Issue with PZ availability

Old Oct 22, 18, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Aeroplan, Skymiles, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Issue with PZ availability

I called and spoke with a 1K reservations agent this afternoon to ask about PZ (previously known as R) availability that seemed to have broadly disappeared over the weekend, coinciding with the change in fare buckets. I had been planning an upcoming trip and had noted 19 different routing/date pairs on trans-pacific flights that had R>0 last week (I spent wayyyyy too many hours finding these!), only to have every single one change to PZ0 after the change. She did confirm that she had just received a notice indicating that there was an issue with PZ availability, and that they were working on fixing it. She advised to give it about 48 hours for them to resolve it.

In the meantime, she was able to manually find some PZ>0 by searching for PZ space in their award system (she said it didn't show up in the revenue system) - so there is still some PZ space there, just not the same as what was showing last week. Of course I understand that PZ/R space can change quickly, but thought I'd mentioned this in case anyone else was wondering about this as well.

I initially mentioned this in the "Changes to Fare Classes... " thread, though a few people did respond indicating that they were able to find some PZ>0. So there is some PZ>0 available - just not the same as last week, and evidently not what United considers to be the correct space.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...l#post30337676
Old Oct 22, 18, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat, BA Gold
I was wondering the same thing, as I was monitoring a couple of RT TATL flights last week for 2019 that had R9 go to PZ0 over the weekend. I was not sure if it was normal R fluctuation or not. I noticed that the price to just purchase business class also jumped at the same time, and that something that happened last week - while searching for upgrade space, it would only show two columns, economy and economy cost with upgrade cost, not full business fare - has been reversed and gone back to all three columns.

I don't have to buy right away, so can wait a month or two to find out if this is all a temporary result of the programming change and will go back to normal, or UA has decided that Polaris is so great it can charge more than its competitors and reduce upgrade space.
Old Oct 22, 18, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I suggest giving some time. I was looking up AKL-SFO and it went from R9 (Thursday) to PZ0 (weekend) back to PZ9 (today).
Old Oct 22, 18, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Aeroplan, Skymiles, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hirohito888 View Post
I suggest giving some time. I was looking up AKL-SFO and it went from R9 (Thursday) to PZ0 (weekend) back to PZ9 (today).
This was one of the routings I had noted - Jan 4, 5 and 26 for SFO-AKL previously showed R>0 and Jan 18 for AKL-SFO - all went to PZ0 on the weekend. I just checked again and 3 of these 4 dates now show PZ>0, so it looks like they've changed things in the last 3 hours.
Old Oct 22, 18, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I've noticed some really strange things happening with R/PZ availability over the past week or so.

Flights would go from R0 to R9 overnight, and vice versa the next day. I haven't seen this level of inconsistency for a while. I'm noticing the same behavior with PZ on the same flights I was watching (SFO-HKG). It's PZ9, but tomorrow will likely be PZ0 again.
Old Oct 22, 18, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton View Post
Flights would go from R0 to R9 overnight, and vice versa the next day. I haven't seen this level of inconsistency for a while.
I see that kind of thing all the time. The algorithm UA uses to determine upgrade availability is very sensitive.
Old Oct 22, 18, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
None of this is new or different, IME.
Old Oct 22, 18, 3:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I see that kind of thing all the time. The algorithm UA uses to determine upgrade availability is very sensitive.
Same
Old Oct 22, 18, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
None of this is new or different, IME.
agreed. This kind of thing happened all the time when it was just R. So Iím skeptical that this is a bug vs. regular (though, to be fair, extreme) changes in upgrade availability.
Old Oct 22, 18, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
The algorithm UA uses to determine upgrade availability is very sensitive.
That is a very polite word to describe it.
sgfood, mikeyf, ermintrude and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 22, 18, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3 MM
Originally Posted by hirohito888 View Post
Hopefully it will come back but glad I booked AKL/SFO late Dec in R last week for other half, since the change over the weekend that same flight is PZ0
Old Oct 23, 18, 3:37 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
I just got an email from UA that my previously applied upgrade to the domestic portion of a flight had cleared so, at least in this case, PZ is clearly behaving in the way R used to behave.
Old Oct 23, 18, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'm a newly minted 1K and have just begun looking over the past 48 hrs for PZ space. I've found literally 0 availability, and since this is for a leisure trip in the spring I've searched a myriad of destinations in different parts of the world. I'll keep checking.....
Old Oct 23, 18, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gold23 View Post
I'm a newly minted 1K and have just begun looking over the past 48 hrs for PZ space. I've found literally 0 availability, and since this is for a leisure trip in the spring I've searched a myriad of destinations in different parts of the world. I'll keep checking.....
Make sure you're starting your search from a UA gateway -- it's often easier to clear the overwater flights in advance than it is the domestic connectors. Also, you may need some date/day-of-week flexibility as well. It's rare (but not completely impossible) to find weekend PZ space, especially in advance.
Old Oct 23, 18, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Make sure you're starting your search from a UA gateway -- it's often easier to clear the overwater flights in advance than it is the domestic connectors. Also, you may need some date/day-of-week flexibility as well. It's rare (but not completely impossible) to find weekend PZ space, especially in advance.
Thanks. I'm EWR based, so I've been looking from there. Completely flexible- I have the ability to go any time from March-May. My thought is to find flights, then work backwards on everything else. This may be my only year as 1K, so trying to at least take advantage of the GPUs!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: