Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hello – We would like to share some information that will help answer some of your questions. We're continuing to roll out our signature United Polaris® direct-aisle-access seating, adding at least one aircraft with United Polaris seating every 10 days on average from now through 2020.To support this effort, we performed a system update this past weekend to redefine some of our cabin booking classes, which includes no longer offering United Polaris first class. As a result, any United Polaris first class tickets will now be designated as United Polaris business class. We will be reaching out to all customers impacted by these changes.We’ve also re-aligned some of our booking codes. Notably, you’ll see that we aren’t using F, A classes anymore, and R and RN, which were upgrade classes before, is now PZ. PZ has the same availability as the booking codes it replaced.Premium cabin booking codes for United domestic and international flights are now as follows:
  • Revenue: J, C, D, Z, P
  • Award: JN, ZN, IN, I
  • Upgrade: PN, PZ

Thanks,

- UA Insider
Below is a list of the changes that may commonly affect reservation practices:
  • R/RN for upgrades has been replaced by PZ
    • suggest: search for PZ space
  • F, A fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: no known workaround yet for 016- ticketing F or A on partners? (google flights may work?)
  • O, ON fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: --
  • PN is still used for GS upgrades and 1K Instant Upgrades

Summary of Current Fare Codes (thanks jgreen1024)
Revenue buckets (PQM earnings)
J - Full Fare Business (300%)
C - Full Fare Business (200%)
D - Full Fare Business (200%)
Z - Discount Business (200%)
P - Deep Discount Business (150%)

Y - Full Fare Coach (150%)
B - Full Fare Coach (150%)
M - Discount Coach (100%)
E - Discount Coach (100%)
U - Discount Coach (100%)
H - Discount Coach (100%)
Q - Discount Coach (100%)
V - Discount Coach (100%)
W - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
S - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
T - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
L - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
K - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
G - Deep Discount Coach (100%)

N - Basic Economy (0%)

Saver Award Seats
IN - Elite Saver Business Award
I - Saver Business Award
XN - Elite Saver Coach Award
X - Saver Coach Award

Standard Award Seats
JN - Elite/CC Business Award
ZN - Business Award
YN - Elite/CC Coach Award

Upgrade Awards
PN - GS upgrade, Instant upgrade for 1K
PZ - Upgrade to Business/Domestic F
Print Wikipost

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Xerinax
looks like PZ disappears from visibility on expert mode the day before departure. seems to be calendar day, not exactly 24 hours (i.e. check in window). checked oct 21 and it doesn't display at all, but a flight departing after midnight (oct 22) still does.
i wonder if that is just an issue with the earliest set of flights using PZ inventory. I had thought the announcement was new inventory is used for all flights starting Monday 10/22. (My flight earlier today still had me booked in R when I flew it)
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by prometa

i wonder if that is just an issue with the earliest set of flights using PZ inventory. I had thought the announcement was new inventory is used for all flights starting Monday 10/22. (My flight earlier today still had me booked in R when I flew it)
Actually, yes you are right, but it’s weird because R and RN show only for the flights that also still show F/A. The ones that are J (like PS) don’t have it anymore. Hopefully just some transition issue. For a minute there, and it wouldn’t be below UA to do this, would have looked like they were eliminating the ability to see upgrade inventory close to check in
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Thanks for the heads up with the GF cabin opening up on the 3-Class 772s. I took the plunge and switched from 7H to 1K on my Christmas flight SFO-LHR I’m a 1K booker on a P fare).

Ill be watching it like a hawk, especially as though while it’s still holding 7H is still shown as occupied. It’s rather a coincidence that someone came along and took the seat I’d just vacated within 15 minutes, or it’s an issue and I’ll get swept back into the 2-4-2.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: 1K
Have a V fare booked and GPU cleared into R. It's a 3 class 777 and I was able to switch to seat 1K from row 7. Hope it sticks...grabbed a screenshot of the new confirmed seating just in case.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Ill be watching it like a hawk, especially as though while it’s still holding 7H is still shown as occupied. It’s rather a coincidence that someone came along and took the seat I’d just vacated within 15 minutes, or it’s an issue and I’ll get swept back into the 2-4-2.
Odd, my original selection became immediately available once I switched to GF. Maybe really coincidental?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm also seeing PZ equivalency to R right before the change.

