Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hello – We would like to share some information that will help answer some of your questions. We're continuing to roll out our signature United Polaris® direct-aisle-access seating, adding at least one aircraft with United Polaris seating every 10 days on average from now through 2020.To support this effort, we performed a system update this past weekend to redefine some of our cabin booking classes, which includes no longer offering United Polaris first class. As a result, any United Polaris first class tickets will now be designated as United Polaris business class. We will be reaching out to all customers impacted by these changes.We’ve also re-aligned some of our booking codes. Notably, you’ll see that we aren’t using F, A classes anymore, and R and RN, which were upgrade classes before, is now PZ. PZ has the same availability as the booking codes it replaced.Premium cabin booking codes for United domestic and international flights are now as follows:
  • Revenue: J, C, D, Z, P
  • Award: JN, ZN, IN, I
  • Upgrade: PN, PZ

Thanks,

- UA Insider
Below is a list of the changes that may commonly affect reservation practices:
  • R/RN for upgrades has been replaced by PZ
    • suggest: search for PZ space
  • F, A fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: no known workaround yet for 016- ticketing F or A on partners? (google flights may work?)
  • O, ON fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: --
  • PN is still used for GS upgrades and 1K Instant Upgrades

Summary of Current Fare Codes (thanks jgreen1024)
Revenue buckets (PQM earnings)
J - Full Fare Business (300%)
C - Full Fare Business (200%)
D - Full Fare Business (200%)
Z - Discount Business (200%)
P - Deep Discount Business (150%)

Y - Full Fare Coach (150%)
B - Full Fare Coach (150%)
M - Discount Coach (100%)
E - Discount Coach (100%)
U - Discount Coach (100%)
H - Discount Coach (100%)
Q - Discount Coach (100%)
V - Discount Coach (100%)
W - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
S - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
T - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
L - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
K - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
G - Deep Discount Coach (100%)

N - Basic Economy (0%)

Saver Award Seats
IN - Elite Saver Business Award
I - Saver Business Award
XN - Elite Saver Coach Award
X - Saver Coach Award

Standard Award Seats
JN - Elite/CC Business Award
ZN - Business Award
YN - Elite/CC Coach Award

Upgrade Awards
PN - GS upgrade, Instant upgrade for 1K
PZ - Upgrade to Business/Domestic F
Print Wikipost

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Xerinax
PN bothers me quite a bit to the extent (and this was very recently confirmed by MP and also mentioned in other FT threads - so I assume it to be reality) that miles / instruments coming from GS account waitlist for PN, even if the sponsoring member is not traveling.
This has been the norm for many years.
They took same status sponsorship away years ago for the rest of the program.
GS GPUs clearing into PN is not the same thing. It has nothing to do with status of the traveler.
Benefits should be first and foremost for the traveler, and the benefit of upgrades is directly tied to inventory management.
If you were GS (or friends and family who receives gifted GPUs), you would undoubtedly feel differently. Personally I don't see much point in getting worked up about this, and certainly not now, since it's been this way for years and years.
Originally Posted by jsloan
The fact that they didn't make any changes for GS should tell you how UA feels about the situation.
I'm not sure there's a fix given the limitations of SHARES. The can code to clear based on status of traveler, but the instrument will still clear into PN.

Last edited by Kacee; Oct 21, 2018 at 4:13 pm
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...Benefits should be first and foremost for the traveler, and the benefit of upgrades is directly tied to inventory management.
Well, being able to upgrade family member into PN is a benefit first and foremost for the GS customer. Last thing UA wants to hear is symphony of howls from the entire GS customer base. And their family members who benefit. The argument of inherited status has good points on both sides, but UA does what it thinks is best for UA. Inherited status permeates UA - from size of boarding groups to availability of E+ seats. Inherited status benefits we dole out to others are there - free bags, E+ seats, BG priority, even (rarely) upgrades. Going to benefits strictly for Premiers would affect a far higher number (by several magnitudes?) of travelers than the number of GS benefiting from PN.

If you're travelling with your family, do you want to be in BG1 and have them back in BG4 because they're not the frequent flyer? Having them board with you is a form of inherited status.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:17 pm

Whether P > PN or not, they're going to open PN space before they open R space. The problem with inventory isn't P0 PN9, it's PN9 R0.
Agree, so the issue here is finite inventory and PN seats being poached, such that R may never become available.

Companions don't get certs automatically, so this really only applies to GS MM companions who reach 1K on their own. There's a good chance you haven't flown with one such person this year.
Companions can still use their miles to the same end so it's not really about certs alone. I fly GS heavy routes with BIS > 150K this year so I assume I have flown with more than one person this year, but you might also be right. The mystery is always there - we mostly don't know who our fellow travelers are, or why we ended up #1 on the WL instead of cleared. All I can say is it's very frustrating and would like to see for it to be managed more systematically.

