $40K PQD is very low for a first-time qualifier with no prior history. You better bet is a challenge for 2019.
WineCountryUA:

Agree. There is one person listed on the spreadsheet who newly qualified with a spend of $32K. But this is the only outlier. For more details see the spreadsheet.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I will be losing my GS status this year, after a 4-year run - <$20k PDQ . What is the process of requesting a challenge? My travel will be back to the "normal" crazy this year,
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by sharmaintl
I will be losing my GS status this year, after a 4-year run - <$20k PDQ . What is the process of requesting a challenge? My travel will be back to the "normal" crazy this year,
Email them at the address on the back of your card.
sharmaintl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.