Unfortunately, I'm also seeing that UA has raised its W fares on SFO-TPE by $160 within the past three days.
SFO-TPE and TPE-SFO are my most frequent flights - depending on the situation I usually buy W, P, Z, or unfortunately S/K sometimes. Just bought a ticket four days ago and pricing seemed normal, I guess I got lucky!
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by teryyz
Has anyone else noticed that PZ availability seems to have entirely disappeared sometime over the past few hours? I've been deciding between a few dates for SFO-AKL and there were at least 3 dates available in January as recently as this morning that showed PZ>0. All three dates now show PZ0. I've also checked 5 other routing/date combinations I had been considering for the return, out of SYD or NRT with R>0 showing earlier in the week (hadn't checked earlier today) - all now show PZ0 as well.

I called to ask and the agent verified that there is no PZ availability showing for SFO-AKL for all of January... same for TYO-SFO in January (not sure if she checked both NRT and HND though).
Nope, I still see PZ where it was before: e.g. SAN-SFO 01-Nov afternoon flight is J9 PZ6 IN2 I1

Originally Posted by Xerinax
looks like PZ disappears from visibility on expert mode the day before departure. seems to be calendar day, not exactly 24 hours (i.e. check in window). checked oct 21 and it doesn't display at all, but a flight departing after midnight (oct 22) still does.
It's not a day before departure thing, it's a specific date. Flight on/before 21-Oct are still using FACDZP scale with R for upgrades.

Originally Posted by gusd
It also looks like buy-up offers are now shown for segments that are waitlisted with an instrument or even cleared.
I noticed that also. I'm guessing the buyup code hasn't figured out that PZ is a premium code. United is wondering if I would like to pay $6,000 for my already confirmed SFO-AKL upgrade
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:58 pm

Why would UA not want to keep F/A on LH/LX operated but UA coded flights?
It's much easier for travel agencies to with clients who want tickets issued on 016 stock to sell them as codeshare flights.
Why wouldn't UA want this revenue?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by chuck1
It's much easier for travel agencies to with clients who want tickets issued on 016 stock to sell them as codeshare flights.
UA will still revenue share with LH on TATLs due to the JV.

But overall I agree, don't see much sense in UA's decision to drop the F/A fare codes. It makes their code structure inconsistent with their two main JV partners, LH and NH (and undercuts all the progress they've made in recent years aligning booking codes).
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by chuck1
The number of people who (1) fly *A paid F, and (2) care about whose ticket stock their paid F travel plates on, and (3) will start flying other airlines instead of calling UA to plate the ticket 016 represent far less profit to UA than the cost of maintaining a separate fare code structure for certain UA codeshare flights. Also, don't forget UA has a joint venture with the LH group so they still get revenue from off-plated LH F travel.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
So... PZ is showing up, but it seems to be 0 everywhere. This evening SIN-SFO on Monday the 29th (7 days from now) has 22 seats (with 6 available in the morning) and PZ=0. Is anyone seeing PZ≠0?

Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TomA
So... PZ is showing up, but it seems to be 0 everywhere. This evening SIN-SFO on Monday the 29th (7 days from now) has 22 seats (with 6 available in the morning) and PZ=0. Is anyone seeing PZ≠0?
Yes, as noted above by multiple posters (including me).

You're surprised that SIN-SFO is PZ0? I'd be surprised if it were not. They typically don't even open P on those flights within a week or two of departure. They want to sell all those seats as D fares or higher.
Silver Fox and findark like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:09 am

Yes, as noted above by multiple posters (including me).

You're surprised that SIN-SFO is PZ0? I'd be surprised if it were not. They typically don't even open P on those flights within a week or two of departure. They want to sell all those seats as D fares or higher.

Ok, that's good to know.
I'm surprised when they're running two flights a day and we are only a week out that it is 0, yes. I get SIN upgrades quite often right around this time of year. I think there is very little chance they'll sell 28 seats out in a week.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by TomA
I get SIN upgrades quite often right around this time of year. I think there is very little chance they'll sell 28 seats out in a week.
I didn't say they would sell them, I said UA wants to sell them as D fares of higher. IME they are exercising quite a bit of inventory discipline on the SFO-SIN route. It's very common to see nothing lower than D for sale even with a wide-open cabin.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:48 am

I didn't say they would sell them, I said UA wants to sell them as D fares of higher. IME they are exercising quite a bit of inventory discipline on the SFO-SIN route. It's very common to see nothing lower than D for sale even with a wide-open cabin.
Ok understood. But how would adding PZ=2 prevent them from selling D? You think upgraders would undercut the D sales somehow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.