Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA First lounges/GFL have closed now that GF/PF is gone -- what happens to the space?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Present use of past IFL/GLFs
  • SFO -- converted to UC
  • IAD -- converted to UC
  • LHR -- VIP / GS lounge
  • NRT -- VIP / GS lounge
  • HKG -- VIP / GS lounge
Reportedly (unpublished) GS at VIP/GS lounge can have one guest, two if UC member

related threads
Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Gutted over loss of GFL
Print Wikipost

UA First lounges/GFL have closed now that GF/PF is gone -- what happens to the space?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
Not true. Where are you seeing/hearing this?
It's true. Though I had heard 6/20 when I was told.

[Due to an elevated risk of a/c swaps, and] to avoid potential disservice to customers, sales of [F] seats are being phased out. Customers who are booked in [J] may be upgraded to [F] seats on remaining three-cabin aircraft if they use an upgrade instrument, but they won’t clear until day of departure.
Brackets are my words, everything else per employee notice sent a few months ago.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
I presume that UA will do the same thing here as it has done in other situations where it has subbed in an aircraft with F but had only marketed J/Y. That is, only J seats are sold. The F cabin is left empty unless the space is needed. If the F cabin seats are required, UA will assign those to GS and the like and sometimes to people who purchase last minute or otherwise get lucky. But, in any event, it is J service with a nicer seat.

I would be interested to hear the source for the closure of the IAD GFL, but would not be surprised as it simply creates branding problems since it's more than a UC and less than Polaris (at least in terms of bells and whistles).
was told to me by United staff at IAD. Unfortunately ,verified.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by qfrodo
I kind of wondered the same thing. International flights, unless precleared, have to deplane at the C gates, 1 thru 14, I believe, as that is where the sterile corridors are to get to Immigration and Customs. Even if the D gates can handle the wide bodies, I see a lot of plane movement or Polaris customers will enjoy a nice stroll to their gate. I have gone out of D-1 and D-3 on a widebody, but nothing beyond that whichI can recall.
As of now, the Polaris lounge will be built in an area down towards the other end of the terminal. The logistics are still unclear as far as what gates the international flights will be departing from. Again, sadly, the first class lounge closes at the end of this month and they have several months to figure out international gates.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by fezzington
It's true. Though I had heard 6/20 when I was told.

Brackets are my words, everything else per employee notice sent a few months ago.
Just for the record , when 3class cabins are indeed used without any pre-sale of 3 class, last minute upgrades are not based on status or priority waitlisted ,but purely ticket price regardless of status. All done by computer, so don’t shoot the messanger(gate agent)
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by ua1flyer

Just for the record , when 3class cabins are indeed used without any pre-sale of 3 class, last minute upgrades are not based on status or priority waitlisted ,but purely ticket price regardless of status. All done by computer, so don’t shoot the messanger(gate agent)
Yeah, sorry, that memo is a already bit confusing, and I did a hack job on it to boot.

From my understanding of the memo, going forward, no F is sold. If a three class bird is actually used and anyone has an instrument upgrade pending, they will clear day of. If there are open seats, and business is oversold, an automated process starts ~150 minutes before departure. I assume that's the ticket price sorting that you're referring to.

And, since I'm on the topic, business being allowed to be oversold ahead of time (except IRROPs) is a temporary measure, as that usually is not allowed.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist

As of now, the Polaris lounge will be built in an area down towards the other end of the terminal. The logistics are still unclear as far as what gates the international flights will be departing from. Again, sadly, the first class lounge closes at the end of this month and they have several months to figure out international gates.
Yes, it is sad to see the IAD GFL go. Unfortunately, I don't have any international flights leaving IAD between now and the end of the month to do a last farewell visit.

On figuring out the international gates, it will be challenging logistically and infrastructure planning. The midfield immigration and custom facility is right underneath the C areas between gate C1 nd C 15. There is also the transfer bag infrastructure right in the middle of the immigration and custom area. Unless UA is thinking about having international flights continue to arrive in C gates while departing international flights to leave from the other end of the D gates, it will probably need a total redesign of the international passengers arrival area.

Looking forward to see what UA comes up with. It won't be as simple as just finding a space and construct a Polaris Lounge.
qfrodo likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
I don't understand the logic of closing the IAD GFL but not the others.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Yes, it is sad to see the IAD GFL go. Unfortunately, I don't have any international flights leaving IAD between now and the end of the month to do a last farewell visit.

