Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hello – We would like to share some information that will help answer some of your questions. We're continuing to roll out our signature United Polaris® direct-aisle-access seating, adding at least one aircraft with United Polaris seating every 10 days on average from now through 2020.To support this effort, we performed a system update this past weekend to redefine some of our cabin booking classes, which includes no longer offering United Polaris first class. As a result, any United Polaris first class tickets will now be designated as United Polaris business class. We will be reaching out to all customers impacted by these changes.We’ve also re-aligned some of our booking codes. Notably, you’ll see that we aren’t using F, A classes anymore, and R and RN, which were upgrade classes before, is now PZ. PZ has the same availability as the booking codes it replaced.Premium cabin booking codes for United domestic and international flights are now as follows:
  • Revenue: J, C, D, Z, P
  • Award: JN, ZN, IN, I
  • Upgrade: PN, PZ

Thanks,

- UA Insider
Below is a list of the changes that may commonly affect reservation practices:
  • R/RN for upgrades has been replaced by PZ
    • suggest: search for PZ space
  • F, A fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: no known workaround yet for 016- ticketing F or A on partners? (google flights may work?)
  • O, ON fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: --
  • PN is still used for GS upgrades and 1K Instant Upgrades

Summary of Current Fare Codes (thanks jgreen1024)
Revenue buckets (PQM earnings)
J - Full Fare Business (300%)
C - Full Fare Business (200%)
D - Full Fare Business (200%)
Z - Discount Business (200%)
P - Deep Discount Business (150%)

Y - Full Fare Coach (150%)
B - Full Fare Coach (150%)
M - Discount Coach (100%)
E - Discount Coach (100%)
U - Discount Coach (100%)
H - Discount Coach (100%)
Q - Discount Coach (100%)
V - Discount Coach (100%)
W - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
S - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
T - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
L - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
K - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
G - Deep Discount Coach (100%)

N - Basic Economy (0%)

Saver Award Seats
IN - Elite Saver Business Award
I - Saver Business Award
XN - Elite Saver Coach Award
X - Saver Coach Award

Standard Award Seats
JN - Elite/CC Business Award
ZN - Business Award
YN - Elite/CC Coach Award

Upgrade Awards
PN - GS upgrade, Instant upgrade for 1K
PZ - Upgrade to Business/Domestic F
Print Wikipost

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The previous R upgrade inventory space is now PZ
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
There has been some changes that were reported and discussed. The former R is now PZ. In your case it's PZ0 so the upgrade might not open. But it's PN2 which means that there are no GS traveling alone or with one companion traveling on your flight that want to use an instrument for the upgrade

I see that you are GS, if you apply an upgrade instrument should clear into the PN unless there are 3 of you in the same PNR.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 22, 2018 at 12:08 pm Reason: unneeded snark removed
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Caution on auto-clearing

I am not sure if others have seen this or if it is a result of the weekend changes. Since PN has remained unaffected through these changes, I am not sure of the cause.

I have been watching my SFO-SIN flight like a hawk as it has been P9 PN0 since booking and I thought I would clear soon. Today, I checked Expert Mode and saw my flight was PN3 (and PZ3 for that matter). However my PNR was NOT updated and I was still showing waitlist. I called the GS line and the agent was able to process the UG and thought perhaps the weekend changes impacted it not being done automatically.

While PN was supposedly unaffected, perhaps a change somewhere in the code for the intended changes might have impacted (unintentionally) other areas. Moral of the story is watch your PNR's like a hawk for a while as these changes settle out.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
I am not sure if others have seen this or if it is a result of the weekend changes. Since PN has remained unaffected through these changes, I am not sure of the cause.

I have been watching my SFO-SIN flight like a hawk as it has been P9 PN0 since booking and I thought I would clear soon. Today, I checked Expert Mode and saw my flight was PN3 (and PZ3 for that matter). However my PNR was NOT updated and I was still showing waitlist. I called the GS line and the agent was able to process the UG and thought perhaps the weekend changes impacted it not being done automatically.

