Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expedia "Your Flight Details Have Changed"

Expedia "Your Flight Details Have Changed"

Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Question Expedia "Your Flight Details Have Changed"

I booked tickets on 016 stock through Expedia, a few weeks ago, as I could not make the united.com booking engine show me the same combination of flights. Regretting not ordering from united.com directly already, but that is besides the point.

The flights ticketed fine. I have the ticket numbers, the receipt, and United charged my credit card.

Now, I am getting the "Your Flight Details Have Changed" email from Expedia, that claims United made changes to the itinerary. The email must be some kind of computer glitch, as the changes make no sense. Meanwhile, my original ticket and the itinerary show up correctly on the United website.

How do I make Expedia NOT touch my reservation?

The email says:

"It is important that we confirm your acceptance of this change as soon as possible.
Please review the option(s) indicated below, to automatically accept the new flights, please click the link:
Accept the changes"

Do I click the link, not click the link? I definitely do not want them to misunderstand me somehow and go around cancelling things.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I'd call them, and not accept a change you don't want.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
next time try using Google flights to punch out to United.com directly. This works almost always.

If there is no change ... then just accept it on Expedia.com. Could just be an equipment change or something like that.
Artpen100 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by narvik
I'd call them, and not accept a change you don't want.
Call whom, Expedia? They claim United made the change. If I tell them I do not want the change would not they simply cancel my tickets?

There was no change. United did not make the changes Expedia claims United did.
I am happy with the tickets the way they currently show up on united.com.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by TObject
Call whom, Expedia? They claim United made the change. If I tell them I do not want the change would not they simply cancel my tickets?

There was no change. United did not make the changes Expedia claims United did.
I am happy with the tickets the way they currently show up on united.com.
You will need to call Expedia, since they apparently are telling you something which you believe to be untrue, and you described the proposed changes as "make no sense".

And if Expedia is unhelpful and if Expedia tells you there is a change which you have to accept, you MIGHT be able to get a refund if you don't approve of those changes, and then you might be able to book with United directly, hoping of course, the price hasn't increased since.

In any event, you will need to call Expedia it seems.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

The changes are: re-ticketing from United flight numbers to Star Alliance partner flight numbers for USA DOMESTIC legs of an international itinerary. United would never do that to tickets it issued itself. This must be Expedia glitch.

What are my chances of explaining this to Expedia customer service, and not have them hit the wrong button on their computer?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:12 pm

The changes are: re-ticketing from United flight numbers to Star Alliance partner flight numbers for USA DOMESTIC legs of an international itinerary. United would never do that to tickets it issued itself. This must be Expedia glitch.

What are my chances of explaining this to Expedia customer service, and not have them hit the wrong button on their computer?
So, wait...the itinerary is unchanged, just the flight number changed on one or more domestic segment[s]?
Well, in THAT case, I'd be inclined to leave it as is. Since you still have a confirmed reservation on the same plane, what difference does the flight number make, especially if United isn't showing a change.

I was expecting something a little more, err... dramatic!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Yep. If my eloquence is lacking to explain the situation to flyertalk members, can you imagine trying me to explain this to outsourced customer support?

The problem with flight numbers is, if Expedia tries to re-ticket 016 stock on codeshare flight numbers they will ether fail or United will re-re-ticket those fights back again to its own flight numbers. Meanwhile I would be hit with the price difference and non-refundable ticket change charges.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:29 pm

Yep. If my eloquence is lacking to explain the situation to flyertalk members, can you imagine trying me to explain this to outsourced customer support?

The problem with flight numbers is, if Expedia tries to re-ticket 016 stock on codeshare flight numbers they will ether fail or United will re-re-ticket those fights back again to its own flight numbers. Meanwhile I would be hit with the price difference and non-refundable ticket change charges.
No, that was me not understanding it, sorry. I do get the problem....now.
The main issues are if you don't do anything, and don't accept the changes either:
1) Will Expedia cancel the ticket?
2) Will Expedia try to re-ticket anyway?
3) Nothing happens, and you can fly as intended

Almost seems like United doesn't like the flight segment combination, hence it not showing up initially on united.com.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

no, that will have zero consequence whatsoever. If you have an issued ticket you are safe; US DOT will protect you if necessary. Codeshares on 016 ticket stock work like native flight numbers; on *A it simply does not matter. I would accept the change, it is inconsequential.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
no, that will have zero consequence whatsoever. If you have an issued ticket you are safe; US DOT will protect you if necessary. Codeshares on 016 ticket stock work like native flight numbers; on *A it simply does not matter. I would accept the change, it is inconsequential.
Sure, but THERE IS NO CHANGE. The change is a glitch of the Expedia computer system. United.com shows no changes to the reservation.

Am I going to screw up my perfectly fine existing reservation by accepting a change that has not happened?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 23, 2018 at 11:56 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Am I going to screw up my perfectly fine existing reservation by accepting a change that has not happened?
Not sure you are going to find the answer you need in the UA forum, Expedia is not a common tool for many here
Would you prefer to move your query to Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies where you will find more Expedia users?

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
I have actually found Expedia telephone customer service to be pretty good. I would call them and ask what you need to do. Just reiterate that you want to remain on the same flights (which means airplane and not necessarily flight number), and you don't want to pay any more for the ticket. They should be able to tell you what you need to do. Good luck.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
When did you get these emails? What cabin are you booked in (economy or business)? Have you attempted to upgrade any of the flights?

Depending on the answer to those questions it's possible that it's related to the fare code changes that occurred over the weekend (Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018))
TObject likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
Did you waitlist for an upgrade by chance? We use Egencia at work which I believe is a corporate version of Expedia and when I waitlist for an upgrade Egencia gets confused and sends me updates that my ticket has changed, but it hasn't it's just that United has added some sort of phantom segment to hold the upgrade.
TObject likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.