Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hello – We would like to share some information that will help answer some of your questions. We're continuing to roll out our signature United Polaris® direct-aisle-access seating, adding at least one aircraft with United Polaris seating every 10 days on average from now through 2020.To support this effort, we performed a system update this past weekend to redefine some of our cabin booking classes, which includes no longer offering United Polaris first class. As a result, any United Polaris first class tickets will now be designated as United Polaris business class. We will be reaching out to all customers impacted by these changes.We’ve also re-aligned some of our booking codes. Notably, you’ll see that we aren’t using F, A classes anymore, and R and RN, which were upgrade classes before, is now PZ. PZ has the same availability as the booking codes it replaced.Premium cabin booking codes for United domestic and international flights are now as follows:
  • Revenue: J, C, D, Z, P
  • Award: JN, ZN, IN, I
  • Upgrade: PN, PZ

Thanks,

- UA Insider
Below is a list of the changes that may commonly affect reservation practices:
  • R/RN for upgrades has been replaced by PZ
    • suggest: search for PZ space
  • F, A fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: no known workaround yet for 016- ticketing F or A on partners? (google flights may work?)
  • O, ON fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: --
  • PN is still used for GS upgrades and 1K Instant Upgrades

Summary of Current Fare Codes (thanks jgreen1024)
Revenue buckets (PQM earnings)
J - Full Fare Business (300%)
C - Full Fare Business (200%)
D - Full Fare Business (200%)
Z - Discount Business (200%)
P - Deep Discount Business (150%)

Y - Full Fare Coach (150%)
B - Full Fare Coach (150%)
M - Discount Coach (100%)
E - Discount Coach (100%)
U - Discount Coach (100%)
H - Discount Coach (100%)
Q - Discount Coach (100%)
V - Discount Coach (100%)
W - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
S - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
T - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
L - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
K - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
G - Deep Discount Coach (100%)

N - Basic Economy (0%)

Saver Award Seats
IN - Elite Saver Business Award
I - Saver Business Award
XN - Elite Saver Coach Award
X - Saver Coach Award

Standard Award Seats
JN - Elite/CC Business Award
ZN - Business Award
YN - Elite/CC Coach Award

Upgrade Awards
PN - GS upgrade, Instant upgrade for 1K
PZ - Upgrade to Business/Domestic F
Print Wikipost

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Is anyone seeing PZ >0? I haven't yet (brief look) but that isn't anything unusual on the routes I travel
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Anyone had experience since the change paying to upgrade after booking a coach fare?

Recently post-ticketing online paid upgrades were still (usually) getting original fare PQM/PQS credit (even while showing a premium fare code) unless you called and had the ticket reissued. Just wondering if a post-ticketing paid Web upgrade will result in the higher PQM/PQS. And if so, are TOD OLCI upgrades giving different results?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ermintrude
Is anyone seeing PZ >0? I haven't yet (brief look) but that isn't anything unusual on the routes I travel
Yes, I checked a SFO-HND flight that was R9 before the change and now it's PZ9.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
Yes, I checked a SFO-HND flight that was R9 before the change and now it's PZ9.
Same here. Was tracking a flight out of SFO to HNL for a CPU. Was R=6 before the R->PZ switch, saw PZ=6 this morning and cleared CPU a little later with reservation showing me booked in PZ. Easy PZ?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ermintrude
Yes, several SAN-SFO PN9 PZ6 IN0 like expected. The biggest oddity I've seen are the occasional Z9 P0 PN9 PZ0
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm also seeing PZ equivalency to R right before the change.

Unfortunately, I'm also seeing that UA has raised its W fares on SFO-TPE by $160 within the past three days.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's been used for elite upgrades below 1K for a while now.
it was used but because R/RN were always equal without fail, it really didn't matter. doesn't make any difference that it is gone, other than I was hoping for the longest time that maybe, just maybe (but of course not), UA would do something to create a separate upgrade booking class and differential inventory for 1K. Could have used R>RN for that.

Last edited by Xerinax; Oct 20, 2018 at 4:13 pm
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
So is W still the lowest fare class that is eligible for upgrade with an instrument when PZ > 0? Or are there any new fare classes reassigned that might also be eligible?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
So is W still the lowest fare class that is eligible for upgrade with an instrument when PZ > 0? Or are there any new fare classes reassigned that might also be eligible?
have not seen anything to suggest that W fare minimum for segments requiring GPU has changed at all
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Skymiles, HHonors Silver, Marriott Gold
Has anyone else noticed that PZ availability seems to have entirely disappeared sometime over the past few hours? I've been deciding between a few dates for SFO-AKL and there were at least 3 dates available in January as recently as this morning that showed PZ>0. All three dates now show PZ0. I've also checked 5 other routing/date combinations I had been considering for the return, out of SYD or NRT with R>0 showing earlier in the week (hadn't checked earlier today) - all now show PZ0 as well.

I called to ask and the agent verified that there is no PZ availability showing for SFO-AKL for all of January... same for TYO-SFO in January (not sure if she checked both NRT and HND though).
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by wxguy
I was told by a GS agent that only GS and 1K can grab a seat in the front cabin on a 3-class airplane. (By the way, "BF" no longer exists. It's simply United Business or Polaris Business.)
I had the seat assignment issue on the app, but the website let me do it. Let’s hope it sticks for both me and the wife.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:22 pm

looks like PZ disappears from visibility on expert mode the day before departure. seems to be calendar day, not exactly 24 hours (i.e. check in window). checked oct 21 and it doesn't display at all, but a flight departing after midnight (oct 22) still does.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
I had the seat assignment issue on the app, but the website let me do it. Let’s hope it sticks for both me and the wife.
This is great news for 1Ks, at least for now. Booking into the old GF seat by using W fare + GPU is a great deal - and a huge upgrade vs. those stuck in 2-4-2. Almost gives a reason to proactively seek out sUA birds for once
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
It also looks like buy-up offers are now shown for segments that are waitlisted with an instrument or even cleared.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by gusd
It also looks like buy-up offers are now shown for segments that are waitlisted with an instrument or even cleared.
Not for any of the PNR's I have right now. I guess it is a YMMV situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.