That's the decision UA has made. GS instruments can be used on award tickets, too, so this hypothetical generous GS of yours could book a saver award ticket for a colleague, then upgrade it with an instrument. Considering that the going rate for GS seems to be $40K in UA spend or (sometimes much) higher, depending upon your location, I can see why UA wants to keep these customers happy.
There are plenty of 1K members who spend close to or more than GS depending on market who hit the hard ceiling of R instead of PN. I imagine that is fairly frustrating to them.

Yes, they did; it was never a published benefit in the first place, but rather an accidental byproduct of the way pmCO's systems were built. The fact that they didn't make any changes for GS should tell you how UA feels about the situation.
And it really didn't drive a lot of 1K members away, based on current prevalence levels. Everyone knows how UA feels about GS, it still doesn't mean they can re-evaluate what may not make sense. Maybe it takes more members giving feedback about how it affects them...

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Well, being able to upgrade family member into PN is a benefit first and foremost for the GS customer. Last thing UA wants to hear is symphony of howls from the entire GS customer base. And their family members who benefit. The argument of inherited status has good points on both sides, but UA does what it thinks is best for UA. Inherited status permeates UA - from size of boarding groups to availability of E+ seats. Inherited status benefits we dole out to others are there - free bags, E+ seats, BG priority, even (rarely) upgrades. Going to benefits strictly for Premiers would affect a far higher number (by several magnitudes?) of travelers than the number of GS benefiting from PN.

If you're travelling with your family, do you want to be in BG1 and have them back in BG4 because they're not the frequent flyer? Having them board with you is a form of inherited status.
You make a lot of good points. Some things are of more of an impact to travelers than others. To clarify, the last one, if I am traveling with family then we are or were on the same PNR and on the same flight. That inherited status in my opinion is fundamentally different from when the primary member is NOT traveling.

Originally Posted by Kacee
If you were GS (or friends and family who receives gifted GPUs), you would undoubtedly feel differently. Personally I don't see much point in getting worked up about this, and certainly not now, since it's been this way for years and years.
That isn't actually true. I didn't disagree with the change to sponsorship years ago because it was fair to other travelers. I see this the same way. I've seen GS left on the WL for upgrades and it makes me wonder. Nothing to get worked up about I agree; this is simply my opinion. If time were ever an issue that impacted whether something was changed, we would have a very different world.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 21, 2018 at 5:44 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree, so the issue here is finite inventory and PN seats being poached, such that R may never become available.
Again, nothing has changed here. That's always been true. It is no more or no less likely to be true than it was a week or a year ago.

Companions can still use their miles to the same end so it's not really about certs alone. I fly GS heavy routes with BIS > 150K this year so I assume I have flown with more than one person this year, but you might also be right.
A 1MM GS companion could use miles+copay to access PN inventory, sure. I doubt that's prevalent -- there aren't many situations when it would make sense -- but it could be. But, on any given flight, the vast majority of GS'es are likely to have earned it, simply because somebody who gets GS only as a companion almost certainly doesn't fly as often (or they'd have GS on their own).

The mystery is always there - we mostly don't know who our fellow travelers are, or why we ended up #1 on the WL instead of cleared. All I can say is it's very frustrating and would like to see for it to be managed more systematically.
It is managed systematically. You simply don't like the system.

There are plenty of 1K members who spend close to or more than GS depending on market who hit the hard ceiling of R instead of PN. I imagine that is fairly frustrating to them.
If that is the case, then I imagine UA sees this as an incentive to spend a little bit more.

And it really didn't drive a lot of 1K members away, based on current prevalence levels. Everyone knows how UA feels about GS, it still doesn't mean they can re-evaluate what may not make sense. Maybe it takes more members giving feedback about how it affects them...
I don't think it affects me at all. My upgrade rate is fine; I've used every GPU I've ever earned by clearing into open R (now PZ) at booking. Would I prefer to be able to clear into PN instead? Sure, as that would give me more flight options. (Of course, if I could clear into PN, my upcoming trip would have been on a 77W.. meaning I wouldn't have been able to move into the old Global First seat on the 772 I actually booked. )

To clarify, the last one, if I am traveling with family then we are or were on the same PNR and on the same flight. That inherited status in my opinion is fundamentally different from when the primary member is NOT traveling.
That's the thing. Most of these certificates likely are used when the GS member is traveling (in which case, this whole thing is much ado about nothing). Others are used when the GS member is traveling but can't be on the same PNR: perhaps the GS member is on paid J -- to retain GS status -- but wants to bring the kids along on X+GPU or W+GPU. Or, perhaps the GS member is traveling for work and is paying out of pocket for a spouse to travel on W+GPU.