While PN was supposedly unaffected, perhaps a change somewhere in the code for the intended changes might have impacted (unintentionally) other areas. Moral of the story is watch your PNR's like a hawk for a while as these changes settle out.
Welcome to the life of a 1K.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I have 23 reservations active and was hoping to get a few extra waitlisted upgrades to clear immediately following transition, as sometimes happens when computer system changes are implemented, but so far nothing.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:04 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Updates to United Fare Classes

Hello – We would like to share some information that will help answer some of your questions. We're continuing to roll out our signature United Polaris® direct-aisle-access seating, adding at least one aircraft with United Polaris seating every 10 days on average from now through 2020.To support this effort, we performed a system update this past weekend to redefine some of our cabin booking classes, which includes no longer offering United Polaris first class. As a result, any United Polaris first class tickets will now be designated as United Polaris business class. We will be reaching out to all customers impacted by these changes.We’ve also re-aligned some of our booking codes. Notably, you’ll see that we aren’t using F, A classes anymore, and R and RN, which were upgrade classes before, is now PZ. PZ has the same availability as the booking codes it replaced.Premium cabin booking codes for United domestic and international flights are now as follows:

Thanks,

- UA Insider
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by bluedemon211

PN was indeed unaffected -- the waitlist clearance does not run synchronously with the inventory changes and that hasn't been fixed
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
I have a flight tomorrow booked in E upgraded with a GPU into PZ. Of the 10 flights on that route tomorrow only mine has PZ open, and almost all have E open. On the app and web I'm offered no options for SDC. In the past I would have been offered options for E. So either the system is broken or it's trying to find PZ for SDC.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL

Thanks,

- UA Insider
we were worried about you! welcome back, and please post regularly!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
PZ is now displaying in the correct order in Expert Mode.
windhund likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Sykes
Most of my GS travelers are exactly the same way--if they didn't use their miles or instruments on other travelers, they wouldn't use them at all.

In fairness, though, that's not really what we're talking about. When the GS member is flying in paid business then GS agents can force the traveling companion's upgrade to clear by manually opening up PN inventory (provided that there are enough open seats), so PN inventory in the sense we're discussing here isn't really relevant. PN inventory is relevant when the GS member is being upgraded, the GS member is not present on the flight, or the GS member has multiple traveling companions and already used the forced upgrade benefit on someone else. IMO, this is one of the most valuable benefits of GS, and I think it would be a huge mistake for United to devalue it.
The simple reason of allowing GS to upgrade their families or friends is that most of the high revenue tickets of the GS are paid by companies. In such case the upgrade instruments and PN priority would not be useful for the GS, and the GS program would lose much of its attraction. UA wants those 1Ks whose spend is 30-40Ks to make an effort to spend more to reach GS, then UA must make GS benefit attractive and useful. Restricting the PN to GS only would defeat the purpose. The incentive is also needed to keep GS's interest to re-qualify.

The status ladder is an inherent "unfair" system. UA decided to let GS receive significant better benefits to entice the others to become GS. Furthermore, the number of GS is much smaller than 1K. If 1Ks can pass their status to families and friends, it will create more competitions for other 1Ks than the case of GS passing their privileges.. We can see this in the impact of allowing 1Ks to preboard. It is almost unheard of that a large group of GS causes problems for the GA. But in hub-to-hub widebody and international flights, it is not infrequent to see 2-3 dozens of 1Ks pre-boarding making the GA's job more challenging..

Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The previous R upgrade inventory space is now PZ
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
There has been some changes that were reported and discussed. The former R is now PZ. In your case it's PZ0 so the upgrade might not open. But it's PN2 which means that there are no GS traveling alone or with one companion traveling on your flight that want to use an instrument for the upgrade

I see that you are GS, if you apply an upgrade instrument should clear into the PN unless there are 3 of you in the same PNR.
Thank you both. I was almost certain that the question has been asked and looked for the thread about it, but when I saw the title "Change to Fare Classes" I thought it was about changing one's ticketed reservation from one fare class to another.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:46 pm

Difference between JN and ZN

Thanks,

- UA Insider
i assume JN and ZN are everyday business awards. What is the difference?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
i assume JN and ZN are everyday business awards. What is the difference?
JN is last-seat availability for premier members (and possibly United-branded chase credit card members; I don't recall). ZN may be capacity controlled, but is available for everyone. If both are available on the same flight, there's no difference in the number of miles required.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
PN was indeed unaffected -- the waitlist clearance does not run synchronously with the inventory changes and that hasn't been fixed
And sometimes the waitlisted upgrade just doesn't clear, likely because the instrument was not applied properly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.