On figuring out the international gates, it will be challenging logistically and infrastructure planning. The midfield immigration and custom facility is right underneath the C areas between gate C1 nd C 15. There is also the transfer bag infrastructure right in the middle of the immigration and custom area. Unless UA is thinking about having international flights continue to arrive in C gates while departing international flights to leave from the other end of the D gates, it will probably need a total redesign of the international passengers arrival area.

Looking forward to see what UA comes up with. It won't be as simple as just finding a space and construct a Polaris Lounge.
repositioning of international birds between arrival and departure is very common from what I’ve seen.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
OK, this is weird. I just searched IAD-FRA on June 28, and First appears available with a price briefly in the search results, but then disappears from the page. But if you quickly click on the button in the First column, it takes you through to purchase the F ticket (A fare for $8521). And seats 1A and 2K are already taken. I didn't try to go through with the purchase, so no idea if it will actually let you buy the ticket.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fezzington

Originally Posted by physioprof
OK, this is weird. I just searched IAD-FRA on June 28, and First appears available with a price briefly in the search results, but then disappears from the page. But if you quickly click on the button in the First column, it takes you through to purchase the F ticket (A fare for $8521). And seats 1A and 2K are already taken. I didn't try to go through with the purchase, so no idea if it will actually let you buy the ticket.
I could not get the employee notice to show but I saw what happens when a passenger purchased a First Class seat and the expected 3-class 772 was switched to a reconfigured 772. That passenger was left wondering where was his First Class seat and had to ask a FA who told him that he was in the front of the plane and that was his seat: a Business First seat.

Those seats already taken may be from people who purchased their First Class seat before they decided to not sell them anymore. On January 25th, I could have purchased a First Class seat to PVG for a July flight. Price was very reasonable but I decided not to do it, so only booked Business.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Travel after 19-June has no seats for sale. However, they may op-up or accept GPUs if they feel like it.
It seems UA changed its mind. Tons of sellable F inventory post-June 19 has become available for purchase today.

UA944 ORD-FRA July 24 for example
F6 A5 J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 Y9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G0 N9

Looks like they extended life support for United Polaris first with 2 more months. Final day of sale seems to be August 19 currently.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Those seats already taken may be from people who purchased their First Class seat before they decided to not sell them anymore. On January 25th, I could have purchased a First Class seat to PVG for a July flight. Price was very reasonable but I decided not to do it, so only booked Business.
Not sure if we can compare today's seat maps to those of yesterday. They *may* have confirmed a relatively significant amount of waitlisted instrument upgrades last night and today after F/FN/A/O/ON were reopened... They confirmed mine, and I saw a few other reports of upgrades today.

Especially a 1A seat is a suspect upgrader as it is the seat that the upgrade process by default will assign if not already taken.

Seats filled on maps post-08/19 are probably pure cash seats though.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mozilla
It seems UA changed its mind. Tons of sellable F inventory post-June 19 has become available for purchase today.

UA944 ORD-FRA July 24 for example
F6 A5 J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 Y9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G0 N9

Looks like they extended life support for United Polaris first with 2 more months. Final day of sale seems to be August 19 currently.
Yes, you are right. They reopened the sale of First Class for my trip to PVG in July. It's now at $6,859. I could have purchased it at $5,100 in January instead of Business Class at $3,600. I guess if they give a TOD at $750 I could consider it.......

And I know that there were not selling First Class on those flights for at least a month or month and a half because my wife checked for doing an upfare as she was going to miss $1,400 to get to the $12,000 PQDs needed for 1K while getting to 101,000 PQMs.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Jun 14, 2018 at 7:20 pm
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA

was told to me by United staff at IAD. Unfortunately ,verified.

This is so so sad. Reminds me when AA closed many of the original Flagship Lounges like the terrific little one in BOS. UA even had a small IFL there at one time.
tuolumne likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I’m guessing they just decided to close the IAD GFL since they were planning to stop selling F on June 19 (originally). I’m glad I got to try it one last time earlier this month. Kind of worn out, and mediocre food (better than regular UCs, though), but I really liked the champagnes. Oh well, I usually eat in the LH Sen Lounge anyway. And count me skeptical we will see a Polaris lounge at IAD before 2020.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.