Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA First lounges/GFL have closed now that GF/PF is gone -- what happens to the space?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Present use of past IFL/GLFs
  • SFO -- converted to UC
  • IAD -- converted to UC
  • LHR -- VIP / GS lounge
  • NRT -- VIP / GS lounge
  • HKG -- VIP / GS lounge
Reportedly (unpublished) GS at VIP/GS lounge can have one guest, two if UC member

related threads
Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Gutted over loss of GFL
Print Wikipost

UA First lounges/GFL have closed now that GF/PF is gone -- what happens to the space?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I was there a few days ago and it is now a "VIP" Lounge. GS are invited to use it and the only change is that a GS can bring one guest if not a UC member or two guests if a member. No 1K's.
+1

Flew out of LHR on Saturday in Polaris on the 11.35am flight to SFO. Access to UC only. No invite to the (former) GFL even though I had 1A (former GF seat).

UC very, very crowded with announcements to please not place carryon/personal items on seats so everyone could have a seat.

Was only a brief stop to grab a coffee, a plate of baked beans and mushrooms, and get changed into leggings for the flight. If I needed to be in the lounge for longer than 30 mins would have gone to the SQ lounge.

The SFO Polaris lounge is a haven compared to the LHR UC lounge.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
+1

Flew out of LHR on Saturday in Polaris on the 11.35am flight to SFO. Access to UC only. No invite to the (former) GFL even though I had 1A (former GF seat).

UC very, very crowded with announcements to please not place carryon/personal items on seats so everyone could have a seat.

Was only a brief stop to grab a coffee, a plate of baked beans and mushrooms, and get changed into leggings for the flight. If I needed to be in the lounge for longer than 30 mins would have gone to the SQ lounge.

The SFO Polaris lounge is a haven compared to the LHR UC lounge.
Agree. The UC seems more crowded now. I generally take the 6pm LHR-EWR and the SQ lounge is becoming my go-to, as there are rarely more than 20 or so people in there at that hour since the next LHR-SIN doesn't go until 8:35pm. I also like the MLL, but AC has a 6pm departure to YYZ and there's usually a similar level of crowding to the UC.

The LHR UC still has better food/bev service than both, IMO, but if I'm not hungry, I value the relative solitude of the SKL.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by EWR764
Agree. The UC seems more crowded now. I generally take the 6pm LHR-EWR and the SQ lounge is becoming my go-to, as there are rarely more than 20 or so people in there at that hour since the next LHR-SIN doesn't go until 8:35pm. I also like the MLL, but AC has a 6pm departure to YYZ and there's usually a similar level of crowding to the UC.

The LHR UC still has better food/bev service than both, IMO, but if I'm not hungry, I value the relative solitude of the SKL.
Ran through the LHR former GF/New VIP Lounge quickly this weekend to assess. Laurent Perrier Brut on offer. DId not have time for breakfast but took a quick peak at the a la carte menu and noticed that the cooked to order full English breakfast is gone, which the waitress confirmed. Unfortunately, did not take a picture of the menu. If no one else has posted a pic of the breakfast menu before then, I will try to do so next time through in a couple of weeks.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Off to Tokyo and other bits of Asia soon. Can anyone tell me what is situation with former GF lounge and showes?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by manstein58
Off to Tokyo and other bits of Asia soon. Can anyone tell me what is situation with former GF lounge and showes?
It's still there -- and available exclusively to Global Services passengers.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wxguy
It's still there -- and available exclusively to Global Services passengers.
What about one guest of a GS?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
What about one guest of a GS?
earlier posts

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I was there a few days ago and it is now a "VIP" Lounge. GS are invited to use it and the only change is that a GS can bring one guest if not a UC member or two guests if a member. No 1K's .
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
I flew through last month and they were continuing to allow GS into the lounge but also now allowing guests when flying UA J (before a guest was only allowed when flying First). ...
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I was in the NRT GS lounge (4th floor) this past Friday, and again today. On Friday, it was packed -- every seat taken in the main area, even spilling back into the room with cubes. Today it was about 2/3 full. I think this may in part be to that January has overlapping GS membership years; it will be interesting to see if numbers reduce on February 1 as those not re-invited roll off.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: United Gold
Does anyone know what United has done with the Global First lounge at NRT now that they no longer have Global First? I’m assuming they are going to turn it into a Polaris lounge but what are they doing with it in the meantime?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by love_to_travel
Does anyone know what United has done with the Global First lounge at NRT now that they no longer have Global First? I’m assuming they are going to turn it into a Polaris lounge but what are they doing with it in the meantime?
It's a GS (/ VIP?) lounge now.

Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:05 pm

Last 3 times I’ve gone to UA club at HKg they haven’t sent me to the old GFl as a GS. Is it still open? Certain hours?

wonder where the Polaris lounge will go GFL way too small
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by jp12687
Last 3 times I’ve gone to UA club at HKg they haven’t sent me to the old GFl as a GS. Is it still open? Certain hours?

wonder where the Polaris lounge will go GFL way too small
I was through there 4x in late Feb thru mid March, and was sent to the old GFL (2x was the only person there my entire stay). If something’s changed it would have been in the last couple of weeks.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Any new news on NRT? GS lounge still trucking along? Any sign of real estate possibilities for Polaris?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Was in NRT GS/VIP (former GF) lounge on May 16th. Our group consisted of 2 GS and 2 guests (both flying UA business). Overall lounge wasn't too crowded, and much less so than the UC downstairs.

Main advantages seemed to be better food/drink selection and quieter/less crowded.

No sign of Polaris lounge, work or real estate.

Weatherboy likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
In the NRT VIP now. I''m the only one here at the moment. It's 148 pm local time so about 2 hours before the big bank of US flights start boarding. I see little (to my pleasant surprise) change from the GFL (unlike LHR which was downgraded a bit). Excellent assortment of sushi and other foods. Tattinger reserve self serve. I'll enjoy these two hours. 😎
This time with photos. Mods please combine.

narvik likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 15, 2019 at 11:54 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.