Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hello – We would like to share some information that will help answer some of your questions. We're continuing to roll out our signature United Polaris® direct-aisle-access seating, adding at least one aircraft with United Polaris seating every 10 days on average from now through 2020.To support this effort, we performed a system update this past weekend to redefine some of our cabin booking classes, which includes no longer offering United Polaris first class. As a result, any United Polaris first class tickets will now be designated as United Polaris business class. We will be reaching out to all customers impacted by these changes.We’ve also re-aligned some of our booking codes. Notably, you’ll see that we aren’t using F, A classes anymore, and R and RN, which were upgrade classes before, is now PZ. PZ has the same availability as the booking codes it replaced.Premium cabin booking codes for United domestic and international flights are now as follows:
  • Revenue: J, C, D, Z, P
  • Award: JN, ZN, IN, I
  • Upgrade: PN, PZ

Thanks,

- UA Insider
Below is a list of the changes that may commonly affect reservation practices:
  • R/RN for upgrades has been replaced by PZ
    • suggest: search for PZ space
  • F, A fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: no known workaround yet for 016- ticketing F or A on partners? (google flights may work?)
  • O, ON fare classes have been removed
    • suggest: --
  • PN is still used for GS upgrades and 1K Instant Upgrades

Summary of Current Fare Codes (thanks jgreen1024)
Revenue buckets (PQM earnings)
J - Full Fare Business (300%)
C - Full Fare Business (200%)
D - Full Fare Business (200%)
Z - Discount Business (200%)
P - Deep Discount Business (150%)

Y - Full Fare Coach (150%)
B - Full Fare Coach (150%)
M - Discount Coach (100%)
E - Discount Coach (100%)
U - Discount Coach (100%)
H - Discount Coach (100%)
Q - Discount Coach (100%)
V - Discount Coach (100%)
W - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
S - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
T - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
L - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
K - Deep Discount Coach (100%)
G - Deep Discount Coach (100%)

N - Basic Economy (0%)

Saver Award Seats
IN - Elite Saver Business Award
I - Saver Business Award
XN - Elite Saver Coach Award
X - Saver Coach Award

Standard Award Seats
JN - Elite/CC Business Award
ZN - Business Award
YN - Elite/CC Coach Award

Upgrade Awards
PN - GS upgrade, Instant upgrade for 1K
PZ - Upgrade to Business/Domestic F
Print Wikipost

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
This roll out has been poorly handled.. Folks on the phone did not know what was going on.

It's only been a few hours; the dust hasn't even settled yet.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
His story (which I find dubious) is I would have been removed from 1c in a sweep anyway.
I honestly have no idea whether or not my seat assignment will stick either. It's entirely possible that they will go through and sweep people out. I'm not sure "first come, first served" is the algorithm they wanted to use.

I'd keep an eye on it over the next couple of days to see what happens. As you can see from the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...e-classes.html and 2 Class Flights with 3 Class Planes --- Who gets to sit in the 3-class F seats? threads, there's been a pretty high rate of success reported.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton

It's only been a few hours; the dust hasn't even settled yet.
In a competent company training and information would be done in advance of a roll out like this.
Heck. They could just read FT and learn more
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:58 am

An upcoming flight IAD-MUC in which I already confirmed an upgrade with a GPU now lists as a schedule change using an airbus A320. It also lists me as being in coach. I will wait until Monday to call United if this remains unresolved.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
this is what others have reported as well. Looks like A --> D and F--> J ... makes sense IMO.
Same change (A->D) made on my DEN-KOA flight. All is well on that front
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Looks like after the changes, PN has swelled in a lot of cases, with some flights I was watching shooting up to PN9, while P and PZ have remained constant to what they were previously (based on a few datapoints from yesterday).
Not seeing any "swelling" on the flight I have been monitoring closely. P9 PN0 for 2 weeks on SFO-SIN. After last night's changeover, those numbers are unchanged. I suspect the "swelling" might be independent of last night's change and more likely IM opening up more PN space.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
My wife is Platinum and she managed to get a seat in the First Class area. She's on her own PNR. Now, if she gets kicked out of her seat it better be in the next few days as there are still plenty of aisle seats in the Business area.
I wasn’t able to do it through the app. But going to the website did the trick. The seat reservations have stuck for now. Let’s see what Monday brings.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
So one piece of good news from this change is that UA has now branded GF as BF and the orange boxes are seats now available for selection. Only problem is that it might be restricted to 1k or GSs for now. I tried changing my wife and mine, it would only confirm my seat and not hers. Wonder if it could be because of the lap infant
I was told by a GS agent that only GS and 1K can grab a seat in the front cabin on a 3-class airplane. (By the way, "BF" no longer exists. It's simply United Business or Polaris Business.)
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1k
So I was looking at a bunch p.s. SFO-EWR flights for April and March and saw that PZ=IN availability, but I<IN. (though any saver award availability on that route is few and far between hahaha)
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
After last night's system upgrade, it looks like R and RN disappeared from expert mode. PZ seems to be the new upgrade class. I checked the couple of flights that I had confirmed upgrades with R, they are now showing PZ.
94010flyer likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
I'm kind of blown away that United has done pretty much no messaging on this change. Even to travel agencies the details were buried in the bottom of an email about the seat map outage, and there's nothing on Jetstream.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by juan516
Good morning,

This apparent change would make a big difference for pax flying United metal on a relatively cheap Lufthansa First Class Discount fare (Booking class A) ex Europe to - for example - Hawaii:

Until now, Lufthansa would credit to pax booked and ticketed in A 300 % of flown distance plus a 25% of flown distance Executive Bonus (HON, SEN, FTL) compared to a ticketed pax in booking class J who would only get 200% of flown distance plus the 25% of flown distance Executive Bonus. This means 33 % less status miles for Miles & More customers which can make status requalification impossible.

Did the UA bean counters find out, that UA paid too much to Miles & More for handing out relatively good credits for pax booked in A ?

Of course I am aware that booking class A had never secured a better seat - you always sit in the Domestic Business Class cabin. But availability last minute was way better in A than in booking classes J, C or D, specially on most popular routes.

Am I correct with this assumption - inputs are most welcome.

Cheers,
juan516.

Yes to all of the above, with the caveat that A class earning 300% was always effectively an error when applied to domestic flights, since it was intended to be the earn rate for 3-class First. The realignment of codes on United will close this loophole, but it's just an accidental side effect. Also note that United stopped selling A fares domestically about 6 weeks ago.. however, existing tickets in A have been rebooked into D.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:18 pm

So no more instrument-supported upgrades to 3-cabin F?

Then I guess today is the official end of international first class. Even though it was nothing more than Business+ in the final days, the mere fact that one had to make a payment (in some form) to upgrade in specific RBD's, meant that it was still considered a separate class of service. It's not a separate class anymore if someone on a business ticket can just assign a seat there without additional payment without a change in ticketed RBD. Then it's just a business class with a better seat, aka Business+, but from now on also on paper and on your ticket.

Goodbye INTL F, you had a glamorous 92-year run, an excellent hard-product, and many satisfied pax. You got caught in the circle of devaluation and you didn't deserve to die. Let your demise be forever a word of warning for what can happen if an airline keeps removing perks to justify lowering prices.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
R class seats no longer showing in expert mode

I’m using an iPhone and iPad and when I do flight searches, the details sections no longer list R class seats available. All the other draw classes are listed but not R#or RN# are showing. Is this a glitch or new UA policy. Or is this just an IPhone/iPad issue???
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
R is replaced with PZ, which is currently listed at the end.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 20, 2018 at 1:06 pm Reason: cleanup after merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.