Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs - preview 12 May, opening 18 May 2022?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2022, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Opening18 May 2022?

Print Wikipost

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs - preview 12 May, opening 18 May 2022?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by wxguy
So I just chatted with a GS agent at EWR who seemed to know his stuff. He said that UA has been ready to build the new C3 Club for a very long time, but the Port Authority has held things up. They had to wait for the retail leases at the end of C3 to terminate, as all of those places will close to make room for the new Club which will be on the second level, but the entrance and elevator/escalator room will take up space. The plan is to close the C3 pop-up at the end of November, and construction should take 12-18 months. During that time, the 92 pop-up Club will be open all day. In addition, all EWR Clubs will take one-day passes only in the morning.

I asked about the Polaris lounge for GS or MM exceptions, and he said it can't be done because of crowding during the afternoon/evening when it would be needed most -- and next summer will be worse than last summer as there will be seven more international flights in summer 2020 vs summer 2019. He said "it's going to be a zoo in the C1 Club."

At least there seems to be some progress.
Going to be? I has been a zoo for awhile, and it is going to be HELL!

Whatever they decide to build at C3, hope they factor in anticipates growth in the plan, otherwise it will continue to be a zoo regardless it is a new facility. 2022 sounds more realistic than 18 months from November.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA -GS 4.5 MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Diamond
EWR United Clubs

Has anyone heard anything about new United Clubs at EWR? We are down to one "real" United Club and a Polaris Lounge (but only for BC International flyers). The one United Club is always packed and far from some gates. United has one or two Pop-up Clubs. They say these are temporary, but they have now been in operation for YEARS. They are a poor excuse for an airline lounge even by US domestic standards. There are no restrooms, limited bar, limited food (no hot options), overcrowed, tight (constantly have people roll bags over my feet, same with food carts by staff) and the one in C3 has no sunshades, so most of the day it is hot and bright.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by feobrien
Has anyone heard anything about new United Clubs at EWR? We are down to one "real" United Club and a Polaris Lounge (but only for BC International flyers). The one United Club is always packed and far from some gates. United has one or two Pop-up Clubs. They say these are temporary, but they have now been in operation for YEARS. They are a poor excuse for an airline lounge even by US domestic standards. There are no restrooms, limited bar, limited food (no hot options), overcrowed, tight (constantly have people roll bags over my feet, same with food carts by staff) and the one in C3 has no sunshades, so most of the day it is hot and bright.
Here's the master thread. Much speculation is in my post #531.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
So, EWR will remain an unacceptably poor United Club situation for the next two years or so. Outstanding...
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
The current state of the UC in EWR does not reflect well on United but I can think of two reasons why it is taking so long:
Permission from the appropriate authorities (PANY, Municipal land use boards and Building department) may have been held up.
Terminal 1 (2022 full opening appears likely) planning is unsettled. If UA's presence here is unknown, they may not budget the fund's needed to make permanent UC facilities when they are negotiating gates.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Per the EWR briefing book on Terminal One (from 3Q18) there is space for :
Four airline club spaces are included that can be accessed directly by
passengers, post-security screening, prior to traveling down to the
concourse level.
While I think it is disrespectful of UA to go these 2 plus years without a replacement club in Terminal C, it is a bit of a problem knowing this is being built.
A more important question is whether Newark will have Terminal One, Terminal B and Terminal C or if they are going to change them.
As Emerson said " a petty consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"
Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by 8MiHi
Per the EWR briefing book on Terminal One (from 3Q18) there is space for :
Four airline club spaces are included that can be accessed directly by
passengers, post-security screening, prior to traveling down to the
concourse level.
While I think it is disrespectful of UA to go these 2 plus years without a replacement club in Terminal C, it is a bit of a problem knowing this is being built.
United will be occupying some of that space with a new UC in Terminal 1, replacing the UC in Terminal A. United will be the largest airline tenant in T1.

There will also be at least one new UC in Terminal C, some day... I have no idea why things are taking so long. The UC situation in Terminal C is terrible.
elitefreak and Xyzzy like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
United will be occupying some of that space with a new UC in Terminal 1, replacing the UC in Terminal A. United will be the largest airline tenant in T1.

There will also be at least one new UC in Terminal C, some day... I have no idea why things are taking so long. The UC situation in Terminal C is terrible.

Still kind of sad that the ONE nice UA lounge at EWR will be the one they eliminate. By the looks of it, Terminal One might be finished before a new UC at Terminal C ever gets built.
Terminal One progress is impressive (from just looking at it.). New UA lounge progress at Terminal C seems non-existent.

(A little birdie told me that my hunch that the PANYNJ is the main reason for the delay for a new lounge at Terminal C is indeed correct, and that if it were up to UA, there would have been a new lounge a LONG time ago already!)
EWR764 and 8MiHi like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
(A little birdie told me that my hunch that the PANYNJ is the main reason for the delay for a new lounge at Terminal C is indeed correct, and that if it were up to UA, there would have been a new lounge a LONG time ago already!)
Absolutely, positively, mind-blowing!! I've never heard of such nonsense!
wxguy and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by narvik
Still kind of sad that the ONE nice UA lounge at EWR will be the one they eliminate. By the looks of it, Terminal One might be finished before a new UC at Terminal C ever gets built.
Terminal One progress is impressive (from just looking at it.). New UA lounge progress at Terminal C seems non-existent.

Is there some shortage of burlap sacks for the, ah, donations?
Attached Images  
SS255 and narvik like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Is there some shortage of burlap sacks for the, ah, donations?
That, or not enough planes to schedule a twice-weekly flight to Columbia, SC (or its equivalent).
Xyzzy, SS255, EWR764 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
No, that is not a joke...there is a small bit that hit the news wire late yesterday that UA is investing $25mm in new bathrooms for Terminal C. While there is no doubt that the new bathrooms (e.g. the ones opposite the Polaris lounge entrance) are a huge improvement over the dreadful ones elsewhere in the terminal, it is already showing wear and tear. They also suffer from the same issue (not enough real estate), and honestly...I feel like they could get new permanent UCs open for a similar cost?

Either way, I found it somewhat amusing, as well as a sign of UA’s misguided (IMO) priorities about getting Terminal C in better shape.
It is an absolute disgrace that they knew, when converting the Polaris lounge, that they needed to replace this with another UC. Why aren't they fast-tracking this? The pop-up UC's are not the answer. And the overcrowded C74 club is a disgrace.
This is supposed to be a major key UA hub. Why treat it so poorly?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by elitefreak
Why treat it so poorly?
Two answers: PANYNJ and $641M (UA's Q4 net income).

I've now done two premium t-con RTs on AA and words simply cannot describe how much more pleasant it is to fly JFK T8 (including AA FL) compared to EWR Terminal C.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Kacee

I've now done two premium t-con RTs on AA and words simply cannot describe how much more pleasant it is to fly JFK T8 (including AA FL) compared to EWR Terminal C.
And managing to run 14 flights a day SFO-EWR with the lack of terminal amenities

Surprised at how far back AA/DL have dialed back the capacity and frequency on JFK-SFO post UA's departure

I think AA is now down to the frequency levels UA had in the last days of Kennedy

Wonder if UA will run the transcons out of the new terminal at EWR (that will be a treat for intl connections...)
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kacee

We even enjoyed the AC there much more than the UCs at EWR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.