So, now the GS desk is busy taking care of these one-off requests that are within the spirit of the policy, but not the letter, instead of doing something more useful.

I personally think that the primary reason that upgrades are getting scarcer is that UA has cut the cost of the J product and more people are buying it, especially domestically.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: None anymore
There's no reason to start making assumptions like that. O will simply be P+ when on UA metal and F when on LH metal.

If you're really lucky, you'll have IRROPS and somebody will accidentally move you from UA O to LH O without thinking about it. (This actually happened to me on a P fare last year -- I was on NH P from NRT to BKK and the UA phone agent couldn't get it to stick, so she put me onto TG P instead. P is discount first on TG...).
SAME thing (almost) happened to me last year. UA P IRROPS, I was put on OZ same day on their a380 in OZ P, which is discount first. It. Was. Awesome. Best IRROPS of my life. I was so confused at first though, so I called OZ to see what class I was in and the phone agent said "you're in first class.... which is what you booked right?" Yes of course......
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by warrenw
SAME thing (almost) happened to me last year. UA P IRROPS, I was put on OZ same day on their a380 in OZ P, which is discount first. It. Was. Awesome. Best IRROPS of my life. I was so confused at first though, so I called OZ to see what class I was in and the phone agent said "you're in first class.... which is what you booked right?" Yes of course......
This ALMOST happened to me 2 years ago ... too bad the agent caught it the last second ... oh wait ... this is First ... I can't do that
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:06 am
GeP

Benefits should be first and foremost for the traveler, and the benefit of upgrades is directly tied to inventory management.
Yes, but if you're a GS (or even just 1K) and fly in paid business, what value are GPUs for yourself? Having a friend/partner sit in the same cabin on a business-related trip with a fair chance when buying coach is one of those.

Or, as in my case, we tend to fly together, though from different cities of origin for the first, short leg, which implies different itinaries, so having the partner on your itinary (and with your priority through that) is not an option.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by Kacee
I didn't say they would sell them, I said UA wants to sell them as D fares of higher. IME they are exercising quite a bit of inventory discipline on the SFO-SIN route. It's very common to see nothing lower than D for sale even with a wide-open cabin.
Update: I booked it and the upgrade cleared overnight. ^
jsloan and Kacee like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Ok new strange thing I am seeing, every Business cabin for my four upcoming international trips went from 2/3 full to completely full this morning. (ORD-LAX-MEL-LAX-ORD and ORD-LHR-ORD)
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:13 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Does anyone know if Seth (Wandering Aramean) has updated UA Expert Mode+ for the new fare classes configuration yet? I see no sign of it on his website.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: UGS
Yep, I spoke w/ 1K web support last night and they confirmed the same thing.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Ok I just checked by using UA.com and yes, when I go to book the Polaris cabin shows seats available... Seat map on current bookings does not (all blocked?)
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by 1P
Does anyone know if Seth (Wandering Aramean) has updated UA Expert Mode+ for the new fare classes configuration yet? I see no sign of it on his website.
I hope so. I thought it was an extremely useful tool and I for one appreciated the work he put in to developing that utility (and others, too).
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by GeP
Yes, but if you're a GS (or even just 1K) and fly in paid business, what value are GPUs for yourself? Having a friend/partner sit in the same cabin on a business-related trip with a fair chance when buying coach is one of those.

Or, as in my case, we tend to fly together, though from different cities of origin for the first, short leg, which implies different itinaries, so having the partner on your itinary (and with your priority through that) is not an option.
Most of my GS travelers are exactly the same way--if they didn't use their miles or instruments on other travelers, they wouldn't use them at all.

In fairness, though, that's not really what we're talking about. When the GS member is flying in paid business then GS agents can force the traveling companion's upgrade to clear by manually opening up PN inventory (provided that there are enough open seats), so PN inventory in the sense we're discussing here isn't really relevant. PN inventory is relevant when the GS member is being upgraded, the GS member is not present on the flight, or the GS member has multiple traveling companions and already used the forced upgrade benefit on someone else. IMO, this is one of the most valuable benefits of GS, and I think it would be a huge mistake for United to devalue it.

Last edited by Sykes; Oct 22, 2018 at 10:17 am
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
R spaces no longer shown in Expert Mode?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 22, 2018 at 11:20 am Reason: moved to exisiting thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.