Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Has upgrade list visibility changed? Not shown on flight upgrade waitlist after OLCI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has upgrade list visibility changed? Not shown on flight upgrade waitlist after OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:52 am
QBK
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec

I just checked in for a flight on Monday morning (so ~24 hours out). Cleared the upgrade on segment #1 at T-72, still waitlisted on #2 .

But I don't see myself -- or anybody, for that matter -- on the upgrade list for flight #2 . Says "no customers currently waiting to upgrade".

And, checking around to other flights tomorrow -- including some hub-to- hub flights that should have monster upgrade lists -- I don't see anything, except on a couple of 6am flights that have just one person on the list.

Has UA eliminated visibility of the CPU list? Or is this an accidental side effect of the fare code change from R-> PZ? I'm wondering if the list is programmed to show customers waitlisted for R and PN, but now only GS show up because R changed to PZ.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
There was a thread on this, not sure if it got merged into the megathread....

TLDR: any thing prior to 24 hrs doesn't get listed on the upgrade list. Upgrade lists only lists upgrades since OLCI becomes available for that particular flight.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:58 am

I heard that this was temporarily and is now fixed. You can uncheck in and check-in again to see yourself on the list. Can you report back?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:43 am
QBK
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
I heard that this was temporarily and is now fixed. You can uncheck in and check-in again to see yourself on the list. Can you report back?
Hmm, that's interesting. It's now within 24 hours for the 2nd segment, and I now see 2 names on the list... but not mine.

How can I uncheck and recheckin? Can I do it from the app, the website, or do I need to call customer service?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
If you are upgraded before check-in domestically on CPU-eligible flight, you no longer show up on the "upgraded" list. The only people that show are those upgraded after check-in has started. United appears to have made this change purposely and this aligns with the display on non-CPU flights. Checking in again doesn't have any effect. Not sure where you heard (or even have seen) it was "fixed". It certainly wasn't "fixed" yesterday.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 21, 2018 at 10:33 am
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:50 am
QBK
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If you are upgraded before check-in domestically on CPU-eligible flight, you no longer show up on the "upgraded" list. The only people that show are those upgraded after check-in has started. United appears to have made this change purposely and this aligns with the display on non-CPU flights. Checking in again doesn't have any effect. Not sure where you heard (or even have seen) it was "fixed". It certainly wasn't "fixed" yesterday.
*That* has been the case for a while, and I'm familiar with it. What's new and surprising to me is that I've checked in for a flight where I have *not* yet been upgraded, but I don't show up on the list. And I'm definitely eligible. So I can't tell whether I was left off, or am not showing up because I checked in more than 24 hours before (connecting flight, checked in at T-24 for my first leg), or what.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by QBK
*That* has been the case for a while, and I'm familiar with it. What's new and surprising to me is that I've checked in for a flight where I have *not* yet been upgraded, but I don't show up on the list. And I'm definitely eligible. So I can't tell whether I was left off, or am not showing up because I checked in more than 24 hours before (connecting flight, checked in at T-24 for my first leg), or what.
Ah...see that now. You should show on list. I doubt checking in fixes that. Upgrades still come off the "hidden" list before airport takes over, so you might call in to make sure you show up on that one, and then ask why you're not on visible list. I'm sure they'll make something up
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you are upgraded before check-in domestically on CPU-eligible flight, you no longer show up on the "upgraded" list.
This is not the problem the OP was reporting.

He is stating that he is NOT showing up on the upgrade waitlist (not cleared list) for a flight here we has NOT cleared. This is very different to not showing up for a segment that cleared before checkin which is the change that was made some time ago.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QBK
What's new and surprising to me is that I've checked in for a flight where I have *not* yet been upgraded, but I don't show up on the list. And I'm definitely eligible.
My guess is the same as yours -- they forgot to update the display logic to show customers waitlisted for PZ. I hope that it's only a display issue, but, of course, how could we tell?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat
United appears to have made this change purposely
Actually it is thought to be a glitch, not deliberate obfuscation. There was much debate over the pros/cons of such a system. Hopefully it will soon be fixed! Perhaps in "early 2019"
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Actually it is thought to be a glitch, not deliberate obfuscation. There was much debate over the pros/cons of such a system. Hopefully it will soon be fixed! Perhaps in "early 2019"
I remember that post, but I don't think it is a glitch. From my recollection, the post you linked is the ONLY one that showed evidence of someone at UA admitting it to be a glitch that they planned on fixing. It has gone on long enough that I think it was either deliberate, or they have come to like it the way it is and will not fix it.

Now as far as the OP's issue, I have no clue what the issue is, but it may have something to do with the recent fare class changes and the clean up associated with it.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:48 pm
QBK
Original Poster

Update: Although I didn't do anything (e.g. re-checkin), I now see a healthy-looking upgrade list *and* my name appears on it. Sadly, it's now booked 16/16, but that's par for the course these days.

I also checked some other flights that are ~23 hours out, and they're showing plausible upgrade lists (say, 22 customers for ORD-LAX). So I'm guessing there was a glitch before (possibly the R/PZ coding I conjectured) and now it's fixed.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA ExP
Name not showing on the upgrade list

I had an RPU applied on an M fare. I checked in for the flight but I dont see my name on the upgrade list. I called up the 1K desk and the agent said the system is going through a migration this weekend amd assured me that I am on the list...however I see 10people on the list( and I am still not one of them)! Anyone have any ideas on what may be going on?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by akhibhag
I had an RPU applied on an M fare. I checked in for the flight but I dont see my name on the upgrade list. I called up the 1K desk and the agent said the system is going through a migration this weekend amd assured me that I am on the list...however I see 10people on the list( and I am still not one of them)! Anyone have any ideas on what may be going on?
Is this a CPU-eligible route?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA ExP
Originally Posted by jsloan
Is this a CPU-eligible route?
Yes its a CPU eligible route. There are 20+names on the list now, mine is still missing however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.